Best Knot For Casting through guides

Started by Rivverrat, May 25, 2017, 12:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

OK, I'm aware it's not the best idea to cast any knotted connection for braid to mono through your guides. All knots I've tried that Ive used for repeated casting need to be checked frequently.

Does any one know of a knot that passes through guides smoothly with out causing the spool to blow up ?     

I'm really needing this for my short leaders because of frequent snags along with the ability to use less weight with more braid in the current than mono....Jeff

droppedit

A uni to uni has always seemed the smoothest for me on the cast. Depending on the size of the mono it can get a little bumpy on the retrieve.

Dave

Some days the supply of available curse words is insufficient to meet my demands.

http://www.turnerscustomrods.com

FatTuna

Swami805

Collins or albright for me, but checking them often is important.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

xaf

I, a long with quite a few others fishing salt water, have started using the FG to connect mono top shots to braid line.  It looks difficult at first but once you learn it, it is about the slimmest knot you can tie.  Do a search on line.  There are videos on youtube showing different methods of tying it.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Porthos

As Swami805 said, John Collins/RP knot. I cast it on 15lb braid to 12lb mono top shot to a 1/2 oz - 1 oz Kastmaster or Kroc during every session at San Diego Bay, and I average a session every other two to three weekends annually. Have use it for spinner casting up to 100lb braid to 100lb top shot with poppers though with increasing line weight, the knot smacking on the tip as it exits also grows more profound.

A hollow core serve is a better connection for the heavier lines but it is also a jump in complexity.

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Rothmar2

For solid core braids PE2 and up to PE8 (ie 20-80lb) its FG or PR knot for me. Plenty of options to tie either knot, and plenty of how-to's on youtube.

oc1

FG.  Hate to tie them but love to cast them.
-steve

wfjord

For tying a mono leader to braided dacron backing on casting reels I use a uni to uni with no problems.

For the newer generation braids to mono leader on a spinning reel I tie a triple surgeons knot on a doubled braided line and tie the doubled braid to the mono leader with a uni to uni. The triple surgeons knot on a doubled braid line is a quick, easy tie and works well on light & med-light lines.

fishhawk

Quote from: oc1 on May 25, 2017, 12:07:44 PM
FG.  Hate to tie them but love to cast them.
-steve
hey steve, is the fg knot that much better than the slim beauty knot?

Gfish

It might help to smooth out the knot passin(bumpin) through the guides if ya doubled up the braid to get it closer in thickness to the mono. I's thinkin to try somethin like contact cement(kinda rubbery after it dries) to smooth the knot "ridges" out a-little.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

CapeFish

It depends how thick your mono leader is. If it is very thick e.g. close to 1mm or even more then you can look at making a Wind - on with a bimini in the braid, otherwise it is hard to beat the FG. Are you using a multiplier? Sounds like it? You can then use th Bob Sands as well, very good knot and nice and small.  If it is a spinning reel and you want to wind the leader onto the pool, FG again works very well. Look on youtube, there are numerous tying tricks for the FG.

Dave Bentley

Only believe that which you know to be true.