Penn 722 Spinfisher

Started by Alto Mare, May 14, 2011, 08:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishgrain

awesome Sal thanks! I have one of those that has been giving me trouble, you're right.

This will be a huge help. great stuff TY!@!!!

mo65

Hey Sal, I was wondering if the carbon fiber drags perform better than the teflon? Not that I need a big improvement...just curious if there is an improvement. I just bought a 720z that I'm going to fish...it will be replacing a much newer reel that has fallen apart in a short 4 years.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Quote from: mo65 on March 14, 2017, 08:30:04 PM
   Hey Sal, I was wondering if the carbon fiber drags perform better than the teflon? Not that I need a big improvement...just curious if there is an improvement. I just bought a 720z that I'm going to fish...it will be replacing a much newer reel that has fallen apart in a short 4 years.
Absolutely Mo, not really noticeable on this little guy, but definitely an upgrade from the teflon.
Keep  in mind this posting is over 6 years old, things change along the way. I now prefer a delrin for under the spool or the stock teflon.
This is just my personal preferance.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handyandy

The 722 I fish and went through I put the carbon fiber drags in. Was it really needed maybe not, but the drag is as smooth now as any reel. Definitely a plus to me since I put 6lb line on it and like knowing I have good smooth drag in case I ever hook into something with it that will really peel the line out. It doesn't happen often since the reel is mostly used for bass fishing, but occasionally bass fishing I'll get a decent catfish, drum, or big gar that gives my light tackle setup a work out when I'm not expecting it.

mo65

Hi Andy. Your fishing sounds much like mine...every once in a while a big drum or striper will take a wild run...and its nice to know my little bass reel will handle the situation. I've never used a Penn spinner yet, only have a few "plinth princesses" in my collection. This little 720z will probably have me seeking out more Penn spinners. 8)

natch!

The first reel I bought for myself was a black & gold 722z. I still use it a lot. The one thing I wish it had is a Manual bail. Any one have any ideas?
  I was thinking maybe an extended bail release arm could be fashioned.

Jack

handyandy

On the manual bail Idk it's never really bothered me not having one. The little penn spinners are great I like my 722, 714, and 430 a lot. The 714 and 430 I think are a little better using a worm gear vs a ring and pinion type like the 722/720. With the said the dam quick little spinners like 110's and 220's I think have much more robust anti reverse drag. If the dams had metal spools like the penns that would be the best. Mo I'm a fan fishing various rivers around me for smallmouth and fishing the ohio river below the locks that what I love about the rivers sometimes your in for a surprise as to what may bite. This past weekend while sauger jigging below mcalpine lock and dam with a penn 430 on old shakespeare presidential 6'6" rod I had a wiper that was almost 19" bite landed him but he gave my setup with 6lb test a little work out. Had the water been warmer and the wipers more active I'm sure he would have given me a better run. Once he hit I knew it was more than a little sauger didn't know if it was drum, cat, or wiper at first.

mo65

Quote from: handyandy on March 23, 2017, 01:49:11 PM
The 714 and 430 I think are a little better using a worm gear vs a ring and pinion type like the 722/720.

I bought the 720 for trout/crappie fishing...but I have been eyeballing that 430ss for bass/hybrid fishing...I foresee one in my future. 8)

handi2

I used these reels up to the year 2001 for trout and Redfish. They are now safely put away.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handyandy

Quote from: handi2 on September 02, 2017, 11:15:06 PM
I used these reels up to the year 2001 for trout and Redfish. They are now safely put away.

why put them away? they want to be fished

Brandon G

Hello!
Opening this thread back up.

Does anybody have a 43-720-A Block in aluminum by chance? I just like the idea of metal instead of acrylic.
If there is any stock out there, please let me know!

Thanks!
Tight Lines :)

Bryan Young

Don't know about aluminum, but Cortez Conversions sells replacement blocks that he made.

https://www.cortezconversions.com/product-page/penn-crosswind-block-spinfisher-reels
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Midway Tommy

There's a dude called Flytrooper over @ Stripersonline that sold a bunch to Mystic Parts. I'm sure he would know where to find them if they're still available, and you join & PM him. Just remember, though, that most reels of that era were designed with at least one weaker point to keep the rest of the reel from blowing up. One of Ted's blocks will most likely last another 50 years if you maintain, and don't overuse, the reel.   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

fishhead69

Does anybody have a break down and pictures of the parts that go inside the white drag knob? I believe there is a spring, a nut that threads onto the shaft to tighten and loosen the drag and a round piece with a shoulder on it, so 3 pieces all together or is there more parts inside the white drag knob?

foakes

No, that is all there is FH —

From the inside out — Brass nut first, spring next, lastly the brass collar.

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.