Late Day HH Bouy Run

Started by Tightlines667, May 21, 2017, 11:20:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Me and my girlfriend took the Hiilawe out on a late day HH FAD bouy run yesterday afternoon.  

I spent the morning working on my boat and wanted to give her a post-fuel system service shakedown cruise while taking advantage of the lull on the tradewinds.  We left the dock at the crack of 3:30pm.  Reports of small marlin on the outter ledge, and Aku/Otaru at the HH FAD bouy helped form the plan of action.  Winds were forecasted to blow 10-12knots picking up to 15+ in the evening.  We put a 5 rod spread of 4 Polu Kai small Shaka marlin baits, and 1 small malolo jet off of the center and trolled at 7 knots towards the HH.

As soon as we crossed the 1000' ledge we hooked up to a nice (~250lbs) Blue.  He hit the port long rigger (black bait) on a hot-rodded 9/0 spooled with 650yds of 100lb JB solid tied with an FG chain to a 150yd 100lb mono topshot.  The fish grabbed the bait and turned upwind (astern).  He ran off the 150yd top shot while making a turn to port and continuously jumping.  He then turned downwind and started running at the boat while jumping a few more times.  The fish was lit up with beautiful bronze highlights and was close enough that we could see eye-to-eye.  I slowed the boat and left the helm to help clear the last 2 lines.  The fish turned back to starboard, and the line went slack.  I think I had a pretty good hook set, but made the rookie helmsmen mistake of taking my attention off of the fish.  Anyway, the fish put on a spectacular show, and gave the newly completed reel a good test.  Drag was silky smooth, and the FG chain held up.  Also, I wasn't quiet sure how the 2 of us wete going to deal with a Blue Marlin boatside.  He would likely have been tagged and released.

I then switched out our spread to 3 small jetheads, and 2 tuna clones in anticipation of an Aku bite.   We made our way to the HH bouy and were dissapointed to see no signs of life.  We made several passes and a loop along the nearby ledge.  Right as the sun was reaching the horrizon, the winds kicked up to ~15-18knots , and as if on cue, the waters and skys erupted with life.  We chased the large school of Skipjack and cloud of Wedgies, Sooties, and Boobies upwind several miles but just couldn't get the baits in front of them.  We got a tangle, and lost the fish sorting things out.  Turned the boat for port and headed back uphill as it got dark.  Things layed down back inside of 10nm and we hit the dock at 9:30pm.  

All-in-all a successful trip in my book (despite coming home empty-handed).  We had some excitement, and the engine ran great.  Also, happy to see that we only burned 9 gals in 6 hours.  

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Alto Mare

Wow John, excellent report! I see a few 9/0's, did you have 4 and an international? love the back of that boat, great job ! ;)

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 21, 2017, 11:39:48 PM
Wow John, excellent report! I see a few 9/0's, did you have 4 and an international? love the back of that boat, great job ! ;)

Sal

Actually Sal, I was running all small AT specials...

2-9/0s, 2-6/0s, and a 4/0 (w/lee pro plates).

This is my light spread and should be fine until the big fish show up (which is basically any day now).  

I am building 2-14/0s and 3-12/0s spooled with str8 130lb and 100lb mono respectively.  I aim to test out these insert kits for a season or 2 before upgrading to Internationals (hopefully?).  Ths 14/0s are going on Hawaiian Custom 130 class stubbies, and the 12/0s in my custom Rainshadow Stub 80s...

John
Hope springs eternal

mo65

Sounds like a great day!  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Donnyboat

John, good report and photos, thanks for showing, all good value, you should have some fun when you get the other reels going, good luck, cheers don.
Don, or donnyboat

Shark Hunter

Great Rigs John.
Glad to see you got the Dyer out.
Looking good my Man. ;)
Life is Good!

Army_of_One

Quote from: Tightlines666 on May 21, 2017, 11:46:49 PM

Sal

This is my light spread and should be fine until the big fish show up (which is basically any day now).  

I am building 2-14/0s and 3-12/0s spooled with str8 130lb and 100lb mono respectively.  I aim to test out these insert kits for a season or 2 before upgrading to Internationals (hopefully?).  Ths 14/0s are going on Hawaiian Custom 130 class stubbies, and the 12/0s in my custom Rainshadow Stub 80s...

John

That's pretty!  :o  Where are you running out of?
Another day in Paradise!

STRIPER LOU

Very nice John. That Dyer is an absolutely awesome boat!

...........Lou

mhc

Thanks for sharing John - I'll second Sal's comment about the boat, it looks like there's heaps of fishing room.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Army_of_One on May 22, 2017, 12:47:35 PM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on May 21, 2017, 11:46:49 PM

Sal

John

That's pretty!  :o  Where are you running out of?

Iroquois Point, Pearl Harbor-Ewa Beach side
Hope springs eternal

seacane

Hi John
Great report!
Is that a Dyer 29 with a Rockaway Chair?
Regards
Roberto

Tightlines667

Hope springs eternal

coastal_dan

Great report, thanks for sharing.  That photo of your cockpit in B&W with a little adjustment would make a heck-of-a computer background  :P

Edit: After reading it again...9 gallons in 6 hours???!!!! That's insane.
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...