Cheap line stripper

Started by FatTuna, June 04, 2017, 08:49:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

I wanted to share a very simple invention I came up with. It's cheap, easy to make, and will save you a headache if you spool a lot of reels like me. I use this device to either store used line, transfer line from one reel to another, add more backing, or strip/repack a reel.

Here is what you will need:

One stainless steel carriage bolt.
Two stainless nuts
Some old 5lb plastic spools
One nut driver bit
One package of JB weld (I went with the original vs kiwk weld just to be safe)
A drill

I recommend to purchase the plastic spools first so you know how long/thick the bolt needs to be. It works best to use the smallest bolt you can get away with. Once you have the bolt, pair it up with a matching set of nuts and nut driver bit. When you get home, mix up some JB weld and liberally apply some to the inside of the bit. Insert one of the nuts, wipe away any excess, and let it set up. That's it. Now you can easily attach spools to the end of your drill.

Keta

Quote from: FatTuna on June 04, 2017, 08:49:56 PM
I recommend to purchase the plastic spools first so you know how long/thick the bolt needs to be.  

Do you have a good source for plastic spools.... ;D
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

FatTuna

There is a generous forum member here that has access to spools; however, I felt I might be throwing him under the bus if people started bombarding him with email requests.........

Keta

I still have a few if anyone needs them.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tiddlerbasher

Previously enjoyed mig welding spools could be used - or industrial wire spools (which I currently use)

Keta

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on June 04, 2017, 11:16:19 PM
Previously enjoyed mig welding spools could be used - or industrial wire spools (which I currently use)

I get bulk line spools when I visit with Jerry Brown, I still have several.

Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

Here is what I use for line removal and spooling mono. Of course it is not strong enough to spool braid onto a reel but as you can see here it takes braid off the reel fine.

handi2

Google "Line Off". Buy 2 get one free. They are for throw away line only.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

broadway

Neat idea, FT! Can you show us some complete photos of the spool with the accessories and the removal set up with drill and all.  If it's too much trouble I understand.
Is this strong enough to spool braid or wire on? I'm always looking for a way to simplify the removal and adding of line without buying a trilene winder.  I have a super spooler for adding line at the moment, and while it does a good job I need to add weight to the base, run my line through a thick book (adding tension), put it through the felt holder, etc.  It does a nice job but it's a process. When jack gets a bit older he can hold on while I crank. ;)
Thanks,
Dom

FatTuna

Quote from: broadway on June 05, 2017, 05:11:08 PM
Neat idea, FT! Can you show us some complete photos of the spool with the accessories and the removal set up with drill and all.  If it's too much trouble I understand.
Is this strong enough to spool braid or wire on? I'm always looking for a way to simplify the removal and adding of line without buying a trilene winder.  I have a super spooler for adding line at the moment, and while it does a good job I need to add weight to the base, run my line through a thick book (adding tension), put it through the felt holder, etc.  It does a nice job but it's a process. When jack gets a bit older he can hold on while I crank. ;)
Thanks,
Dom

Sure man, I'll post up some pics tomorrow. I need to recharge my phone to take pictures with the flash.

You can definitely do braid. I do it all the time. I've done everything from 20lb up to 200lb. With the smaller braid, I use smaller spools. The trick is that you want to spool the braid with a bit of tension like if you were doing a reel. It doesn't need to be super tight but it can't be loose. Otherwise the plastic spool can end up with braid bite. I had that happen the first time I tried to put the line back on.

I started off with an old Dewalt NiCad drill but it works much better with a 20 volt lithium ion.

I haven't tried it with wire but I'm sure it would work. I would probably just add a little dacron backing first.

gstours

Thanks for the good info.  A welding shop in your local usually will have empty spools in theyr trash.  they are commonly 4-8-12 inch and good heavy plastic.   Free is a good price.   Sometimes you can make an arbor yourself.  then you can power drill strip. ;)