Peito, Falda, Point de poitrine or Brisket

Started by ChileRelleno, June 06, 2017, 04:05:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

Peito, Falda, Point de poitrine, Brisket or whatever you call it, if done right it makes everyone speak the same language...  Mmmmmmm!

I've a nice 9.75lb Brisket Flat trimmed, rubbed and sitting in the fridge awaiting the smoker.
I was planning on starting it at midnight for a 'Low-n-Slow', but now I'm gonna do a 'Hot-n-Fast' starting about 0600.

Get in, hang on and enjoy the ride.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

ChileRelleno

It's a quarter till 0700, do you know where your Brisket is?

Mine came out of the fridge at 0430, got another dusting and brought up to room temp.
The smoker is cooking along at approx 275'-300', and I'll be adjusting closer to 300'.

Lets get it on... grilling_smilie.gif

Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

ChileRelleno

So anyways...  I third guessed myself and decided to split the difference, experiment for my own experience.

I've been smoking at 250'-275' all morning since 0600.
Here I am 5 hours in and hit the stall at 170' IT.
I removed it from the smoke, wrapped in foil with 1C of beef consomme and put it in a disposable pan.
Returned it to the smoker and am continuing with 250'-275'.
Once I get through the stall to an IT of 190'+/-, I'll unwrap and finish till butter tender with a probe.

Ragnar Benson:

ChileRelleno

Au Jus Fixins

The Flat
Overall it came out  fairly well, the majority sliced up real nice, but the skinny end was falling apart.
All those scraps got mixed with plenty of au jus and then combined in a bowl of my garlic mashed taters for lunch tomorrow.
The slices were freaking great, juicy goodness, slices folded over like like pasta and came apart with a light tug.
The bark was a wonderfully peppery chewiness, with a nice saltiness.

I've done worse, done better too, but I have yet to hear any complaints from the family.

Money Shot

Ragnar Benson:

bhale1

Chile,
Another outstanding job! You really have your smoker dialed in. The consistency of the bark is impressive.
Looks yummy!!!
My $20 yard sale Charbroil H2O smoker may get another shot this weekend. The only problem is how time consuming these little cheap smokers are. Have to tend them quite often,and add more coals to keep heat up! Might be time to upgrade....
Brett