Help needed Saltist ld 35 2 speed. Cant get drag without making it hard to reel

Started by Tom McKinney, May 26, 2017, 09:30:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom McKinney

First time with a lever drag. Went through the tutorials but I am stuck.

This is an ebay reel, had some corrosion and lots of dried crusty grease. Took it apart to clean it and had to reassemble from nothing.

If I adjust the preset to have 10 lbs at strike and 15lbs at full, its really hard to reel. Cant figure out what's wrong.

Perhaps I reassembled something wrong

handi2

Tom you will need to replace the right side plate bearing or "pinion bearing". It happens to most all lever drag reels when they get rusted and the drag settings are higher than the reel can handle.

If you can measure it for me I will get one coming your way, no charge.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Quote from: handi2 on May 26, 2017, 10:32:14 PM
Tom you will need to replace the right side plate bearing or "pinion bearing". It happens to most all lever drag reels when they get rusted and the drag settings are higher than the reel can handle.

If you can measure it for me I will get one coming your way, no charge.

Keith

X2..

Also ensure your belleville/spring washer arrangement is correct.. spacing along the spool shaft produces these symtoms as well.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

SoCalAngler

If the reel was working as it should before the service my bet is the belleville washers were mis-configured if you took them out. If not, since this is your first ld reel were you tightening the drag when playing around with it with the lever in gear? This can smash the pinion bearing if you over tightened it. So like the others the belleville washers and pinion bearing are the first things to check.