Penn Precision Blue Grease

Started by handi2, May 28, 2017, 06:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handi2

Have any of you noticed the difference in the new batches of Penn's grease? It's a different color and seems to be a little thicker. I like it better being thicker than before.

It looks to be the same grease used in new Abu Garcia reels.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

I noticed the color and viscosity is different.  Also, noticed after my container sat unused for a few months there was a clear oil that seperated from the grease base.  A quick mix and it was back to looking buttery.  I hope this seperation doesn't when applied to reel parts.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

If you look in the container of the old grease you can see the oil puddling up. Its been sitting for a few months.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Guess I must not gave left any of my old style grease sit long enough.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

Maybe you can see the blue oil now. It just needs mixed up.
Gulf Breeze, FL

reelrepair123

same scenario here.   harryk

exp2000

Well you all know my experiences and what I think of the stuff.

Maybe they went back to the old formula?

I hope that they have omitted any graphite from the new batches.

That would mean one less headache I have to deal with.
~

ScottOz

Hey exp2000,
                    You had bad results with that grease before? graphite absorbs moisture yeah? How did you find out that graphite was in their grease.Rang Shimano yesterday and they still have a ton of parts for my tss-4.Unfortunateley no main drive gear but all other gears and oscitalor slider.Scott.

bill19803

Just had  the  grease  separation  thing   with  Cals.  I use    hypo syringes   to  apply  grease   and i  fill   6   at a   time  and  that lasts a lonnng time.  Filled  them   yesterday   and  there     was  liquid in  depressions  in   can. Hope  thats  not  serious

exp2000

Quote from: ScottOz on June 01, 2017, 07:13:24 PM
You had bad results with that grease before? graphite absorbs moisture yeah? How did you find out that graphite was in their grease.

This grease has been the bane of my existence. If you do a search here or on my Facebook Group, you will see examples and discussion on how contact with saltwater petrifies this grease.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18326.msg193907#msg193907

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KimberleyRodandReel/

Quote from: ScottOz on June 01, 2017, 07:13:24 PM
Rang Shimano yesterday and they still have a ton of parts for my tss-4.Unfortunately no main drive gear but all other gears and oscillator slider.Scott.

Wow! That's just amazing. I might know someone who can help you out with the gears. PM me if you need them.
~

ScottOz

Hard to get my head around that a global reel manufacturer can market a grease that turns to a blue petrified turd if it gets salt water on it.mmm.might slip some blue food dye in the dogs food and save some cash. At least I now have a use for the landmines that plague the backyard.
Checked your fb page exp2000 some good stuff there.May join the page if that's ok.

exp2000

Quote from: ScottOz on June 02, 2017, 08:03:38 AM
Hard to get my head around that a global reel manufacturer can market a grease that turns to a blue petrified turd if it gets salt water on it.mmm.might slip some blue food dye in the dogs food and save some cash. At least I now have a use for the landmines that plague the backyard.
Checked your fb page exp2000 some good stuff there.May join the page if that's ok.

You are welcome Scott.
~

farnorthlbg

Ive noticed the same thing happen when I extract Yamalube from its caulk and place it in a small srew top container to take with me on extended fishing trips.

The oils 'bleed out' and seperate from the soap base

I wonder if its a trait of Lithium complex based greases (which both the Penn and Yamalube are)

Molybdenum disulfide grease does the same thing

I havent noticed it with the CorrosionX grease yet though (over-based Calcium Sulfonate complex)