Leader storage/control

Started by Gfish, May 29, 2017, 10:02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

So you'er fishin from a boat in rough seas, or even from a kayak in relatively calm conditions, and you need to change your leader. It can be real time consuming pain in the rear and my knot quality usually isn't up to parr 'cause of boat movement. In the kayak, sometimes by the time I'm done, I'm blowen a 150 yds. from where I wanted to be. Anyone use somethin that allows you to store multiple ready made up leaders in a pretty compact space and actually take 'em out without tangles n' knots. I'm talkin leaders that consist of a variety of terminal tackle parts such as swivels, bait hooks, flies, lures, weights, etc. I mitigate some a this by having 5 ready to fish rods on my kayak, but that causes its own tangle-up/room problems.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Rothmar2

Berkely Soft plastic storage bags are good for this sort of thing. Heavy duty zip lock bags inside a zip up outside cover. Quite compact and can carry at least 10 pre-made rigs.

http://www.berkley-fishing.co.nz/product/soft-bait-wallets/

philaroman

http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/lindy-riggers-lindy-rigger-x-treme-1-cd (seems kinda' big, but the inside of the tube is useful storage space, so it works out)

OR

my cheap-guy homemade version(s): empty tippet spools that snap together for the small stuff; bigger empty leader/filler spools glued together for bigger stuff...  w/ the spool arbors "rubberized" in some way -- self-adhering silicone tape, those thick, fat, lobster-claw rubber bands, etc.

STRIPER LOU

Agree with Rothmar on the storage bags. Simple and cheap.

I usually have a couple dozen or so, pre rigged, singly. Hardly takes any room up this way either.

If your worried about coil set, rig them up, add a weight, and hang them in the sun for a few hours. I do recoil them to about a 5 to 6" diameter. It certainly wont remove the coil set but it does make it a lot easier to work with.

...............Lou

ScottOz

Yep Rothmar2 got it right.Been using mine to put my shark rigs in for years.Just lube the zip often so it dose not get all seized up.

thorhammer

Not sure how long your leaders are but bps or coat hartys has kingfish rig bags with about 20 ziplocks anchored inside and the whole thing size of s football

kmstorm64

For the kayak, I use my pre made leaders with hooks on a section of pool noodle. cut it to size and throw in the tackle box, falls overboard ...it floats! Well except for the ones with the 6 once torpedo weights stuffed in the empty hole, that didn't work so well...lol
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Reel 224

A five gallon bucket is great for rigs and plugs...............................Joe
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

boon

As above, section of pool noodle. Or those little commercially made foam rig holders.

FatTuna

I use the Spiderwire leader wallets. It's a binder that zips up. You can pre-tie leaders, rigs, etc. Not sure what type of line/connections you are using but loop to loop is quick. Spend the time splicing leaders when weather sucks and then cut down on time when fishing. If you are fishing solid braid, you could always tie a bimini or just splice in a little hollow to get the loop.

mike1010

Here's my cheap alternative to a leader wallet:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00011KM3I/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Each "slot" is sealed with a piece of blue tape, giving me a place to label the contents (length, weight, ...).  The tape stands up to repeated opening and closing.  I've been using this for about 5 years, and it works for me.  Not sure about the tape in a kayak, though.

smnaguwa

Like kmstrom64, I use a modified pool noodle leader holder. I glue in a thin wall PVC pipe to stiffen the foam and then glue a strip of Velcro(the loop part) to the foam. Pieces of the hook side holds down multiple leaders. With PVC caps(with lanyards), you can store swivels, etc, and tether it to your kayak. 6oz lead will sink it, definitely.

Shark Hunter

Pretty Innovative with the CD Wallet Mike. I never would have thought of that.
My leader binder of choice has been these open water brand.
With my accumulation of surf tackle and new rig methods, I bought two Berkley bags this week.
These should take care of all my needs.
My Goal is to make one trip to the Beach, going light as possible for the biggest fish I can catch.
I'm tired of making four and five trips with all the gear.
G, The 606 binders should handle all your kayak rigs. They are compact and have held up for the past few years quite nicely.

Life is Good!

Jeri

Surf and Boat anglers in the UK use a lot of 'Trace Wallets' for their rigs.

www.veals.co.uk/acatalog/Trace_Wallets-p1.html

Very handy for ready made rigs, to change over, especially using a clip swivel or similar at the end of your leader.

sharkman

Zip loc bags.  I use snack size for small leaders, sandwich for longer ones, and put them all in a gallon bag.  I label each one with permanent marker for easy id. My buddy laughs at it he calls it the zip loc storage system.