My 2017 Cobia Season So far.....

Started by Whino83, June 05, 2017, 07:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whino83

Here are the 3 cobia I've pier fished and gotten so far this summer. All caught on a pair of Penn Squidders. Both have Newell bars and Newell spools....very clean reels, sitting on a pair of custom stump heavers I hade custom made in the late 90's. The biggest was 55 1/2 lbs and 55 1/2" long. And yes I have a lucky shirt and hat I always wear, haha. The smallest of the 3 was released and of I'm lucky enough to catch anymore they will be released as well barring its not a state record or something, lol.

ChileRelleno

Very nice lings!
Way to go on putting a hurting on them.

How are you landing them on the pier without gaffing them?
Is it low enough to make tail roping practical?

Which pier is that, don't think I've seen those railings in pics before?
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

handi2

That's a challenge from the pier on a Squidder. What reels are most others using? Spinning reels?

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Donnyboat

Nice fish, well done, glad your into releasing them as well, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Shark Hunter

Nice Cobia!
John, I think he is bringing them up by net. You can see it behind him in that second shot.
Life is Good!

steelfish

awesome fishes from a pier

the best fish on the local would be a 2# spotted bay bass or with luck a 4# triggerfish

The Baja Guy

Bill B

Impressive  :o......incredible fish especially when you consider they were caught on a pier.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Benni3

Good job,,,now that looks like fun  :D

Whino83

We bring them up on big homemade hoop/drop nets. Virginia outlawed gaffing cobia last year. When I fish NC we can still gaff down there.  As for what pier that it is if I were to say publicly I'd probably have someone drop the net on my next fish I get to the pier so I better pass, haha (if you're that curious pm me and I can point you in the right direction). As for gear most guys use conventional reels as we bottom fish (mostly) and or pin rig. Most guys have newer stuff. Lots of shimano Tld's and Avets.  But you still see lots of old classics from the older fellas like Penn's,  ambassaduers, Newell's, etc Some people use spinning gear but not many. Most reserve spinning gear for baitfishing and tossing bucktails at cobia cruising the surface. I'll attach a pic of my rods and reels (minus my matching 10' heaver that also carries a decked out squidder) sitting beside my dad's custom lami's with a pair of penn 980's.

Steve-O

Supa deluxe Cobias!!

Way to go, dude. Fish taco heaven.

coastal_dan

Nice!  Hoping to go after some Cobia in OBX this fall.  Thanks for sharing!
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

Newell Nut

Very nice catch and the best part of cobia fishing is when you scoop it out of the frying pan. ;D ;D

Whino83

Ans two more....21 lber and a baby....

Benni3

Three se7ens

Nice job! 

We got screwed on cobia season this year.  Apparently the ACL was exceeded last year, so they only opened the season for 2 weeks in January.   The cobia dont start arriving until April though...