New AVET Grease "AQUA SHIELD"

Started by Wolli, June 04, 2017, 11:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

The red INOX grease I have seen on reels 1-2years after servicing was still exactly where it was put.  Really sticky stuff, with no signs of emulsification.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

Quote from: Tightlines666 on June 06, 2017, 08:45:25 PM
The red INOX grease I have seen on reels 1-2years after servicing was still exactly where it was put.  Really sticky stuff, with no signs of emulsification.

That's what I use on all Senator reels. There is a supplier in Florida where I get a discount. Inox MX8.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

farnorthlbg

I used to use Inox mx8 for years and when Id get clients Tiagra's come back for an annual service the grease on the gear-set and throughout the pinion bearing were nearly always a lite pink almost white colour indicating water emulsification.

Hmmm interesting

Tightlines667

Quote from: farnorthlbg on June 07, 2017, 05:01:50 AM
I used to use Inox mx8 for years and when Id get clients Tiagra's come back for an annual service the grease on the gear-set and throughout the pinion bearing were nearly always a lite pink almost white colour indicating water emulsification.

Hmmm interesting

Hmm... mine were Tiagras off of charter boats too.  It was kinda a pain to clean off.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

handi2

I did get a container of this grease. Its up on a shelf somewhere. It is so thick ands tacky I wont even touch it.

I dipped a screwdriver in it and it took a while to get the grease off!! Its much thicker than peanut butter.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

The problem with some greases is the time, effort, and expense of cleaning agents needed for a reservice down the road.  Plus, if too tacky, or self-hardening it will not work for me.

Over the years, before I met Alan -- I used various types of greases -- always looking for the "silver bullet" or "holy grail" of greases.

Alan said he had good success with Marine Grade Yamalube -- been using it for nearly 4 years now -- no need to change.

Clients love it, I like it, it is about $9 for 14 oz., it stays where you apply it -- until such time as you service it again -- and just washes out easily with lacquer thinner.

I have a whole crate full of greases that I am figuring a way to dispose of.

Any grease you use will be good -- except for that tacky, sticky lithium white crud.

For me, it just boils down to performance, easy wash-out, and affordable in bulk.

If you only do 3 or 4 reels a year -- no big deal -- if you do 3 or 4 a day, it is important to use a grease you are comfortable with.

Jusy my opinions...

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oc1

That was a waste of money.  I tried the Aqua Shield.  It did not stay put on the gears and soon crept into the spool bushing.
-steve