Had a minor dinky deal.

Started by Nasty Wendy, June 01, 2017, 11:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nasty Wendy

Fixed it. All is well.
Hi I'm Clay.
Lets raise our children to be Super Fishermen not Superficial men and women.

The more I interact with people the more I like my dog.

sdlehr

If you were using a Penn tool screwdriver, my first suggestion is to use a proper-fitting screwdriver of sufficient quality to loosen the screws. This may be all you need. It's real important that the screwdriver you choose fit the length and width of the slot properly, and if possible use a hollow-ground tip. "Remember, it is much easier to find the proper screwdriver than it is to find replacement screws. Firm, deliberate movements of the screwdriver while firmly bracing the reel should get you where you need to go - I mean, someone was just in there, they can't be seized up yet.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

enfish

I agree with Sid. I used to use the Penn tool screwdriver to remove screws when I was too lazy to get up and find a real screwdriver. But every Penn tool I own has a twisted screwdriver blade that was twisted by a screw that came out with almost zero effort using a real screwdriver. The Penn tools are way too soft to put the proper torque on a screw, IMO.

Good luck! Though I bet you'll get them out without any problems. I doubt Cal's guys used an impact driver to install the screws. ;-)

Bryan Young

Try putting your reel in the freezer for an hour the take it out and try to remove the screwing 15 minutes allowing the frame to warm up a bit.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

foakes

Having 2 great and capable reels that are now 2-Speeded by Cal Sheets -- that you spent good money for -- I would recommend an investment in proper screwdrivers.

They should be Hollow Ground or Parallel Ground -- not hardware store quality.

And they need a good grip.

Those screws will come right out easily -- with a proper screwdriver that you don't need to spend a fortune on -- $40 - $60 for a set of Grace, Chapman, or Brownell's.

I'll wager those screws were torqued perfectly -- and just need a proper screwdriver.

I think any of us would be more upset if the screws were too loose.

Those Penn soft screwdrivers are a little better than than nothing -- I would never use them on a reel.

Just my opinions --

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

JRD

Quote from: Nasty Wendy on June 01, 2017, 11:36:32 PM

I have not checked the 80 yet but I had to service the 50T and figured I'd do that after I got it back.  Actually I replaced a couple bearing in that 50T and saw that it could use a good servicing and planned on doing it once I got it back

Better screwdriver.  A decent hollow ground gun set can be had at your local big box store for $30.  The freezer trick is a great suggestion also.  A little confused why they need servicing after returning from Cals and not being fished tho.

Shark Hunter

I would be pissed too.
There is no reason for them to be that tight.
I like my screws tight, but when lubed properly, they should come right out with simple hand tools.
I mean quality hand tools, like Fred suggested.
Not just a cheap screw driver.
I'm not a fan of Internationals.
Even with the penn custom shop coming to a close. I'm going to have to pass as much as I want a 130 VSX. That is a $1500 reel.
For the price, I'll stick with conventional Senators and my Everol two speeds.
The Everol's have custom Hex heads that are quite long.
I only rebuild them myself and they will come right out, even torqued with a driver. JMO
Life is Good!

Nasty Wendy

OK so I'm a cooler head now. I'll edit this post as to not leave a negative mark on Cal's good name. As far as the suggestions to use a better screwdriver goes I'll say that is double edged. I have more tools than your average bear and in the end it took a screwdriver with a 2 foot plus shaft to transfer enough torque to back out the screws.  The problem is you shouldn't have to do this EVER. Keep in mind that improperly sized driver heads are what ruins screw heads and the Penn tool didn't ruin the screw head. It was seated perfectly which is why the overtightened screw twisted the tool instead of the tool shearing the screw head.  The reason I use the Penn, Shimano, and FinNor tools is so that I don't over torque anything.  

Side note:  I am a bit of a mental mess at the moment. On Easter Sunday my 17 year old daughter was involved in an accident and is still in the hospital under doctors care. My wife and I have been taking shifts to never leave her side. She is a miracle in progress. There is no logical explanation as to how she survived the ordeal. We were recently given a prognosis of 1 year to Full Recovery!!! She was airlifted to our best trauma hospital with internal bleeding, liver laceration (not the source of the blessing), broken neck, multiple breaks in her pelvis, burns scattered all over her body (3rd degree on hip and leg requiring skin graft), hip and shoulder dislocations, and cuts and sprains. I jump online to give my brain a time out as I lay in a bed next to her at times. I was working on these reels while my wife was 'on shift' to take my mind off of the stresses of fealng powerless to fix her.  So I allowed myself to get riled and over react. My apologies to any I may have offended and especially to Cal Sheets but do take some of that gorilla strength out of the screw ins. :)
Hi I'm Clay.

conchydong

Prayers for your daughter. I know it must be tough but hang in there.
Scott

Bryan Young

OMG. Prayers for a speedy recovery for your daughter.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Zimbass

Prayers for your daughter, your wife and you. Hope the recovery is full, in a short time.

Terry.
Never was so much owed by so many to so few.

sdlehr

Wow, Clay, I'm so sorry your family is having to go through this. There is no worse, more helpless feeling in the world than what you feel watching your child in pain. I know the docs will do everything they can. There will one day be an end to this.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Nasty Wendy

Thanks guys. She got into a wheel chair and out of bed for the first time two days ago. Yesterday she had me wheel her to the bathroom where she celebrated brushing her own teeth "AT THE FACEBOWL!!" as she put it. She also sat in her chair and ate in a seated position for the first time since Easter dinner with a big smile. Strangely she is pulling me through my pain.
Hi I'm Clay.

Nasty Wendy

I'm thinking of putting a torx or allen head screw set together for my Internationals. Just have to see if a raised head would cause any issues.
Hi I'm Clay.

swill88

My thoughts and prayers to your daughter and your family Clay.

You are completely forgiven for any angry or cross thoughts posted.

Take good care.

Steve