Just got a Pro Gear CS 625

Started by Phishface, May 24, 2017, 12:58:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phishface

I just bought a Pro Gear CS 625, I used to own one but a sold it to a buddy that really wanted it, Actually I traded it for a rod.
I couldn't be with out one so I bought another one off eBay. Went to service it and I had a very hard time getting the end cap off, finely smacked it with a rubber mallet and off she came. It was a little messy inside, covered with a light colored grease. first thing I noticed was the fiber drag washers were not stacked properly, and under the main gear there was a full-size drag washer not the smaller fiber washer I was expecting to see. Also the dog spring was missing from the dog assembly, it should have been there with all the grease holding it in place. The Bridge plate had allot of corrosion on it, which was surprising considering how much grease there was inside this reel.
    I think my questions are for Bryan or Alan, but all opinions are welcomed and appreciated. Should I get a new set of drags for this 625? is there another drag option for this reel to increase drag pressure and smoothness of the drag system? For instance, changing to a 5 fiber washer configuration instead of the 3 that came from the factory? Also is it a bad idea to have the full size washer under the main gear, It didn't look like it was interfering with the dog on the dog ratchet. And where can I get another dog spring for a CS 625.
I know thats allot of questions to ask, I just need some advice.   

Bryan Young

Quote from: Phishface on May 24, 2017, 12:58:46 AM
    I think my questions are for Bryan or Alan, but all opinions are welcomed and appreciated. Should I get a new set of drags for this 625? is there another drag option for this reel to increase drag pressure and smoothness of the drag system? For instance, changing to a 5 fiber washer configuration instead of the 3 that came from the factory? Also is it a bad idea to have the full size washer under the main gear, It didn't look like it was interfering with the dog on the dog ratchet. And where can I get another dog spring for a CS 625.
I know thats allot of questions to ask, I just need some advice.   
Undergear Drag Washer - normally the under gear drag washer is approximately 1" in diameter.  As long as the drag washer is not interfering with the anti-reverse dog, it'll be okay.

Currently there are no other options to increase the Drags on these reels but you may not want to push 22# of drag or will likely strip the gears...and gears are hard to come by.

Regarding the spring, I would recommend getting a new one. Unfortunately I don't know the size so I don't know if I have a replacement. I would recommend contacting Ken At Ken's Custom Reels in Oceanside. I'm sure he has one.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Phishface

Thank you Bryan, I knew you would know what to do. I met Ken on a trip out of San Diego last year, I'll give him a call tomorrow. the info on the drag system is a big help, Thank you Thank you.

Rancanfish

That's a sweet little reel, I hope you get it working for yourself.

I have two, including one BNIB.

If I recall I bought some drag material and punched out new ones.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.