2018 Sneak Peak - PENN International VI

Started by Penn, May 19, 2017, 03:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Finally a look inside.  That is a pretty significant set of changes there.  Looks like a lot of good changes.  That clicker looks to have been beefed up, while new AT setup, different drag/cam setup, etc.  Can't wait to see the schematics, and see that first tutorial.  In particular, I am interested in how the 130, and 80 class reels are built.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Rothmar2

Quote from: Tightlines666 on August 18, 2017, 05:47:08 AM
Finally a look inside.  That is a pretty significant set of changes there.  Looks like a lot of good changes.  That clicker looks to have been beefed up, while new AT setup, different drag/cam setup, etc.  Can't wait to see the schematics, and see that first tutorial.  In particular, I am interested in how the 130, and 80 class reels are built.

John

You know John there are a few extra 1%'ers that are not mentioned in this video, which make these even a far better long term proposition. The 80 VISW I got to open up is built as solid as a battleship with the internal componentry, huge shaft/bearings. The anodising is of much better quality than the VS Series. I have pictures I intend to post ASAP. There are a couple of "BUT's" I have however. These are arguably just personal observation/opinion things, which do not detract from the overall quality of these reels.

Will try and get the pix up as soon as I get home in a few days time.

foakes

This new, and well-planned Penn International product lineup featuring a full array of newly engineered reels. -- is very impressive...
________________________________________________________________________________________

This is a good, solid recipe...

You take a successful product line well proven over decades --

Keep the best of that product line's capable features --

Add into the mix a completely re-designed and re-engineered arsenal to suit big game anglers --

Incorporating some new features we had only hoped for -- and some we hadn't thought about yet --

Offer it in traditional Gold -- along with every product also offered in the more practical silver, not anodized --

Done...
________________________________________________________________________________________

It seems like the launch of a space shuttle mission would be easier and require less planning and listening -- then this major manufacturing endeavor has obviously required.

Penn has listened to the experts in the angling world -- such as many on our site and other sites, Cal Sheets, and others.

They have sorted the ideas and improvements -- keeping in mind quality, capable function, price, market competition, and durability down the road.

I am grateful to Penn and their people -- for their investment & committment to proven quality.

Thank You!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tunanorth

Maxed Out

What about us folks that don't do bloodydecks ?? I live in Washington state and the washington BD forum is famous for embracing the nastiest of the nasty people and all the good fishermen know that and stay away from that website. I won't click on anything BD just like lots of folks I know
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

conchydong

Don't click on to the Washington forum. It's like a TV, watch the channels that you like.

Rancanfish

Yes, BD has some awesome folks.  They are where you find them.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Tunanorth

For PNW albacore news, if you don't like BDO, the linked "Salty Dogs" site is pretty good.
http://www.ifish.net/board/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Dreamweaver

I just picked up a 80visw and have to say I'm a bit disappointed. 
Not too much changed compare to the older models. These do not have a pull drag, the drag is still on the left side, same weigh, no silent dogs... if you look at the schematics between the VSW and VISW, they look almost identical. 
Also, maybe it's just my reel, but the left side plate color (gold) is way off and the anodizing has patches where silver is showing through.  Got a great deal on it to replace my 30+ year old 80TWs but I'm seriously thinking about returning it and go a different route, maybe Okuma Makaira... I really want to like penn since my 30+ year old TWs still functions flawlessly but I need the low gear now that my young kids are doing most of the reeling these day...
Need some help deciding!

Penn

Dreamweaver,

The 80 and 130 did not have many major changes, we were upfront about that since the beginning.  The pull system is on all models except the 80 and 130.  The gold anodizing should not show any silver, did you purchase it new?  

tony

Dreamweaver

Yeah I got it new sealed in box from tackle direct. That a look at the pics, did I just get one that slipped through QA? 
I guess I was just too excited to hear about all the improvements and didn't notice they weren't on the 80s.  Like I said, I'm a big fan and my three 30+ year old TWs has preformed flawlessly for decades, just a bit disappointed with all things considered.

Penn

Thanks for the pics, it most likely happened due to the frame not being completely cleaned before anodizing.  We would certainly replace the frame if you would like it repaired.  If you wanted it replaced Tackle Direct would be the way to go (assuming it falls within their returns period). 

tony

Dreamweaver

Thanks Tony, really appreciate it.
I spoke to Tackle Direct today, they are sending me a replacement. All good.