Newbie going to Loreto in July.

Started by Marc Fong, June 06, 2017, 05:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jurelometer

Quote from: Dominick on June 23, 2017, 06:27:37 PM
Hooks in carry-on are a no no.  Dominick

Yep,  No hooks, definitely no line on reels in carrry-on returning from Mexico,  it used to be the same leaving the US, but not enforced as much now.     Depends on how lucky you feel.   

SoCalAngler

Flying to and back from LAX to Loreto I have never had trouble with line on reels in my carry on baggage. I have been doing this for 10 years now without a issue. I only take one carry on suitcase and a smaller day type back pack. The reels are in my pack for easy access if needed but not one time have I even asked about them.

Hooks on the other hand are a no go on carry on luggage. The first year I went to Loreto I brought a couple of trolling lures in my carry on. Boom I got flagged by TSA at LAX and had a agent go through my luggage. I was lucky that the guy fished and let my lures through even though I said I would check my bag. When leaving to go to the plane the agent said to me "if I were you I would not carry these in my carry on any more" I got the hint. I have flown with leadheads for plactics one time and had no problem at LAX but it was a no go at Loreto. Plastics and lead heads and even a small Plano box were left behind. Thinking about it now I should of left the leadheads and kept the plastics and box... oh well.

Swami805

When I'd go I use one of those albacore tackle back packs and secure it with a couple of giant zip ties used for securing water heaters to a wall and check it with my rod tube and duffel with clothes. I'd bring 6 extra zip ties because they going to cut them off if they want to inspect your bags. No hassles with TSA and a carry on and you can get pretty much everything you need in it. You have a hand for the rod tube, one for the duffel and all the heavy stuff on your back. Makes walking thru the airports pretty easy, being a tackle ho I bring a lot of crap.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

jurelometer

Quote from: SoCalAngler on June 24, 2017, 04:44:41 AM
Flying to and back from LAX to Loreto I have never had trouble with line on reels in my carry on baggage. I have been doing this for 10 years now without a issue. I only take one carry on suitcase and a smaller day type back pack. The reels are in my pack for easy access if needed but not one time have I even asked about them.

Hooks on the other hand are a no go on carry on luggage. The first year I went to Loreto I brought a couple of trolling lures in my carry on. Boom I got flagged by TSA at LAX and had a agent go through my luggage. I was lucky that the guy fished and let my lures through even though I said I would check my bag. When leaving to go to the plane the agent said to me "if I were you I would not carry these in my carry on any more" I got the hint. I have flown with leadheads for plactics one time and had no problem at LAX but it was a no go at Loreto. Plastics and lead heads and even a small Plano box were left behind. Thinking about it now I should of left the leadheads and kept the plastics and box... oh well.

Agree 100% on hooks.  I think there is a bit more to the story on reels.   Line on the reels is prohibited on flights from Mexico.  This doesn't mean that you won't get away with most (or nearly all) of the time, especially from specific airports.   If you do get caught, you will have to strip off all your line, or try to get the airline to box it up for you and check it as another piece of luggage.   If you argue with the Mexican TSA folks too much they won't let you take the reel on at all, even after you strip off the line.   If you do try to carry-on reels with line, I would suggest a carry-on bag that is also suitable for a last minute check-in, and go through security before check-in closes if possible.

A search of the web of line on reels from Mexico will yield two stories:  "I do it all the time, no problem",   "I used to do it  until I got denied":  Here is an example of the latter from BDOutdoors:

"I have never been able to carry reels back with line on them from Mexico. I used to push the issue at the gate in Cabo or PV every time and was allowed to carry them on about 60% of the time. I pushed the issue once to far and missed my flight."

A few personal experiences with fishing gear and flights:

1.  Had a couple four piece fly rods in carry-on going to Canada  (OK at that time for both USA and Canada).  Flight delay required a connection change in Vancouver.     The gate chnge required me to go through Security.   Canadian TSA agent decided my rods were not allowed as carry on.   Went to the airline counter-  too late to check in luggage.    They gave me a printout of the Canadian TSA guidelines allowing rods.   For some  reason, I sailed right through security on the second attempt without question.  Lucky break.

2.  On my latest trip to Mexico,  it looks like the LAX baggage handlers drove the cart over my duffel containing reels and rod tubes.   Ripped up the duffel and actually ground down the PVC on the tube.   But everything inside was well packed and undamaged.

3.   On a trip to the far end of the Solomon Islands,  all of our checked in luggage and gear got left behind by Qantas in Australia.  Still three flights and and long canoe ride from our destination.  Two weeks later:  on our way to another island we happened cross paths with all of it at a regional airport (a shack next to a dirt runway in the middle of nowhere).  Otherwise it probably would still be traveling the globe looking for us.  To be honest, I missed having a change of clothes more than my fishing gear :)

I check everything nowadays, except in the case of valuable reels.  I check in the spools and carry-on the frames.    No other fishing tackle.  The more out of the ordinary stuff you carry-on, the more likely there is going to be an issue.   Plus the TSA folks are trying to stop the bad guys, so carrying on less and less-unusual  stuff improves their effectiveness.

