Anyone cast their Senators?

Started by biggiesmalls, May 22, 2017, 04:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yogi_fish808

Aloha JT,
The 4/0, especially 113HLW has been a staple of shorecasting for Ulua/GT's here in Hawaii for a long time. I personally have a 2 113h's, a T4W with all the ss upgrades and one with a Newell Broadbill kit. I also really like the new US113W, IMO this reel is a better option if you want something solid out of the box vs spending 3x as much upgrading a 113H. We use these on specialized ~13' surf rods typically with straight 60lb mono and 8-10+oz weight. It's not uncommon for an experienced caster to reach over 100yrds and exceptional casters to hit 150+ with a well tuned 4/0 and their preferred rod using the pendulum technique. PM me if you'd like a little more info or tips on casting them. I'm not an expert but consider myself a capable distance caster.

Here's my hot rodded 113HLW used for slide-baiting.

Aloha,
Kyle

Here's a video of ulua casting in a cliff area

If you'd like to get the gist of what ulua fishing from shore is about here's a great video

Here are some factory ulua rods available for sale that would really be ideal for pairing with a 4/0 and are excellent fish fighting tools. IMO the Penn Carnage is the best off the shelf ulua rod, 2nd is Shimano Tallus. Custom rods are popular among the dedicated guys and can get very expensive with a lot of different choices in blanks and hardware.
https://www.hifishgear.com/collections/ulua-rods

theswimmer

Yogi,
Great vid and just one more reason to make it back to the islands.
Love the big 13 footers.
Best
JT
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Yogi_fish808

Don't be intimidated by the seemingly very large spool you'll be able to grip it fine with practice (a cut section of bicycle inner tube helps when u area really generating a lot of torque). If fairly small local fishermen (Think 5'6" Japanese guy with small hands) can blast out a 4/0 then anyone can with practice. If you have enough room at your spot, let your weight out ~5' from the tip and lay the lead down behind you at 2 o'clock. Instead of casting overhead, bring the rod around your side (maximizes loading the blank) and release. You'll need to practice to find the sweet spot as far as balance weight for the rod, speed of the come-around during cast to load the blank and the release point. A lot of beginners make the error of "pushing" the rod to generate power,  pulling down on the butt and using your legs tp step-in and push forward is much more effective.

Aloha,
Kyle

CapeFish

Yip, they have been used here for years till the Japanese made reels took over and they are rarely seen today, we fish them in the reel at the bottom position and just make sure you use one with an aluminium spool

theswimmer

Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on May 23, 2017, 06:45:23 AM
Don't be intimidated by the seemingly very large spool you'll be able to grip it fine with practice (a cut section of bicycle inner tube helps when u area really generating a lot of torque). If fairly small local fishermen (Think 5'6" Japanese guy with small hands) can blast out a 4/0 then anyone can with practice. If you have enough room at your spot, let your weight out ~5' from the tip and lay the lead down behind you at 2 o'clock. Instead of casting overhead, bring the rod around your side (maximizes loading the blank) and release. You'll need to practice to find the sweet spot as far as balance weight for the rod, speed of the come-around during cast to load the blank and the release point. A lot of beginners make the error of "pushing" the rod to generate power,  pulling down on the butt and using your legs tp step-in and push forward is much more effective.

Aloha,
Kyle

Ya I get it Kyle.
I have been surf fishing since I was a kid ,  although with big spinners , I started using conventionals about 5 year's ago.
Still fine tuning it. I can create some huge bird's nests!
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Gfish

Thanks for the detailed/informative post Kyle. I have a feeling I'll be re-readin it a few times, especially if I destroy my Ultegra spinner, or get spooled ona ulua. Casts a country mile, but it's mostly "plastic".
That website's a great reference too. I'll be spendin some time perusing that one.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

swill88

Thanks for the information and videos Kyle. Very much appreciated.

Steve

biggiesmalls

I need to think about this now - I've got a lot of options on hand. I was thinking of a 3/0 Senator at first because of the line capacity, but really anything that could hold around 350 yards of 20 pound mono would probably work fine for shark casting. So, options now are:
-Squidder 140
-970 or 980 Mag
-535 or 545 Mag
-2/0 Senator
-Jigmaster 500, 501, 505, or 506
Any of these will more than likely handle most sharks up to 6 feet, maybe even bigger. I think a 3/0 or 4/0 will be overkill unless I end up running straight mono, which isn't planned.

Oh, and Sal - that video made me mad for whatever reason ;D

Shark Hunter

I really liked that Video Kyle.
Thank You
Life is Good!

diamonddave

I can cast my 80 international 40 to 50 yards , the smaller ones 75 to 125 yards.

Tightlines667

Quote from: diamonddave on May 24, 2017, 01:06:11 AM
I can cast my 80 international 40 to 50 yards , the smaller ones 75 to 125 yards.

Casting an 80 International is a new one to me.  Guess you could use veey light drag to help keep that heavy spool under control?

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: Tightlines666 on May 24, 2017, 01:28:12 AM
Quote from: diamonddave on May 24, 2017, 01:06:11 AM

Casting an 80 International is a new one to me.  Guess you could use veey light drag to help keep that heavy spool under control?

John

I want to see video of this.....

Decker

This is a very interesting topic.   Casting from volcanic cliffs over the Pacific and reeling in bullet-train fish -- extreme fishing!  Very cool, and gets the blood going.  

On the other hand, it is nothing like surf fishing the U.S. East Coast.  ;D

diamonddave

not good at videos  set reel in free spool and cast educated thumb for control .

biggiesmalls

Kyle, not sure how I missed that video - that's a killer style of fishing! It's on my bucket list now, can't wait until the day I catch my first GT - and the day I catch one from shore will be twice as good :)
Really takes big game fishing to a new extreme.

As far as a casting reel, I am leaning towards a 535 or 545 Mag. After that it would be a squidder 140 or one of the jigmasters.