Best Knot For Casting through guides

Started by Rivverrat, May 25, 2017, 12:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Decker

I've seen the FG and intend to try it but never tied it.  It seems pretty similar to the Alberto knot which I like for surfcasting on a conventional setup, for attaching shock leader to main line (mono or braid) or main line to leader.   The thinner line gets wrapped around the thicker one.  It goes through guides just fine, and I have yet to break one.

oc1

The advantage of the FG knot is that there is only one thickness of the leader material so it is the slimmest knot possible.  Anytime the mono doubles back on itself or crosses itself you double the thickness.  The trouble with the FG is that tying to a piece of mono that does not cross or double back on itself to the connection is sort of precarious.  I've had them start to unravel.
-steve

MarkT

A drop of superglue stops a knot from starting to unravel.

The best knot for casting is one that never goes through your guides.  I only use a few feet of mono or fluoro and use spectra for the rest.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

boon

If you're using anything thats doubles the mono/fluoro then you're losing out compared to the FG or PR.
They do take some getting used to and learning to tie but considering their strength and smoothness exceed that of all the traditional knots they are well worth learning.

EDIT: IMO the FG is the better casting knot; the PR can be a little bit rigid although I do give it the edge in terms of robustness and strength.

Rivverrat

Quote from: MarkT on May 25, 2017, 09:39:38 PM
A drop of superglue stops a knot from starting to unravel.

The best knot for casting is one that never goes through your guides.  

Mark that is in fact the ultimate truth of this. Also some type of glue gives a huge benefit when doing it....Jeff

Rivverrat

Guys I did forget to mention that I'm using 80 hollow & 60 copolymer lines.

The issue is frequent snags. With this level of line it's not the best idea to attempt breaking off when snagged from a canoe or small boat.
A 2 - 8 oz sinker propelled by the energy of stretched line from shallow water could be lethal. So I am frequently cutting my line when snagged.
The FG along with the use of glue does seem at this point to be the best option.
With loop to loop being the best by running the mono leader  into a length of hollow & splicing the loop.
However this can be time consuming & not as easy as tying a knot in the canoe or small boat....Jeff

boon

If you're getting snagged and cutting off a fair bit I wouldn't even bother with the glue. Just keep an eye on your knot, tie your FG with a few extra half-hitches down the mono and the braid and make sure you pull the knot HARD before clipping the mono, should stop the coils coming off the mono... at which point the knot is toast and needs cutting off and re-tieing.

Bryan Young

Slim beauty works great and is slim 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: Rivverrat on May 25, 2017, 10:29:52 PM
Guys I did forget to mention that I'm using 80 hollow & 60 copolymer lines.
Hollow makes this easy. Stick the mono/fluro/copolemer 3'-4' into the hollow and serve the conection, you will barely feel the splice going through you guides.

For L2L I pre rig several topshots and put them on spools. Tie your favorit loop knot, I use a surgon loop with 3 tucks,  then attach your spooled topshot.  It does not take much time on the water.

One thought, can you loose the "mono" and tie directly to your Spectra?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

philaroman

Quote from: Rivverrat on May 25, 2017, 10:29:52 PM
...A 2 - 8 oz sinker propelled by the energy of stretched line from shallow water could be lethal...
X2  ...no, wait X1000!!!
did exactly that w/ 20#braid/10#fluoro & got popped right between the eyes w/ 1/2 oz. egg sinker
:o :'( :'( :'(
I can only imagine what an 8 oz. pyramid could do after an 80/60# release
vehemently NOT RECOMMENDED!!!

Quote from: Rivverrat on May 25, 2017, 10:29:52 PM...So I am frequently cutting my line when snagged...
needless to say, I am now also much less reluctant to loose a few dozen yards to a shallow snag
[where's the lightbulb-over-head  emogi  ???  methinks that's a must for a tinkerers' Forum]

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Tightlines667

Thats how I tie mine.  Not a bad knot to tie.  Actually easier tyen a Bimini twist, whi h I have been tying for years.

Thanks for sharing Sid!

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Rivverrat

Whats the heaviest line & drag some of you are using with the FG Knot ?

Tightlines667

I am fishing 100lb solid core to 100lb mono with 22lbs drag at strike. 

Alot of the Ulua shorefishermen here are using thus knot to fish heavy mono leaders and higher drags.  The used to use uni to uni knots, now many are prefering the chain.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Rivverrat