Main Menu

New guy here!

Started by mechanicpsyco, May 29, 2017, 05:46:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mechanicpsyco

Recently moved because of work from Eastern Tennessee to Corpus Christi TX.  My family and I used to get to shark fish about once a year on vacation, now it is an every weekend thing! 
My two Penn Jigmasters were "relocated" by someone who felt they needed them more than they needed to be hanging in my garage.  So let the slow process of rebuilding the fleet commence.  The first purchase was a Penn Rival 20, Foreign made I know, but after removal of the levelwind mech it cast like a dream.  Put it on a 7' medium ugly stick.
Bought a 9/0 and a full roller rod from a friend more in need of money than I was. 
Scored a Long Beach 68 on Ebay. cleaned it all up and oiled it, loaded it with braid.  I must say after just testing it, this is my favorite reel to cast.  The whisper of the freshly oiled bearings and watching the line glide back and forth across the spool.............sorry I was having a moment!
The 68 was just cleaned and relubed, the chrome is pitted, but it was cheap and got me back fishing.  The drag kit has been ordered.  It is on another 7' no name rod that my "relocators" seemed to not want or need.
Bought the kids there rods back, they love to catch ladyfish in the surf, and they are awesome bait.
Lots of great information here.  Have cruised a while and never joined.
Seems so much more satisfying to buy the older reels that need help and bring them back to workable condition.
Ill stop rambling now....That is all.....

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

foakes

Welcome aboard!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

STRIPER LOU

Welcome! Your in good company here.

...............Lou

mo65

Welcome! Enjoy the forums...so much to learn!  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Benni3

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

Welcome MP.....Good to have you here, sorry about your equipment relocation....but on the brightside....looks like you have some much more capable equipment instock....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Midway Tommy

Welcome, glad you joined.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Tiddlerbasher

Alto Mare

Welcome Mechanicpsyco! yes it is a lot of fun bringing back the older reels better than original, I've done a couple myself. :)
Enjoy your stay.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Welcome!
Wish I could go Sharking every weekend.
I expect to see photos.
Life is Good!

theswimmer

Welcome Psyco!
You will fit right in.....
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn