Video review of new PENN Torque II spinning reel

Started by Tunanorth, June 05, 2017, 04:59:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tunanorth

Yes, I know its a spinning reel, but some of you old salts might even be converted by this one!

foakes

Thanks, Steve --

Good, even -- initial assessment.

For those of you that may not be familiar with the Penn Torques -- these are well engineered and carefully thought out reels made in Philadelphia, USA.

At about half the price of a Stella, with solid machined aluminum frames and parts, CF drag systems that you cannot hold -- and now a little nicer finish -- and my favorite of all -- raw polished aluminum with no anodized color to show the eventual nicks and scratches from a workhorse reel -- plus many other clever and simple features -- make this series of reels a best value in both performance and $$$ -- IMO.

If you have ever had these apart on your bench -- the respect and admiration for the design and functions will become readily apparent.

When Tony and Tom showed my wife and I through the Penn plant in Philadelphia last year -- the lines of reels that were being produced were the Internationals, Torques, and some of the large Senators.

Tony said that it was not possible to keep up with the demand for the Torques from the field -- even with increased manufacturing capacity.

This new one is possibly slightly better -- mostly just a slight improvement on the earlier versions in a few areas.

The Penn committment to quality, value, and parts availability -- are a breath of fresh air in our tackle industry.

Take it out of the box, do a pre-fish basic service to include extra grease at the seals -- and a little light coating of Cal's drag grease -- and this reel will perform perfectly.

If Penn came out with a Microlite version of the Torque -- at a likely price point of $250 - $300 -- I would not expect retailers to be able to keep them in stock.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Penn Torques are excellent fishing reels. I'm not sure those needed anything, but it shows how committed Penn is about bringing out the very best. These reels remind me of the SS serie, only more refined and beefed up.
I did laugh a little, when that gentleman on the videa showed us how to service it just by removing the side plate. Not really a hard reel to work on, but it need a little more work than that.
Great work Penn!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Rivverrat

A Torque Spinner will be my next reel purchase. I think it will complement my Baja / US113 reels very well. There is "NOTHING" in these spinning reels that is going to break or wear out on a regurlar basis. Not even if one pushes them within their specs.

John T. reccomeneded this reel to me some time ago. In my mind at the time I scoffed at the suggestion. Now I can see a deffinate use for one. Ive never really been a fan of any paticular brand. However over the last year or so I've been able to get my hands on more Penn models. Through this process I've noticed something, Penn just seems to get it right when it comes to their newer designed American made stuff.

This shows in what some might think are small things. Such as the 3 positions lever on their Torque lever drags. Something that deals with my biggest complaint against the Okuma Andros of which I have 4. I have come to admire Penn reels as benchmarks in a given perspective class of reels....Jeff