stuck bail roller and screw

Started by ScottOz, May 19, 2017, 12:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottOz

Hi guys,I have a Shimano tss4 spin reel that is about 17 years old.The bail roller and screw are sized and I can't undo it to get a new bearing.Any ideas how to unseize the screw? or where it may be possible to get after market parts.Love my old work horse and not ready to retire it.Lost a 6ft bull shark awhile back because of the seized bearing.Any help would be well received.Thanks Scott.

philaroman

not 100%, but pretty sure your reel is a revival of a much, much older design/platform from the 80's (Triton, AX, original Baitrunner, etc.)...  can't tell from online photos whether your reel has the old-school small, simple bushing line roller or if the revived version was upgraded to the large, modern Poweroller that holds a bearing (or can be upgraded to a BB, or even two)

you should do some close-up photos & indicate line capacities as shown on spool (Shimano went through several changes in size/line-class designations that can be cross-referenced by capacity numbers)

Midway Tommy

First try soaking it (laying bail arm & the roller on it's side in a shallow puddle) of penetrant for a day or so. If that doesn't work try heating the bail side with a hair dryer or heat gun and add ice to the screw head (expansion/contraction at the same time). Either way, try tightening the screw a skosh before loosening it. A little movement can break it free.

I would suggest a vinegar soak for that connection but the parts look to be painted or anodized and the vinegar would more than likely screw up the finish.     
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

ScottOz

It's a triton speed master special. Tss-4.After having better look and think about it, it has a small roller that is more then likely just bushed.Will try and soak it in vinegar and if that fails coke.Thanks.

Donnyboat

Be careful of vinegar on any alloy or plastic parts, maybe auto transmission oil could do it, auto transmission oil & acatone 50/50 mix, is best for rusted parts, but not sure about the acatone on alloy or plastics, heat & ice sounds good, good luck cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

ScottOz

Update.Got the screw out after a half day soak in vinegar.The roller is chrome plated brass.The roller is still stuck to a shaft of sorts, it turns but is really stiff.will leave over night in thinners and oil mix.still cant tell in there are small bearings in there.

Midway Tommy

It's a bushing (#2095) not a bearing. Most likely teflon. They can be difficult to extract without a perfect size punch. I generally insert a small straight bladed screwdriver from the flanged end & try to get it to turn a little. Once I get it to turn I use a punch, small phillips or insert the straight screwdriver into the other end and push it until I get it to move out enough to pull it the rest of the way out. If you are careful it should be reusable. Worst case scenario, cut it out & replace it with a new one. Check the roller for braid line cuts. Braid is disaster on older non-carbide or ceramic line rollers & rod guides!    

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

ScottOz

Thanks Tommy.The roller came off easy today after a overnight soak.However the bush seems a bit swollen and tight on the shaft.I did not even attempt to get it out of the roller as I felt it would break for sure.I wrapped some fine sand paper around a very small screwdriver and gave it a touch up so it would easily slide on the shaft.There was a synthetic washer of some sort either side of the roller that have broken and need replaceing.Will go to the tackle shop and see if they have something that will work.The roller it self dose not have braid cuts,but the chrome plating is coming off on the edges.I also chipped some off when grabing with pliers.Where the line will mainly go in the center is fine.Will givevthe rest of the reel a service next weekend.Should the drag washers be dry or greased?Think they are felt from memory,but have some sort of lube.

philaroman

if you go part hunting (esp. if you can bring the reel with), check also for old Spheros & Baitrunner hardware [RD 0727 roller / RD 2819 bushing; BR 0191 roller / BR 0693 bushing] -- methinks one of those combos should have a brass bushing & be compatible w/ your reel...  the little individual parts may be slightly different (?different rollerID/bushingOD?), but the complete roller/bushing/(liners?) assembly as a unit, should fit perfectly

exp2000

Quote from: ScottOz on May 21, 2017, 10:58:05 AM
Thanks Tommy.The roller came off easy today after a overnight soak.However the bush seems a bit swollen and tight on the shaft.I did not even attempt to get it out of the roller as I felt it would break for sure.I wrapped some fine sand paper around a very small screwdriver and gave it a touch up so it would easily slide on the shaft.There was a synthetic washer of some sort either side of the roller that have broken and need replaceing.Will go to the tackle shop and see if they have something that will work.The roller it self dose not have braid cuts,but the chrome plating is coming off on the edges.I also chipped some off when grabing with pliers.Where the line will mainly go in the center is fine.Will givevthe rest of the reel a service next weekend.Should the drag washers be dry or greased?Think they are felt from memory,but have some sort of lube.

Yeah. This brings back memories. I dealt with the flaking chrome by buffing the roller back to brass on a rotary wire brush and then polishing on a felt buff.

For felt washers I use the DSG300 grease recommended by Daiwa for this purpose and then apply a couple of drops of Inox MX5 teflon lube. However, I have observed that felt washers typically come oiled from the factory.
~

Midway Tommy

Once the plating starts coming off the line guide it's time for a new roller guide. Plated guides aren't the most desirable and any peeling anywhere on the roller can easily weaken line. Brass is way too soft for a line guide. Best to try to find a carbide, ceramic or SS roller guide if possible. They will last 10X longer than a plated guide. Just about any reel repair shop should have something of quality to fit your reel. Just take the bail & arm with you & find suitable replacement.   

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

ScottOz

I have put this repair off for a long time knowing that part's a no longer available for this reel.The tackle shop also said atleast at the moment you can still use the reel although not ideal.I am doubt full that shimano have part's for similar aged reels with compatible parts.Will ring shimano today and see if the fishing gods are smileing on me.

exp2000

Quote from: ScottOz on May 21, 2017, 08:19:18 PM
I have put this repair off for a long time knowing that part's a no longer available for this reel.The tackle shop also said atleast at the moment you can still use the reel although not ideal.I am doubt full that shimano have part's for similar aged reels with compatible parts.Will ring shimano today and see if the fishing gods are smileing on me.

Yep. Shimano parts for this reel would have evaporated many years ago.

You might fluke a match from the likes of an early baitrunner wreck, but I do not know for certain.

Unless you can find someone sitting on an old parts stash somewhere, you really ave no option but to work with what you have.

This model was pretty popular in it's heyday.

I am assuming that you are in Australia Scott? Where are you located?

I have a friend who might be a long shot but I could ask him next time I speak to him.
~

ScottOz

Hey exp 2000,yes in Oz just north of Brisbane a.Gave Shimano a call today and you would not believe it they had a few rollers and the Teflon bush for it and the screw that holds it all in place.Ordered 2 of each.Only thing they didn't have was the spacer washer.So happy to give the old girl a new lease on life.Thanks to all who offered advice.