Need help identifying this Penn side plate

Started by Jenx, May 17, 2017, 10:11:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenx

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify this plate. It's the same size as a Surfmaster 100/200, but it has no name or label on it. Thanks.

mhc

155 beachmaster plates are the same size and screw pattern as the surfmaster 100 or 200.

Mike

P.S. I just checked penparts parts list for the 155 and it seems the 27-155 plate also fits a few others;

"Left Side Plate on: 155, 160, 165, 180, 185 Baymaster.
Right Side Plate on: 155-LH ASSEMBLY: with clicker as shown in photo
"
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Jenx

Quote from: mhc on May 17, 2017, 10:36:44 PM
155 beachmaster plates are the same size and screw pattern as the surfmaster 100 or 200.

Mike

P.S. I just checked penparts parts list for the 155 and it seems the 27-155 plate also fits a few others;

"Left Side Plate on: 155, 160, 165, 180, 185 Baymaster.
Right Side Plate on: 155-LH ASSEMBLY: with clicker as shown in photo
"

Thank you for the help, Mike.

Alto Mare

Yep! you could do many combinations with that size plate. Those are the plates I use on my personal surfmasters.
I like the idea of being able to replace the clicker spring... if needed.
You could take a beachmaster and replace the right side plate with the surfmaster plate as well, this would beef up the reel, not that the beachmaster couldn't handle its own.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

One of the reasons Penn was so competitive back in the day was the exchangeability of parts. Lots of reels used the same tail plate. Otto handled his inventory with great expertise.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Whit

Yes, I love the ubiquity of the Penn approach.  Back in the day they used to put out an interchangeability/substitution chart for all reel models in the back of the brochure that came with each reel.  It would get updated as additional models came out.   I still refer to mine.  For example a couple weeks ago found an aluminum spool for a Penn 110 (1/0) on a flea bay 285 for a song.

Bill B

Whit, that sounds like a great resource....is there a way you could scan and post it?   I could really use that kind of information. Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!