Senator 114H build complete, a thank you and a parts list.

Started by troutman561, May 25, 2017, 03:46:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutman561

Just finished up the 114h as discussed here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21507.0

First I want to thank everyone who contributed on that post, I could not have done it without everyone's help and this great site. I want to especially thank Sal (Alto mare) for modifying my side plate for the double dog as well as answering the many questions I had. This was incredibly generous, especially since he would not accept payment for his time despite me pestering him multiple times about wanting to pay him. Thank you to Alan for the great site, tips, and quick shipping on the awesome handle and reel arm. Thank you also to Bryan for the quick shipping on the drag stack and then the quick help earlier today on getting it oriented properly. Again, I cant thank everyone enough and the generosity of everyone on this site has blown me away from the info provided to people offering to send small parts or assist in assembly for free.

Now onto the reel. I cleaned it up, lubed it up, and got it back together with only a few hiccups. Getting the bridge and gear sleeve to seat over the double dogs was not as hard as I expected thanks to the tip Sal gave me to put tape over the screws so you don't have to hold them in while turning the side plate around. I got everything back together and when I went to put the reel handle on the reel arm the screw would not go through to the handle. No worries as it only took a quick pass with a drill bit. Surprisingly the handle arm would not just slide on to the gear sleeve either. I had to be a bit firm with it and seat  it down with the handle arm screw but it got to where it needed to go. I was excited to have it back together only to have my excitement taken away by the fact that the reel would not engage the spool. So onto the diagram I go and into the left over parts I dive. Turns out, I forgot to put the spring disc in :-\ . So, apart the right side plate comes again. Thankfully it was a little quicker the second time and I got the spring disc in. Once I got it back together I popped her into gear and everything ran perfect. The drag is ridiculous on it now. I don't have a scale to put it on but it was not anywhere near all the way cranked down and it was hard to pull out by hand.

The next part will be for new people searching for answers as I was doing last month. Im going to list the parts and where I got them to hopefully make life a bit easier for whomever tackles this for the first time.

The stainless steel gear sleeve and the 115L dog for the double dog modification was from Cortez Customs. 2x AR dog modification is seen here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3077.0

The steel main gear was found on eBay and was from a 115L. I had to search multiple times daily for a steel main gear as I wanted to stay with the stock 2.8:1 ratio. An aftermarket stainless gear and pinion can be found at mysticparts.com

I did the same constant eBay searching and lucked onto a OEM full aluminum frame. A Tiburon frame was my second choice.

I bought the stainless steel reel arm and 5/0 handle from Alan Tani on this forum. As you will see in the pictures it is quite beefy.

The 7+1 drag stack was bought from Bryan Young on this forum.

I had to get the 5 hole side rings for this aluminum frame and those were found on eBay as well.

That about sums it up for my simple build. The reel should be a beast now and if this wind ever calms down I will put it to the test. Here are some before and after pics. I did not get any pictures of the reassembly process.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

troutman561

twotone

You have all that is needed for a killer set up.  PM me if you would like a stock alum spool. No worry here.
twotone

Army_of_One

That's an excellent job for a first time.  You made some fine choices on parts too.  I really like your one piece frame.  :P  You've seen first hand
that everyone on this board is closer to family than forum members.  Welcome to the disease.  ;)
Another day in Paradise!

mizmo67

~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

handi2

Now you are hooked..!!!

When I put double dog reels back together I do it like this.

I dont swivel the bridge around like a normal install. I have the main gear with the gear sleeve in the body of the reel and the dogs in place. I then put the bridge straight in and down onto the body, tighten the screws and then put the pin in the gear sleeve. Just don't forget to install the pin..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Army_of_One

Quote from: handi2 on May 25, 2017, 11:32:35 PM
Now you are hooked..!!!

I dont swivel the bridge around like a normal install. I have the main gear with the gear sleeve in the body of the reel and the dogs in place. I then put the bridge straight in and down onto the body, tighten the screws and then put the pin in the gear sleeve. Just don't forget to install the pin..!!
That is genius!  I just did it normal and fought the second dog through the gear hole on the bridge.   :-[
Another day in Paradise!

troutman561

Thanks for the kind words guys. It was fun and I am really looking forward to doing the other 114h once I can get it from my dad. Not sure if I'll go the same direction or maybe do stuff a little different. I may throw the high speed gears into that one and turn it into my wahoo reel.

As far as the double dogs go, a dental pick was key for me. I put the bridge straight on and used the pick to move the dogs into place while turning the sleeve with my finger. Hardest part was aligning the screws just right. The second time I had to do it I held the bridge down and used my electric screw driver on the screws. For whatever reason they would catch quickly and it made fast work of it.

Alto Mare

Now you are hooked..!!!

I'm not getting it, it would be nice if you could post a short video, would be interesting.

