How Much Did That Lure Cost

Started by Rivverrat, June 04, 2017, 05:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Be worth $400 if say, I's able to get about 40-10 lb'ers before I lost it. Mabey realistically, 20-5+lb'ers. My own theory in a-lota fishin situations is, if I don't lose a lure occasionally, I'm probably not gonna get bit as often as I should. The places that guy casts to(or so he says) either he can retrieve his snags, or he's gettin a windfall outta the sale a these lures.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Cor

Quote from: sdlehr on June 05, 2017, 06:53:50 PM
When you first said PVC, I was thinking PVC pipe, which didn't seem right. Where do you get your PVC blanks? Is this their intended use?

Thanks.
Sid
I use the word PVC in a very generic sense and "plastic" would have been more correct as I would use any similar looking plastic material.    They differ slightly in weight and some types are more difficult to machine.  

I buy it or sometimes just pick it up from places that make things or suppliers that cut it to size for use in advertising signage.   It is also used extensively on boats and boat trailers as protection against damage to boat when loading or unloading.   It also get used on boat gunwales.
I usually buy pieces of 2cm thick sheets and cut it to size on a circular saw and plane the rest.

PVC pipe will work as well, I've done it but was more difficult to make and it broke easily.

Cornelis

Shark Hunter

I have this 29" Rapala hanging in my Garage.
It was a $100 lure. It is fully functioning.
My Son always tells me to bring it and tow it behind the kayak. Not!
Life is Good!

steelfish

When you first said PVC, I was thinking PVC pipe, which didn't seem right.

Thanks.
Sid

me too
The Baja Guy

Dominick

Hey Daron that lure could be used to make bait for your kind of fishing.  ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

ez2cdave

Quote from: Cor on June 05, 2017, 12:50:49 AM
My lures are made from off cut PVC, some used stainless wire and lead I've had for 20 years.    Without hooks and rings they don't cost more then US 40c each and they catch plenty.    The PVC and the wire comes mostly for free, the latter I get from used electric fencing.  ;D ;D
OH, I forgot, some get a bit of spray paint from an aerosol can!

Cor,

Could you please post some photo's of your PVC lures ?

Maybe do a tutorial, too .

Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

When you first said PVC, I was thinking PVC pipe, which didn't seem right. Where do you get your PVC blanks? Is this their intended use?

Thanks.
Sid

Sid,

I thought the same thing, too.

Tight Lines !

ez2cdave

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 07, 2017, 05:54:21 AM
I have this 29" Rapala hanging in my Garage.
It was a $100 lure. It is fully functioning.
My Son always tells me to bring it and tow it behind the kayak. Not!

You're gonna need a BIGGER Kayak . . . LOL ! ! !

Tight Lines !

Shark Hunter

Quote from: ez2cdave on June 08, 2017, 03:17:24 PM
My lures are made from off cut PVC, some used stainless wire and lead I've had for 20 years.    Without hooks and rings they don't cost more then US 40c each and they catch plenty.    The PVC and the wire comes mostly for free, the latter I get from used electric fencing.  ;D ;D

Cor,

Tight Lines !
They are on page 1.
Life is Good!

Cor

Quote from: ez2cdave on June 08, 2017, 03:17:24 PM
My lures are made from off cut PVC, some used stainless wire and lead I've had for 20 years.    Without hooks and rings they don't cost more then US 40c each and they catch plenty.    The PVC and the wire comes mostly for free, the latter I get from used electric fencing.  ;D ;D

Cor,

Tight Lines !

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21814.msg237588#msg237588
Cornelis

ez2cdave

Where do you get that solid, square PVC bar from ?

Tight Lines !

Cor

Cornelis

ez2cdave

Quote from: Cor on June 10, 2017, 06:29:25 PMhttp://alantani.com/index.php?topic=21814.msg237653#msg237653

I just noticed that he's in Cape Town, South Africa . . .

Anyone know of any USA sources for the type of plastic he's using ?

Tight Lines !

bhale1

Dave,
I'm not sure if it's the same stuff or not,(sure looks like it tho), but I believe it is HDPE  plastic.
Had to use it to make a custom cutting board once. Comes in different thickness's...I'm no good at adding links, but it was something like www.professionalplastics.com
Might be of help ???
Brett

Edit....gets a little pricey when you get the 1-1/2" - 2" thickness's

Rivverrat

Out of all the forums Ive spent time at I have to say I love watching how the threads progress here more than any others Ive been to. For me, among many other things it's a big part of why I enjoy coming here....Jeff