5 Day Rig

Started by Fleet, May 24, 2017, 07:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your main go to rig for Gaudalupe Island ?

Replies
0 (0%)
Pics.
0 (0%)
Info
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Fleet

Just want some members feed back on a main go to rig for the island. The do all rig if there is one.

MarkT

I'll be there for the first time in a few weeks.  I'm planning on an HX Raptor with 500 yds of 80# spectra and a 60# topshot on a Phenix phd700x2h as my go to rig.  Others I know have used that exact same rig.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Aiala

I hope you do get to Guadalupe; my ROYAL STAR seven-day leaves the day before y'all get back, and if you knock 'em dead, maybe we'll head out there as well. As for rigs, go heavy. Last time I was there, 40-lb didn't begin to cut it. It's imperative to land those YTs and YFTs quickly, or for sure you will lose them to the tax man... (Great White). Be prepared to set your rod on the rail and GRIND.  :P

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Porthos

Daiwa 400H w/ 5 CF + 1 (delrin), 113H powerhandle, 500 yds 100 lb Suffix Yellow, + 60lb top shot
Okuma Catalina CT-T-561H 50-80lbs

Swami805

A two speed with 60lb that will cast a sardine well. 7-8' rod you can lay on the rail. It's pretty hard to break 60lb on a fish. Go heavier if the tuna will eat it. For dropper loop yellows 80 or 100lb so you can try to keep them out of the rocks. Should have a kite reel on the boat but if you're bringing one bring the heaviest you own.
I'd think if you're just getting down to one set up a calstar 800xh with a high quality 2 speed and 60 topshot over 80 or 100lb braid. And eat your wheatys.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Jim Fujitani

My primary Guadalupe YFT rig last year was TLD20II, Tib frame, 80# spectra, 60# mono, on an older GUSA Monster Mag AR 59XXH (that rod barely bent).  I pulled hard and boated a 124# YFT, and pulled a hook on another about the same size.  I lost only one YFT to the tax man last year.  My line up included TLD30II (Wilfish frame) 100#spectra, two TLD20II (Tib frames) 80# spectra, and a Penn 16S 80#spectra.  Top shots were 60-100# mono and 50-80# flouro.

If I had the excess funds, I would look into getting a 775XXH or something similar that is easier for railing, and an Accurate Dauntless 600 2-spd.  I don't like long fights because the quality of the loins goes down with the build up of lactic acid in the muscle fibers, which goes along with keeping the fish away from the tax man.

Just my opinion.  Good luck!

Fleet

I two heavy setups, a Avet EX 50/ 2 reel going on a Calstar BF 6460 XXH rod the EX 30/2 reel is going on a Seeker CT3F63XXX rod, my other backup rig is a Tiburon TLD 30 2 speed reel on a Cal-Star 665 XXH rod I have four other 2 speed reels for  40 to 60 lb line Rigs I usually bring way too much on my trips but you never know what you're going to need.