New Fin-Nor Lethal LTL30ii Issue

Started by Wally15, May 29, 2017, 04:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally15

I bought a new offshore spinning reel (Quantum Cabo 100 PT) and they accidently sent me a Fin-Nor Lethal LTL30ii 2 speed by mistake. Now they want to make me a deal on the Lethal rather than go through the hassle of returns. They did send me my Cabo.
This Lethal is unusually "stiff" in high speed, handle somewhat hard to turn right out of the box, with no line or anything. Low speed gearing seems fine, or at least has acceptable handle resistance. Free spool is OK as well.
Anybody else have a similar problem with a new 2 speed? Any suggestions on a fix? I guess I could buy it and return it to Fin-Nor for repair or replacement under warranty. Or just send it back to the seller. I've been toying with the idea of adding a "spare" 2 speed so I can send my Penn 16VSX's out for service. But I don't need any more headaches, even if they are a "deal".
GA Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Nasty Wendy

It would have to be one hell of a killer deal.  Those reels are that expensive to begin with so for me to buy one with a problem.....don't know that there is a deal good enough.  They are $249 shipped brand new on eBay.  It sounds like it could have been a returned because of that problem and shipped to you instead of back to Zebco/Fin Nor. 

WAIT....  Buy it and then return it to them for replacement under warranty. ;D
Hi I'm Clay.
Lets raise our children to be Super Fishermen not Superficial men and women.

The more I interact with people the more I like my dog.

STRIPER LOU

These 2 speeds are decent reels for the money and the 16's, 20's and 30's sell well at the shop. It is a characteristic of these to crank a bit harder In the hi speed position than the low. A bit!

Inspect the reel carefully, especially the knob and handle area for marks as it could have been banged or dropped in shipping.

Their service is quite good and if they were to offer a GREAT deal, you may consider sending it back under warrantee and keeping the reel.

I was impressed for the price and own one in each size. Built well, 2 speed, 35lbs of drag, and reasonably priced is tough to beat in my book.

Let us know how you make out.

Have a great evening,  ..  Lou

handi2

Lou is right on. The higher the gear ratio the more resistance you feel when reeling in high gear.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Wally15

No evidence of any shipping damage. Own 2 Okuma and 2 Penn 2 speeds. None are anywhere near this stiff in high gear. The Penns are 4.3 and this is 6.3:1 but that shouldn't make THAT much difference. Even at $170, I'm sending it back. I have enough problems without buying more of them. Thanks for the feedback.
GA Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

maxpowers

Wally,

My lethal 16II was similarly stiff to turn from the get go.  HOwever once you fish with it or use it to spool lines on, teh reel becomes much less stiff.  not quite smooth but less stiff.  I think it is from teh grease they put on the gears.