2018 Sneak Peak - PENN International VI

Started by Penn, May 19, 2017, 03:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Fantastic, Tony --

Thanks!

We should all be grateful that Penn is so proactive with this superior line of proven reels.

Can't wait to have one on the bench for a pre-fish service -- and to become more familiar with this new lineup.

The initial features pointed out are very well thought out.

One question:

If the A/R is silent -- does that mean there is just an ARB Bearing?  No dogs?  That might be a concern -- but I am sure that there is an explanation that makes sense for this capable line of reels.

Bravo!!!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

conchydong

That will get your juices flowing! Nice.

Penn

Quote from: foakes on May 19, 2017, 05:31:25 PM
Fantastic, Tony --

Thanks!

We should all be grateful that Penn is so proactive with this superior line of proven reels.

Can't wait to have one on the bench for a pre-fish service -- and to become more familiar with this new lineup.

The initial features pointed out are very well thought out.

One question:

If the A/R is silent -- does that mean there is just an ARB Bearing?  No dogs?  That might be a concern -- but I am sure that there is an explanation that makes sense for this capable line of reels.

Bravo!!!

Best,

Fred

Hi Fred,

We will post more info and specs as we get closer to ICAST, but no ARB. 

tony

foakes

That is good -- Thanks again, Tony...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tightlines667

Tony,
Thanks for sharing the sneak peak at the new product line with us here!

That reel looks good.  

I like the new quadrant/stike preset indicator, and the new shift button (hopefully its aluminum now since the plastic ones broke frequently.  More importantly the redesigned lever looks like it may solve the water/salt intrusion issues that were so common with the old design.  I am hoping the cam assembly was redesigned to be a bit larger in diameter as well, since they had a tendancy to bind following salt intrusion and storage, though I suspect it remains the same (then existing cam parts and production-related stuff remain usable on these models).  I am interested to see the newly designed dogs, and whether the drag or 2 speed mechanisms have been modified as well.  

I like what I can see so far.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

reel man

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

I haven't seen the schematics, but I very much doubt that these reels have anti-reverse bearings. There are ways to make mechanical dogs silent -- Okuma does it on their Makairas and the smaller Avet reels (HX and smaller) have quiet, if not silent dogs -- and I'm sure that Penn did something similar.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Hodgeman

MarkT

When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Tunanorth

Quote from: reel man on May 19, 2017, 08:17:14 PM
Would like to know the gear ratios.

VISX's:
12=5.1-1/1.8-1
16=4.6-1/1.6-1
20=4.1-1/1.4-1
30=4.1-1/1.4-1
50=3.5-1/1.3-1

doradoben

Very nice!! Will the 20 have a spool about as narrow as an International ll 20T ??

Tunanorth

Quote from: doradoben on May 21, 2017, 01:25:02 AM
Very nice!! Will the 20 have a spool about as narrow as an International ll 20T ??

I'm old enough to remember the 20T, but too old to remember the exact dimensions!
The answer is "probably", and the capacity is 365/50 mono or 750/100 braid.
Max drag 50 pounds, weight 51 ounces.