Penn 9/0 Side Plates

Started by Cortez_Conversions, June 06, 2017, 01:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadway

Tom,  These are exciting for sure!  I think any time you bring... ice blue, silver, and black to the party it seems to satisfy many.  Green and red are welcomed bonus'.
Sal,  I'm digging the homage to the old school Penn handles with the "striping", shape, and counter balance.  Try a Rosewood like their old "door knob", "log", and "coffee grinders."
I will say you spoiled me with that first one in the back because that is seriously the cats PJ's!
Keep up the innovative work, pals,
Dom

Swami805

That's beautiful Sal, if that's trying your hand can't wait to see what you come up with when you feel like your're good at it. I'd say you have it down pat. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Alto Mare

Thanks Dom and Sheridan, I'm glad you like it.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

xjchad

Beautiful Sal!  I love the wood handle look you've done with both of those reels!
I have a question, where do you get the post for your knobs?  Do you make those too?
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Maxed Out

Wow Sal, looks great.... Love the blue 9/0

....I'd love to see you do the same knob with one of Lou's blanks
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Alto Mare

Quote from: xjchad on June 11, 2018, 04:17:53 PM
Beautiful Sal!  I love the wood handle look you've done with both of those reels!
I have a question, where do you get the post for your knobs?  Do you make those too?
No Chad, these I had laying around.
I'm trying to get someone to make me some, if that doesn't happen I will make my own.
Quote from: Maxed Out on June 11, 2018, 05:44:55 PM
Wow Sal, looks great.... Love the blue 9/0

....I'd love to see you do the same knob with one of Lou's blanks
Thanks Ted!
We must be thinking the same way, eventually that is the plan.
I was going to try acrylic and stabilized wood, the blank is crazy expensive but the look is out of this world...we'll see.
I cut many shapes, to me the original Penn knobs are the best looking out of the bunch.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Swami805

We run a couple tons of wood thru a chipper almost daily. I run across small piece of burl and interesting small piece of wood all the time. I have a big chunk of walnut burl I've been hanging onto for years. If you could use some let me know. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Alto Mare

Quote from: Swami805 on June 11, 2018, 08:55:40 PM
We run a couple tons of wood thru a chipper almost daily. I run across small piece of burl and interesting small piece of wood all the time. I have a big chunk of walnut burl I've been hanging onto for years. If you could use some let me know. Sheridan
I thank you Sheridan, but you being on the opposite side of the coast it would make it expensive to ship. :-\

Sal

mhc

You're on a roll with the timber grips Sal - love the classic design with a bit more grip to fill the hand, are you using the small metal lathe you bought a few years back?
No doubt you have already considered it, but I like Broadway Dom's suggestion of a coffee grinder grip in a close grained timber for one of your bigger spinners.

Mike 
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Alto Mare

Quote from: mhc on June 12, 2018, 10:37:23 AM
You're on a roll with the timber grips Sal - love the classic design with a bit more grip to fill the hand, are you using the small metal lathe you bought a few years back?
No doubt you have already considered it, but I like Broadway Dom's suggestion of a coffee grinder grip in a close grained timber for one of your bigger spinners.

Mike 
Thanks Mike! no I'm not using that mini lathe anymore, I got rid of it last year, it was just too small for my needs.
I'm using a nice wood turning lathe that could be converted to a metal lathe as well, by adding a few parts.
This is what I plan to do with mine.

Sal

p-deverett

Tom, do you have a timeframe for the plates?

Thanks Peter

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: p-deverett on November 30, 2018, 11:32:49 PM
Tom, do you have a timeframe for the plates?

Thanks Peter

Hello Peter!

I'm trying like mad to get them finished for Christmas!

Cheers!

Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

p-deverett

Thanks Tom sounds great.

Peter

Tiddlerbasher

Sal how did you fit the shaft into the wooden knob? Interference/push fit?

Alto Mare

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on December 01, 2018, 12:31:34 PM
Sal how did you fit the shaft into the wooden knob? Interference/push fit?
Chris check your PM, I don't want to keep posting about my handles on Tom's 9/0 thread.

Sal