Lessons from a Reel Repair Man

Started by Tightlines667, May 24, 2017, 06:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Yesterday I stopped into Roy's Fishing to pick up a replacement ring for my dad's 12/0 and finally had the chance to finally meet and converse with one of Oahu's oldest fishing reel repair guys.  Very knowledgable, nice shop setup with a good stock of parts and he has full machining capabilities and experience.  

I was happy to learn he uses many of the techniques suggested here in his reel services.  He prefers using corrosion block grease and believes it to be the best at preventing electrolysis.  He treats drags with Cal's, or Shimano grease on Shimano spinners, and packs trolling reel bearings full of fresh grease.  He machined his own bearing packer for this job.  All screws and any metal to metal surfaces are also coated in grease.  Very knowledgable and experienced.  He retired from his primary job as a diesel mechanic, and considers the 50 reels/week he services his hobbie.  He believes in using a very high quality electric screwdriver with a quick start/stop response and fine adjustable torque settings.  

A very enjoyable evening.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bill B

Sounds like an awesome way to spend some time.  I recently "helped" a friend of mine, who is a professional locksmith and safe cracker open a malfunctioning time lock safe.  Amazing it took him about 15 mins to get it open with the damage confined to only the locks.....hmmmm....maybe safes aren't that safe after all   :o   Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mizmo67

Sounds like a nice way to spend an afternoon. We always learn from each other!
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Bryan Young

OMG, I cannot believe you got a picture of the bearing packer
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 25, 2017, 01:03:31 AM
OMG, I cannot believe you got a picture of the bearing packer

I know.. right!

Actually a really good design.  Drop any size bearing on top, connect a grease gun to the zerck fitting. Set the centering cone on top. Squeeze the grease gun while applying downward pressure on the cone, forcing the grease down into the bearing. (No patent on this one!)

He also recommended using a milling machine instead of a drill press for drilling out screws.

He believes that improper rinsing of the reels and forcing salt into the reels is the cause of most problems.

He brought up a good point about star drags: When the drags get hot, the grease on the gears gets liquified and displaced. Use of a high temperature is recommended and/or make sure to regrease the gears after catching a good fish.

Wise man!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.