grouper with light Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch rod

Started by ksong, June 01, 2017, 04:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ksong

I fished grouper with light Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch rod in NC yesterday.
I did not consider these light rods for grouper as you need heavy drag preventing grouper from going into structures when hooked.
But after catching tuna and other big fish using heavy drag, I started to think these rods might can handle grouper.
I can say with confidence now that these lighr rods can handle a decent size of grouper using 20 lb - 25 lb drag as I fought grouper using 25 plus lb drag yesterday.

FalconerRods

Hey Kil -

Nice fish!  Which reel is that you are using?  We did not get far enough out for grouper but I hope to try again next weekend. 

I fished the Federal Red Snapper Season June 1 - 3 out of Orange Beach, AL last weekend.  My buddy Colby 'Honey Badger' Beland and I fished slow pitch jigs on the B-631H2MF built as a spiral wrapped conventional rod almost exclusively and these things WORK.  I could not believe how well these rods handled big snapper and even one large Cobia.  I ordered two new blanks from Jignpop.com as soon as I got home. 

If you have never tried this style of fishing the takeaways for me are two.  First, this is a different technique and fish have not seen it.  It was more effective for us than live bait or dead bait when fishing public numbers.  That is impressive and reason enough to employ slow pitch jigging.  We literally got hit every drop for two of the three days. 

But maybe just as important is that this is a fun way to fish that does not wear you out.  I normally speed jig all day and there is no way I could possible overstate how much more fun this is (and how good it felt to NOT be exhausted after three days of fishing).    I have a 13-year old and while he struggles with a 300g conventional jigging set up, he could catch 24# snapper all day long with this rod.  Really a brilliant product.

Bill Falconer
Falconer Custom Rods
Birmingham, AL

ksong

Those are nice red snapper !
I am glad you tested the light Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch rods for them.
I know guys who fish big red snanpper use heavy and long rods.
But it could be changed after they discover the joy of the light rods for them while using the same drag as they use for the heavier rods.
It is not possible until recently until some light and strong rods with new technology come out in the market.

FalconerRods

Kil -

Which reels do you like for the slow pitch jigging?  Are you using PE-4 sized reels?  Or smaller?

Also, do you use the Ocean Devil or the Power Spell?  Thanks!

Bill

ksong

It depends on what you target. As I target bigger fish with the slow pitch jigging rods, I prefer to use JM PE3 or PW4 filled with 40 lb Jerry Brown Hollow which breaks at 60 lb.
Ocean Devil reel is OK, but not the same quality as JM PE reels.

FalconerRods

Yeah...I'd like to catch a YFT on that rod out of Captain Eddie Burger's boat this October when we make our annual trip with him.  I just wasn't sure how much reel I can get away with.  I think a JM Power Spell PE4 would do it.  Thanks!

ksong

We used heavier reels like PE6 or PE8 targetig yft with the light Cape Cod Slow Pirch rod jusf for line capacity of 60 lb and 80 lb lines.  But I landed 90 lb, 120 lb and 150 lb bluefin with JMPE4 reels.
If you don't do high sticking, you can land 100 lb yft with the light Slow Pitch rod.
Good luck with Capt Eddie. He is a great Capt.

ksong

Here is a video of fighting  a nice tuna with Black Hole Cape Cod Special rod.

Benni3

Yes but how good does it compare to the jiggmaster evolution titanium can you catch a delicious bass  :D

biggiesmalls

Loving those rod bend pictures!

Would these rods be appropriate for fishing stand-up with baits as well?

RowdyW

It sure doesn't look like anybody is sitting down.   :D :D

ksong

Quote from: biggiesmalls on July 07, 2017, 01:33:49 PM
Loving those rod bend pictures!

Would these rods be appropriate for fishing stand-up with baits as well?
In fact, I recommend the slow pitch rods for bait fishermen. You can detect any slight bites as tip is very sensitive and you can give pressure while fighting fish as the rods are so powerful.

ksong

Quote from: Benni3 on July 07, 2017, 04:17:31 AM
Yes but how good does it compare to the jiggmaster evolution titanium can you catch a delicious bass  :D
You might think Black Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch rods are just powerful rods as I show only big fish with the rods. But I catch 1 -2 lb yellowtail, scup in one  lb - 2 lb range or seabass in 1 - 4 lb range. These rods are the most versatile rods.

This is my catch on the Dry Tortugas trip on the Yankee Capt. I used only Black  Hole Cape Cod Slow Pitch rods from small yellowtail, snapper to grouper and AJ.

Benni3

That's cool,,, it's more interesting see everything you can do with these rods.