international vsx

Started by Hodgeman, May 20, 2017, 02:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgeman

I was wondering if there's a way to make the vsx have silent dogs I hate listening to it

josa1

I have a Penn International 16VSX and totally agree with you.

Love to fish the reel with 80 pound/100 pound spectra and have caught some nice fish on it.  Great free spool and a strong, consistent drag with no fade.  Plus it casts great and you can fling a sardine a good distance from the boat.

I've tried a few things to make the anti reverse dogs stop making so much noise but have been totally unsuccessful. I've tried taking some of the "bend" out of the copper springs and loading up the drag cover with grease to no avail.

There's got to be a way.....If you know how, help us out!

josa1

alantani

there is now, it's the traditional design.  i have not seen the new vi's, but i have an idea of how they would have done that.  the new design would be perfectly reliable at 100%, but if the new design is 100%, the old noisy design would be 110%!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Benni3

Quote from: alantani on May 20, 2017, 04:03:57 AM
there is now, it's the traditional design.  i have not seen the new vi's, but i have an idea of how they would have done that.  the new design would be perfectly reliable at 100%, but if the new design is 100%, the old noisy design would be 110%!
I like the sound of my 50vsx ,,,,let the dogs bark

Hodgeman

so after looking into some reels and how a silent dog system works I'll stick with the dog system seems much more reliable.. sorry for a late entry

FatTuna

If you put a liberal amount of grease on the dogs, you can quite them down a little.

Personally, I like the noise.

Rivverrat

There are permanent coatings, most are teflon based that will silence the clack of the dogs down to a snicker. These coatings also need no lubrication & are unaffected by salt water. Yes, I said no lube needed. Except for bearings.     
Why we havent seen reel manufactures making use of these plating methods is beyond me....Jeff     

Hodgeman

maybe someone could give me help then I took it apart to add a bit more grease only taking the side plate off and the spool out I went no farther but now when I put it back together it does not want to do anything complete locs down... what did I do wrong?

handi2

If I remember right with those reels you have to put the bellvilles on top of the pinion bearing first then slide the spool with pinion gear into the reel.

Also when putting the left side back on position it so you can turn it counter clockwise as you put it on and line up to the harness lug. This will put the dogs in the right place.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Hodgeman

I'll give that a retry by starting it on the spool first this time

Hodgeman

it's like it's dropping to far in the clicker is like stuck on

handi2

Make sure the Belleville's are like this ()().
Gulf Breeze, FL

Hodgeman

it only has one set () so it's like that it's blowing my mind

handi2

There will be 2 more somewhere  ???
Gulf Breeze, FL