Rod Maintenance

Started by Shark Hunter, May 22, 2017, 05:54:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

My rods are only used twice a year, but they are used from the Beach.
The worst of the elements. Sand, Salt and spray.
I noticed the guides were showing some age.
I polished the green right off with some Chrome Polish and lubed them up with some Pledge Furniture polish.
I always fresh water them right after fishing, but the salt is so corrosive.
These are no Jon Vadney's, but they aren't far from it. ;)

Life is Good!

Jeri

We use similar local products to Pledge furniture polish to keep all our surf rods in good order. The light silicone contnet is just right for slowing salt and sand adhesion to the components and keeping them looking new. We even recommend it for sectional rods that push together, as it keeps the joints free and operational. It also keeps graphite reel seats from wearing and getting nasty.

Have had a lot of issues with silicone sprays that are just too rich in silicone contnet - too slippery. One guy sprayed up the joints to avoid sticking, and second or third cast the top two sections seperated and shot out to sea. He was lucky to get them back. He soon reverted to Pledge type product.

Sometimes too much of a good thing makes matters worse.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Shark Hunter

You know me Jeri. ;)
I like to keep it simple.
I use what works for me.
I use only a few simple products for my rods and reels.
Tested and Proven.
No need to use anything else.
Be good my Man,
Daron
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

I never thought to use pledge.  Gonna have to try this out.  I was thinking of trying to find some kind of product to coat my reel seats and rod ferules in.  I've seen some green colored stcky anticorrosion product on a few of my reel customer's rods that they claimed works great for keeping the salt and corrosion at bay.  Wish I would have written the name down?

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Swami805

I use mop-n-glo on the rods,just a little on a cloth and wipe it down,seems to last a while too.
To keep the ferrules from sticking together put the male end behind your ear and spin it, my great uncle taught me that. Works great when you're in a pinch.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

droppedit

I've always used bowling alley wax on the new rods I make and tell others to use that or a good quality car wax. It makes the rinse off easier and if the rods are used a lot I recommend doing this a few times a year. Easy for me to say but you know what they say about riding in an auto mechanics car ;) When mine stuff looks too sleazy I just strip em down and rebuild. Stay away from Armour All and WD-40!

Dave
Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

Newell Nut

Penn makes a rod and reel cleaner that comes in a spray bottle. Works great and have used it a couple years now.

bhale1

Pledge....
Love that stuff! Been using it for years when I pull the boat out after a days use( talking freshwater tho)!
Quick spray on the gelcoat and wipe down. Removes water spots and protects for the next day😀
Really helps since we store boat up at the lake a few hours away and can't do a full wash/wax after each trip!
Guess I need some for my rods now 😀
Brett

Normslanding

Pledge also helps keep scales form sticking. I have some friends who fish Yellow Perch on Lake Erie. The tiny bait scales are beyond belief. They use the pledge and now they don't throw away there reels every year. ONE! time I offered to clean there reels, that will never happen again. It is cheaper for me to buy them a reel than waste time cleaning. But they last longer with Pledge.

conchydong

Quote from: Newell Nut on May 22, 2017, 05:19:22 PM
Penn makes a rod and reel cleaner that comes in a spray bottle. Works great and have used it a couple years now.

I have also used this with positive results but my rods aren't "lemony fresh" though.

Shark Hunter

The lemony Fresh is a must have. ;D
Life is Good!

David Hall

Lemon pledge here too. 

steelfish

thanks Daron for the tip

I've been using Inox oil in spray in my rods and really happy with the results

http://www.inoxmx.com/inox-mx3-for-fishing/

INOX MX3 is safe to use around all your tackle. Spray it on hooks, swivels, traces, knives and hard bodied lure trebles and on any of your fishing gear that needs protection from rust or salt corrosion. Keeps them looking good and usable for many years.

http://www.inoxmx.com/inox/mx3-lubricant-food-grade/

its food grade so no problems with stinky oil or problems with the skin

The Baja Guy

Lowprofile

I could never keep up with the green corossion and pitting on chrome guides so I now use the black powder coated guides.  Freshwater rinse daily during fishing and wash them down when I get home. A soap and water solution with soft sponge or brush will get the slime and scales off then spray them down with a hose and rinse with distilled water. The distilled water absorbs all the minerals and salt and washes it away. I used to use a weed sprayer but don't have one at the moment and waste a lot of water dumping it over the rods and reels.

Shark Hunter

That is a good tip with the distilled water.
I can see a use for that sprayer now besides weed killer.
Life is Good!