Sal, Thanks for the GURLY Lure!!!!

Started by El Pescador, May 28, 2017, 03:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

In preparation for my 60th BD "Wild & Remote" trip to Mag Bay, Baja,

I sent my two Penn Spinfishers to Sal to be...    SAL-a-TIZED!!!!!  Sal did his magic and got both reels in fish fighting shape,

but when I opened the box, guest what I found????

A GURLY Lure!!!!   You know a guy is comfortable in his own skin when he sends this stuff out!!!!!

With a note of well wishes of fishing sucess!!!!

So I thought, OK Buddy Boy, you want to have some fun....   Let's have some fun!!!

I took the lure with me to Mag Bay and to fish it there.

So, at the start of the second-day inshore fishing, I asked the guide to tie it on.  BTW, the 450SS reel was THE STAR of the Trip  - What a Snapper killer it is!!!!

They wanted to tie on this lure, but I told them NO WAY.

So we get started, Felipe ties on Sal's GURLY lure, and again, we are NEVER allowed to tie on hooks or lures, always our Mexican Guides or Deckhands do it, guess they don't trust our knots!!!!

Tried two casts, barely made it past the front of the boat, need some extra weight to get it next to the Mangroves, looked in my fishing bag, FOUND THIS!!!!   A Launcher!!!

Now for all you guys that fish the Gulf Inshore Area, you know about this product.  It was given to me by a guy BANGING both Ladyfish & Jack Crevalle in Key West.   We were in Key West in 2004, and if my memory serves me, there was, maybe still there, a Waffle House restaurant just as you land on the main island of Key West, driving south on Hwy. 1.  After Breakfast I walked to the water's edge, and watched this fisherman, just SLAM'N fish after fish.  I asked what he was using, it was a white foam plug, with white feathers over the hook, but more importantly, he had it tied to a Launcher, which allowed him to get the foam lure WAY... out there.   He looked in his fishing bag, and handed me 2 and told me to use them in good health!!!!

I hadn't dredged this lure 12 feet through the warm briny bay water...  BEFORE BAM!!!!!  Fish ON!!!!!!

And Sal!  Here is the Money shot!!!!  A kick-BUTT Snapper, for dinner I'm sure
;D

After this fish, we cut off the lure, safely packed it in my fishing bag, and went back to fishing with a popper.

Fish after fish, after fish...

But at Days end, tried to get the reel cleaned and apply some reel-x with a cloth, but a party broke out!!!

Fresh Oysters!

Fresh squeezed limes for my Margarita!

Thanks Again Sal, LOVED using the lure, now have it displayed in my garage along with the hook I caught my first Tuna with Dominick!  Making Fishing Memories!

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

David Hall

So I guess I need to slap a girly decal on all my lures.

Alto Mare

Ha Ha! Thanks for that terrific fishing report, Wayne! I'm glad that the reels (and the girl) worked out! Looks like you had a great birthday! I am close to that 60-year milestone, myself...another 20 or so years and we will catch up to Dominick!  :D
By the way, those lures are made by a retired Master Sageant and a partner, a pecentage of their sales goes to desable veterans.
I am honored to be added to your fishing memories with one of them! Next, I want to see the "big boy" in action!

Best,
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Yes Wayne you also caught your first marlin with me in the boat.  Admit it you can't fish without my mojo.  ;D I also think you got your second marlin on the Tank with me in the boat.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

El Pescador

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 28, 2017, 07:06:19 PM
... Next, I want to see the "big boy" in action!
Sal

Sal,

Funny you mention using the "Big Boy" reel (Penn 750SS),

was at Dominick's this last week, enjoying a Big Red from his vast wine collection, and I mentioned it is time we schedule a trip to Puerto Rico, pick up Joe, and head on down for some Tarpon Fishing.

The "Big Boy" reel is all gassed up and ready to be fished and an 80 lbs. Tarpon would be a battle worthy opponent.

So, I'll call my Cabo/Los Cabos Travel Dept. and get started on the Puerto Rico trip.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

broadway

If Sal sent me a brick with a hook I'd fish it and catch fish...
Happy to see you used that lure and packed it away, as you'll never forget the fish that lure caught ya or who sent it to ya.
Good stuff, Wayne!
Dominick is right on.  He does have a certain mojo to him... anyone who fishes WITH him catches fish.
Thanks
Dom

reelrepair123

what a bunch of great guys! ! !.   harryk

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

steelfish

now this is a great fishing story.

without pics I just wouldnt believe it, it would have been just a fisherman tale
The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

ChileRelleno

LMAO! Loving the Gurly Lure.
I'd frame that lure with a pic of the fish and the envelope.

Looks like a fun trip.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Steve-O

Great fish tale, Wayne! I use that kind of bobber in Alaska, except I painted the whole thing neon orange.

My buds are casting hard while I just lob the bomb across the river into the deadfall logs where the salmon hold.

Love your hat- Life is Simple. Eat, Sleep, Fish.