Best Knot For Casting through guides

Started by Rivverrat, May 25, 2017, 12:36:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Quote from: mo65 on June 01, 2017, 02:30:49 PM
Quote from: Keta on June 01, 2017, 02:18:34 PM
Have you tried larger hooks?

I think the largest we've used is 8/0. Good idea Lee...maybe next time out we'll go larger.  8)

P.S. Jeff...sorry bro...didn't mean to turn your knot discussion into a hook discussion...it just sorta blossomed.  :-[

This is page 3, I think we can stray.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

MarkT

I used 8/0 EC circles fishing for YT at Cedros with Mackeral for bait.  You can cast them just fine even with a knot going through the guides!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rivverrat

Quote from: Keta on June 01, 2017, 02:18:34 PM
Quote from: mo65 on June 01, 2017, 01:39:37 PM
   Yep...we're big on circles here too. And again Jeff is right, for some reason or another, circle hooks seem to miss a lot of Flathead catfish. Flats are the only fish I don't prefer circles on, but we're working on it, looking for a way to make it work.  8)

Have you tried larger hooks?
This is a Triple Threat Hook next to a Gamakatsu 8/0. They were sent to me to try out. Haven't tried them yet. I've forgot them 3 times but tomorrow or Wensday I'll be using them.
They are strong. Hooked one into a tree & pulled, jerked with over 30 lbs. of drag with 5 different ones. None broke & only one was a bit misshapen.

Same treatment & I believe at least one Gamakatsu would have snapped....No worries Mo...Jeff

Rivverrat

This Gamakatsu Big River Bait hook along with King Kahles is my favorite big Flatty hook.

Here in Kansas you can only fish 3 rods with a special permit. When using this hook I dont use it on all 3 rods. I use on the rod thats in my hands or lap. Had a few gut hooked fish with them.
A nice thing about these hooks is they don't seem to get fouled by the bait as much as circles do.

Rivverrat

Quote from: MarkT on June 01, 2017, 02:48:00 PM
I used 8/0 EC circles fishing for YT at Cedros with Mackeral for bait.  You can cast them just fine even with a knot going through the guides!
;D Mark, That made me laugh.

fishhead69

The Bristol knot, AKA the RP knot, AKA the No Name knot named by Mark Sosin.

fishhawk

what about this "blob knot" I've heard about?

Rivverrat

Quote from: fishhead69 on June 04, 2017, 03:47:20 PM

Though there are some similarities the Bristol & RP are 2 different knots. While they both are good knots they dont cast well, smoothly through most guides...Jeff

oc1

Blob knot is very thin.  It's quick too if you carry a lighter with you.  The blob clicks a bit going through the guides but I haven't used it enough pass judgment.
-steve

boon

The huge advantage of the non-doubled knots (PR, FG) is that there's no double so the end of the mono faces towards the reel, thus the line flows very easily when casting. Any knot with a double will have the tag facing the tip (or out the side) and will catch going through them.

mike1010

Quote from: boon on June 06, 2017, 03:11:30 AM

The huge advantage of the non-doubled knots (PR, FG) is that there's no double so the end of the mono faces towards the reel, thus the line flows very easily when casting. Any knot with a double will have the tag facing the tip (or out the side) and will catch going through them.

This is true of Albright and similar knots, and is the reason I gave them up.  It is not true of the Bristol (no-name) knot.  The tag, such as it is, stands out at a right angle.  I say such as it is because the knot allows the tag to be trimmed really close, like a mm.  For a few years I've been using  a Bimini loop/Bristol knot combination to join leaders to braid, and have never had a failure.