Quote from: troutman561 on May 25, 2017, 03:46:28 AM
Just finished up the 114h as discussed here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21507.0

First I want to thank everyone who contributed on that post, I could not have done it without everyone's help and this great site. I want to especially thank Sal (Alto mare) for modifying my side plate for the double dog as well as answering the many questions I had. This was incredibly generous, especially since he would not accept payment for his time despite me pestering him multiple times about wanting to pay him. Thank you to Alan for the great site, tips, and quick shipping on the awesome handle and reel arm. Thank you also to Bryan for the quick shipping on the drag stack and then the quick help earlier today on getting it oriented properly. Again, I cant thank everyone enough and the generosity of everyone on this site has blown me away from the info provided to people offering to send small parts or assist in assembly for free.

Now onto the reel. I cleaned it up, lubed it up, and got it back together with only a few hiccups. Getting the bridge and gear sleeve to seat over the double dogs was not as hard as I expected thanks to the tip Sal gave me to put tape over the screws so you don't have to hold them in while turning the side plate around. I got everything back together and when I went to put the reel handle on the reel arm the screw would not go through to the handle. No worries as it only took a quick pass with a drill bit. Surprisingly the handle arm would not just slide on to the gear sleeve either. I had to be a bit firm with it and seat  it down with the handle arm screw but it got to where it needed to go. I was excited to have it back together only to have my excitement taken away by the fact that the reel would not engage the spool. So onto the diagram I go and into the left over parts I dive. Turns out, I forgot to put the spring disc in :-\ . So, apart the right side plate comes again. Thankfully it was a little quicker the second time and I got the spring disc in. Once I got it back together I popped her into gear and everything ran perfect. The drag is ridiculous on it now. I don't have a scale to put it on but it was not anywhere near all the way cranked down and it was hard to pull out by hand.

The next part will be for new people searching for answers as I was doing last month. Im going to list the parts and where I got them to hopefully make life a bit easier for whomever tackles this for the first time.

The stainless steel gear sleeve and the 115L dog for the double dog modification was from Cortez Customs. 2x AR dog modification is seen here: http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3077.0

The steel main gear was found on eBay and was from a 115L. I had to search multiple times daily for a steel main gear as I wanted to stay with the stock 2.8:1 ratio. An aftermarket stainless gear and pinion can be found at mysticparts.com

I did the same constant eBay searching and lucked onto a OEM full aluminum frame. A Tiburon frame was my second choice.

I bought the stainless steel reel arm and 5/0 handle from Alan Tani on this forum. As you will see in the pictures it is quite beefy.

The 7+1 drag stack was bought from Bryan Young on this forum.

I had to get the 5 hole side rings for this aluminum frame and those were found on eBay as well.

That about sums it up for my simple build. The reel should be a beast now and if this wind ever calms down I will put it to the test. Here are some before and after pics. I did not get any pictures of the reassembly process.

Ryan, you did really good for the first time, it will get much easier from here.
Good job!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Army_of_One

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 26, 2017, 02:25:53 AM
Now you are hooked..!!!

I'm not getting it, it would be nice if you could post a short video, would be interesting.

Sal

I just tried it on a 113H and the pin hole on the sleeve is not high enough to install as it sits inside of the side plate.  It might work better on a side drag accessible plate in 113H. If the pin hole is outside of the side plate on the 114+ it is doable, but I don't have the time to disassemble the one I have.

Another day in Paradise!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Army_of_One on May 26, 2017, 04:44:06 AM
Quote from: Alto Mare on May 26, 2017, 02:25:53 AM
Now you are hooked..!!!

Sal

I just tried it on a 113H and the pin hole on the sleeve is not high enough to install as it sits inside of the side plate.  It might work better on a side drag accessible plate in 113H. If the pin hole is outside of the side plate on the 114+ it is doable, but I don't have the time to disassemble the one I have.

Thanks for checking army-of-one.

Keith, I just took a look and I must say, that was very smart of you.
The 113H with standard plates will not work, as army-of-one mentioned, but the one with the easy access drag system should.
I did not try this yet, but can't wait to give it a shot, you're idea should work from the 4/0's and up to the 16/0's.
The ring on the plate by the drags comes off on those.
You have thought us a valuable lesson, thanks for sharing you're idea with all of us.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

troutman561

Speaking of the drag access, is there anything other than a felt ring that can go into that area to prevent water intrusion?

Army_of_One

Quote from: troutman561 on May 26, 2017, 10:20:47 AM
Speaking of the drag access, is there anything other than a felt ring that can go into that area to prevent water intrusion?
Grease, lots of grease.  ;)
Another day in Paradise!

broadway

Really nice job, Troutman.  You will be proud and confident while fishing now that you can repair and maintain your own reel.
Keith, Awesome tip!
Thanks
Dom