Pick your poison...

-Jurelometer

Marc Fong

OK, one more thing. The outside diameter of my DIY rod case is 4". Apparently, Southwest Airlines has a 3" limitation. Any advice on my ability to sweet talk my way through check-in?

alantani

I have a couple of 3 inch shipping tubes.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

steelfish

excellent information on how is fishing in Mexico on pangas and local fishing style, etc
this should be stickied for easy finding and just send links to this thread whenever someone ask something about how to fish in Baja.

I actually cannot add anything else, everything seems covered between Jurelometer and SoCal Angler

The Baja Guy

Dominick

I just returned last week from Cabo.  The Mexican version of TSA now have a plastic placard on the check in counter showing photos of what you may not bring on board the plane.  I was not allowed to carry on a fishing rod in a case.  They are getting very strict but they are allowing reels in the carry on bag.  I have gone back and forth over 40 times with no problems.  The no fishing rods in the cabin is new.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

SoCalAngler

Plenty of the usual suspects to be had. I only fished 2 days on this trip, that had more to do with the age of my pops not being able to go as much as he use to. I still had a great time. I took very few pics just because there was not much outstanding fishing wise.

Limit style fishing on the smaller 12-15 lb dorado by 9-9:30am with several releases. Here is a pic of one mornings catch. The fish are 10-12 miles north east of Punta Perico. You just need to find the right bunch of weeds. 30 lb line is fine for these guys and thats what we used with the 60 lb leader.
Well I guess photo bucket does not allow 3rd party hosting any more. I have had issues with the hosting on this web site so I guess no more pics from me

Still lots of 25-35 yt in the area also, we managed several and one boat that we know fished in the same area we did but stayed longer got 14 one day for 4 guys, plus the usual cabrrila and pargo in the mix. 40 lb here as its deeper structure thats holding the yt. Not too deep around 160 to 240 ft depending on which high spot your fishing.

Not a billfish spotted by any boats we have contact with and some guys ran to the Trench about 40-50 miles from us at Puerta Escondido. The water seemed a little colder this year. The high we saw was around 80.5 degrees where the dorado were but a little cool for the billfish I guess. Many times this time of year we see 82 plus degree water.

Not a issue for me again this year with bringing reels on my carry on, and yes I brought 2 reels this time one for 30 and one for 40 lb test.

Marc Fong

SoCal,

Thanks for the report. Did you fly Alaska? The count down has begun. I leave in three days.

Best,
Marc

SoCalAngler

Yep, Alaska. The airport is so small and has so few flights a day I'm sure the same TSA people just move to what ever airline is leaving, so unless someone is brand new the same rules as far as carry on goes should be the same. I have never seen two commercial planes on the ground at the same time at the Loerto airport.

Marc Fong

Loving it down here in Loreto. Caught my first Dorado yesterday. Small, 11 pounder. Missed a couple of strikes, but having a great time. Saw sail fish, turtles, whales and Manta Rays. Out again tomorrow and will concentrate on bottom fish, Yellowtail, Pargo, Cabrilla and whatever else will hit. The Mision Hotel (That's the way they spell it) cooked up my fish for dinner, six different ways. Muy fantastico!

Hot down here, but certainly tolerable. Great restaurants at great prices.

Big shout out to all who offered great advice. Had breakfast with Jurelometer and met his lovely wife and will try to get together with him before we depart. Alan's website is such a great resource with great camaraderie...a nice place to call my digital home.

A special thanks to Alan Tani for spending time with me and going over all of my equipment. His eye for detail reminds me of my race car mechanic. No detail goes unnoticed, if it can aid in performance. When I get back I'm going to have him go through some of my gear and posting a little more on the equipment and set-up used. Look forward to fishing with you guys.

Thanks,
Marc

SoCalAngler

Hit Orlando's for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It may be a bit hot for lunch sitting outside but good food and nice people. And, of course you got to get some tacos at El Ray Del Taco, they are not open every day but when they are it's a must stop for me. I'd also tell you to hit Sabor but it's closed for the summer.

Marc Fong

Going to Orlando's tonite and the ice cream shop next door. Went out for Dorado and rock fish today. Caught a bunch of rock fish and a Sailfish. Works for me.

Marc Fong

Apparently Orlando's is no longer open for dinner. Had a great dinner at La Palapa though. They cooked our sea bass three different ways. Dessert at the ice cream shop next to Orlando's.