Big Boy Gear Sleeves

Started by Cortez_Conversions, February 25, 2015, 03:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claytong

Are there any of the 14/0 sleeves left? I noticed it was taken off of ebay.

Cortez_Conversions

Yes, I do have them in stock.
I just haven't had time to relist them.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Cortez_Conversions

Just got a new lot of these gear sleeves done for the 10/0 thru the 16/0's. They are up on the website.
thanks,
Tom
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Shark Hunter

Got Sleeves?
Life is Good!

broadway

Hey D,
   What will you do with the rest of your reels cause there aren't enough sleeves to match your reels? ;)
You don't play around, I like that!
Dom

Shark Hunter

Received a sample of Tom's 14/0,16/0 dogs today.
Wow!
SS dog on top. Tom's hardened steel on the bottom.
Life is Good!

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Cortez_Conversions

Hello All,

The big boy gear sleeves for the 10/0 thru 16/0 Penn reels are slowly making their way thru thru the shop, and I mean slowly. I know the 114/115 sleeves are out of stock as well now.
In the mean time, the seller n-joro on Ebay is dumping his stock of my gear sleeves. The unbranded 416 Stainless Steel sleeves are indeed Cortez Conversions products.

The 304 Stainless Steel sleeves he's selling under his seller name fish-winch account are not made by Cortez Conversions. I've been getting a few inquiries about this and want you all to know what's what.

Thanks,
Tom

Cortez_Conversions

Our 98-116/116A and 98-117 SS Main Gear Sleeves are finally back in stock! These two sleeves fit the four largest Penn Senators out there, the 10/0,12/0,14/0, and the 16/0!
We added an extra tooth to the 98-116/116A SSand two teeth to the 98-117 SS to reduce the amount of back play in the handle.
All of our custom gear sleeves are made using heat treated 416 Stainless Steel. The extra time and energy spent using this material far out weighs the marginal corrosion issues those who don't maintain their reels may experience. In order for a material to be heat treatable, it must have a bit of iron in it. Once heat treated, these parts undergo a process called passivization. This process removes any free iron on the surface of the parts, preventing surface corrosion. I want these sleeves to be the last ones you will ever need to buy, Period.

Properly maintained, these sleeves will out live you!

There are cheaper materials out there, like 304 Stainless Steel, but there is are two reasons none of the major reel manufacturers use it for gear sleeves. It is very prone to galling and seizing.
What this means to your reels is the possibility of the threads galling on your drag star and/or the sleeve seizing to the bridge shaft.
What this means to you is the possibility of losing that fish of a lifetime because a manufacturer chose to use the cheapest material possible.

We are a small, part time business trying to put the best quality parts in your reels. I know it get frustrating seeing "out of stock" on our website, but please have the piece of mind it's because quality takes time.

https://www.cortezconversions.com/ss-gear-sleeves

thorhammer

The best is the best, if we wait we wait. This ain't Walmart in the age of instant gratification. Your clientele, I think, understands this for the most part- I'm struggling to find time to get a couple rods a year done on the side for friends, much less running a fab business like you, Adam, and others. It has to be a labor of love. Thanks to you and all our fabricators, technicians and engineers on the site who not only provide the service but from what I have seen are very interactive with the fishing community to bring the best upgrades anywhere to us.

Shark Hunter

We appreciate all you do Tom. I know if it comes out of your shop, Perfection is the only option. ;)
Life is Good!