How Much Did That Lure Cost

Started by Rivverrat, June 04, 2017, 05:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

Quote from: bhale1 on June 11, 2017, 01:26:31 AM
Dave,
I'm not sure if it's the same stuff or not,(sure looks like it tho), but I believe it is HDPE  plastic.
Had to use it to make a custom cutting board once. Comes in different thickness's...I'm no good at adding links, but it was something like www.professionalplastics.com
Might be of help ???
Brett

Edit....gets a little pricey when you get the 1-1/2" - 2" thickness's

Thanks for the link . . . I'll check them out !

Tight Lines !

Cor

This is a local place where I have obtained some of the plastic and looking at their website I guess this is what it is;   quote
"Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene or ABS is one of the most widely used plastics."

http://www.maizey.co.za/product/abs/

The stuff is not expensive, I once bought some but can't really remember how much it was, maybe $9-00 for about 80 X 40 X 2 cm off cut piece.

2cm is the thickest you would normally want to use and cutting a baton 2 X 2 X 2 cm is a good starting point.

You need to have some idea of what you wish to achieve with the lure to decide the dimensions and weight.   How rough is the water expected to be?  How fast do you wish to wind the lure? You want it to skip around a lot on the surface?    Do you want it to track in a straight line?

Again for a starting point, the ones in the photo above weigh between 2 oz and 3.5 oz and are roughly 1.6  X 1.6 cm and 13 cm long.

Cornelis

oc1

For what it's worth... high density polyethylene (HDPE) and high molecular weight polyethylene (HMWPE) have a specific gravity of about 0.93.  It's slightly buoyant but the weight of the hooks and wire might be enough to sink it.  ABS is slightly denser with specific gravity about 1.02 making it about neutrally buoyant in seawater.  PVC is much denser with a specific gravity of 1.4 so it will sink quickly.  Of course, they can all be made to either float or sink by adding either air pockets or lead.
-steve

ez2cdave

Quote from: Cor on June 11, 2017, 06:57:17 AM
This is a local place where I have obtained some of the plastic and looking at their website I guess this is what it is;   quote
"Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene or ABS is one of the most widely used plastics."

http://www.maizey.co.za/product/abs/

The stuff is not expensive, I once bought some but can't really remember how much it was, maybe $9-00 for about 80 X 40 X 2 cm off cut piece.

2cm is the thickest you would normally want to use and cutting a baton 2 X 2 X 2 cm is a good starting point.

You need to have some idea of what you wish to achieve with the lure to decide the dimensions and weight.   How rough is the water expected to be?  How fast do you wish to wind the lure? You want it to skip around a lot on the surface?    Do you want it to track in a straight line?

Again for a starting point, the ones in the photo above weigh between 2 oz and 3.5 oz and are roughly 1.6  X 1.6 cm and 13 cm long.

Cor,

Thanks for the information !

Tight Lines !

Jenx

I'm too cheap too even spend the $20 on a lucky craft lure. Having one of those  $400 lures snap off while casting would ruin an entire fishing trip.

I took a .70 cent Chinese jerk bait fishing in the bay earlier this year and it consistently got bit for an hour before it filled with water and stopped working. I bet if I gave that lure an epoxy coating before taking it out it would have held its own with many of the pricier lures on the market.

Bill B

RE: the $400 lure.......

Hooks catch fish
Lures catch fishermen
;) ;)  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

David Hall

Quote from: TARFU on June 17, 2017, 07:43:06 PM
RE: the $400 lure.......

Hooks catch fish
Lures catch fishermen
;) ;)  Bill

And it would appear this particular lure has reeled in quite a few!