Penn 16vsx drag

Started by Craigen, May 26, 2017, 09:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigen

Does the 16VSX have a "push" or "pull" drag system?
I understand the new VISX has a pull system on most models.

SoCalAngler

LD reels use the push/pull system. Push to get the reel in freespool and pull to add drag to the spool/reel. I don't know of a reel that pushes the spool to increase drag. I'm sure they may be out there but any reel with the drag washers on the handle/lever side of the reel use a pull through the lever and cam to increase drag.

Has anybody seen a a single drag reel with the drag washers on the left hand side of the reel? I'm not talking Accurate twin drag or Avets quad drag as these reels use the pull type of system to increase drag pressure. Just on these reels the pull works on both sides of the spool.

Robert Janssen

The 16vsx uses a push type, as have essentially all the Internationals.

...And as have the Shimano TTS, Tiagras, some Fin-Nors both old and new, some Everols, and more.
Some reels have also used a push system with the drag on the right.

The so-called pull system as is now common, appeared with the Shimano TLD in ca 1986. Everybody else just copied it.

Craigen

Thanks for the explanations.  So since most Internationals have the push drag, why do you think Penn is now touting the pull drag on their new VISX models?  I'm not clear on what makes one system "better" than the other.  It seems like it doesn't matter very much if equal drag pressure is pushed from right to left or pulled from left to right.  Cheers...

johndtuttle

Quote from: Craigen on May 27, 2017, 02:12:27 PM
Thanks for the explanations.  So since most Internationals have the push drag, why do you think Penn is now touting the pull drag on their new VISX models?  I'm not clear on what makes one system "better" than the other.  It seems like it doesn't matter very much if equal drag pressure is pushed from right to left or pulled from left to right.  Cheers...

Because there is significantly better free spool in conjunction with a thrust bearing in a "pull" system. I do not have confirmation (only speculation) that they have added the thrust bearing to the Internationals.

Robert Janssen

Weelll, maybe so, but then the same could be said for a push system if someone bothered to put thrust bearings in it. (having said that though, it isn't really a matter of improved freespool so much as one of lessened cranking resistance when using high drag pressure that the thrust bearings hope to achieve.)

But besides all that, yes... it is largely the same thing, just another means to an end. One difference would be that the ubiquitous drawbar pull system now so popular leaves the frame of the reel largely unaffected by drag pressure, whereas the usual push system uses the structural integrity of the frame as part of the system.

Not that it matters really. They both still catch fish.

Tightlines667

I thought this advertising might have something to do with a thrust bearing.  Lets hope they were incorporated into the new designs.

Somehow, I have the idea in my head that push systems are actually a bit more robust in general.  Maybe because I like a cam in the inner drive plate better then on the outside.  Seems better supported, and less prone to saltwater intrusion.  Also pushing the spool against the tailplate(supported by the frame) seems somehow stronger then pulling it towards the headplate.  In actuallity there really isn't much difference in terms of the loads on the components, just the direction in which they act.  Also, there are certainly many difderent designs utilizing each system.  Having the bellevilles hidden/protected (as in the TLD/pull design) has its advantages too.

John

I am glad you teo chimed in on this one.. got me thinking, as I suspected it would :)

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Craigen

A big thank you to all who responded.  Great answers to my questions. Looking forward to an inside view of the new VISX and some expert reviews of its improvements contrasted with the VSX.  Cheers...