spool shims?

Started by ScottOz, May 28, 2017, 09:07:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottOz

Hey guy's and girls,
                            Serviced my old tss-4 spinner today. Put in the new bail roller and bush Shimano sent me.Internals were all pretty good apart from a bit of corrosion starting on the anti reverse switch rod.Wish I had found Alan Tani a few years ago.Yamaha  lube and reelx throughout now.The reel always seems to lay more line near the front spool lip.Wondering if spool shims would help and what to make them from or where to buy them.At the moment there is two washers of some sort behind the spool.Think I would try put shim in between the two existing washers.Any help much appreciated.TIA Scott.

Bryan Young

Hi Scott, sounds like your spacers have compress a little. You may need another spacer or two under the spool to center it again.  Try contacting Shimano again. It's a common size for many spinners. They should have them in stock.  Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ScottOz

Cheers Bryan.Think I will

give them a call.Will also ask what other parts they have left in stock for this reel.

Tiddlerbasher

I usually cut/stamp my own out of Teflon or delrin. A cheap set of leather punches from Ebay would do the trick. Like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6PC-Quality-Hollow-Hole-Leather-Gasket-Punch-Set-Leathercraft-Belt-Punches-/200990278969?hash=item2ecbf44539:g:zO0AAOSwrklVTKrF

Teflon also readily available in various thicknesses. Like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PTFE-Teflon-Film-Sheet-Plate-Thickness-0-3-0-5-1-2-3-4-5-6-8-10mm-300MM-/271991402341?var=&hash=item3f53f36f65:m:mzXydFfEm0Mg_kgboK0HKvQ

With these basic tools you are equipped for life ;)

Alto Mare

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on May 28, 2017, 10:24:13 AM
I usually cut/stamp my own out of Teflon or delrin. A cheap set of leather punches from Ebay would do the trick. Like these:

With these basic tools you are equipped for life ;)

Yep!...in most cases freespol will improve.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

philaroman

should be 1 thick (older) washer or 3 thin (newer) ones -- if you have 2, one probably stuck to the spool when you removed it, then fell off before the spool was replaced...  as Bryan said, same OD/ID for most Shimano's in same size range -- get a bunch from anyone who will ship by First Class Letter, so it's cheap  ...or just find a metal washer that fits between the 2 remaining ones

ScottOz

Thanks gents.Think we have hole punch set at work and there is a local guy that sells perspex and Teflon sheet that I might go see.