Newbie going to Loreto in July.

Started by Marc Fong, June 06, 2017, 05:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc Fong

I did catch this guy. My first Sailfish, ever. I'm hooked.

Dominick

Marc congratulations.  A sailfish is on my "haven't caught one" list.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Marc Fong

Thanks Dominick. Got this delicious Dorado too. Sorry the picture is upside down. The fish still tasted pretty dang good though.

johndtuttle

Marc Fong

SoCalAngler

Way to go Marc. Loreto has been having some less than stellar fishing the last several years. Shark Norma?, who knows?. I'm sure the bite will get going again just like it has in the past.

I was thinking about going in October again this year but some medical stuff is going on with my dads girlfriend/ or as many call her my step mom so Oct is out for this year.

Instead a group of friends and family are heading out on a 2 day trip out of SD on the 8th. If you would like to come I'd like to see you on the boat.

Marc Fong

Thanks SoCal. Already planning a return to Loreto, but interested in SD opportunities. Please let me know about the two day you have in mind.

Marc

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Marc Fong on August 04, 2017, 02:16:13 PM
Thanks SoCal. Already planning a return to Loreto, but interested in SD opportunities. Please let me know about the two day you have in mind.

Marc

Wow, just checked the boats website and 6 spots were filled today making it a max load. Sorry I know my group has 8-9 spots on the boat so we should have a blast. Maybe next trip we can share the rail.

Edit: I had it posted here but no biters.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22313.0

Marc Fong

Thanks again for everyone's help. Thought I'd summarize a few of the "lessons learned" from my trip, before I forget. (Caveat: Your mileage may vary. Hindsight is 20-20 and circumstances change which may change the accuracy of anything I say here.)

1. I made my own fishing tubes to carry my rods down to Mexico without first checking to see what the airline limitation might be. Turns out Alaska and Southwest have 3" diameter limitations. Oops. I now have two extra 4" tubes. If anyone would like to borrow any of these for your driving trek to San Diego or Mexico, let me know. (I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area) These 4' tubes are bullet proof and hold three rods.

2. I brought way too much gear. 4 rods and reels. Going from the domestic terminal to the international terminal was a pain. I fished from a panga and had a 20lb spinner and a 30 lb, 40 lb and 50 lb conventional reels, a bunch of lures, extra line, leaders, and hooks. The reality is the panga had everything I needed. Next time I might just bring two favored rod and reels and 2 or 3 lures. (#40-50) Panga equipment was adequate, as was all of the tackle.

3. I was satisfied with the panga outfitter and paid, I think, $270 for two people, plus $20 for bait. Note: As you walk the harbor there are a number of panqueros quoting prices in the $240-250 range. Depart around 6:30 am, back by 2-2:30 PM. They cleaned, packed and froze our catch and held it until we departed for the states.

4. En route back to the states Mexican TSA required us to put our reels in baggage. That was not required on the trip to Mexico.

5. Car rental. If you book with a major car rental agency here in the US, the contract price you agreed to is not what you'll pay in Mexico. Surprise. You'll pay more, because of the Mexican car insurance "requirement." Still not sure about this. In the end, I paid (I think) $230 for a Jetta for a week. Not bad, considering I paid $1200 for a week in Hawaii over the New Year.

6. The boss (Alan) suggested that I pick up insulated 50 can soda bags to carry back fish. Found two bags at COSTCO for $8.00 and they worked perfectly. We filled two bags with frozen sealed fish when we flew back.

7. Restaurants in Loreto are happy to prepare your catch for a nominal fee.

8. Bought my fishing license here in the states before I flew to Mexico. No problems.

9. Clothing. Two pairs of shorts and one pair of jeans would suffice. Long sleeve fishing shirts are recommended. Sun screen hat and sunglasses are important. You should see the tan lines still on my feet from wearing my KEEN sandals.

10. With the exception of one previously convicted felon, so he said,  who hassled my wife and my sister in law, we found the people to be warm, friendly and charming.

Finally, meeting with Jurelometer in Loreto  and all of the helpful tips I received, is a reminder of what a wonderful community Alan has created.

Tight line and thanks again.

Marc

Tiddlerbasher

4. En route back to the states Mexican TSA required us to put our reels in baggage. That was not required on the trip to Mexico.

Be warned this is now standard practice in the UK and most of Europe and some Asian countries as well. It seems that some of the airports will allow you to carry on reels without line (as useful as a chocolate teapot) ::)

Oh and NO fishing rods as carry on. That's why just about all of my rods are multi-piece ravel rods that will fit into a suitcase. Its either that or pay outrageous extra baggage charges for checked in stuff.

Dominick

1. I made my own fishing tubes to carry my rods down to Mexico without first checking to see what the airline limitation might be. Turns out Alaska and Southwest have 3" diameter limitations. Oops. I now have two extra 4" tubes. If anyone would like to borrow any of these for your driving trek to San Diego or Mexico, let me know. (I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area) These 4' tubes are bullet proof and hold three rods.

Marc I don't know where you got the information on 3" versus 4" but the large Bazooka is more than 4" and I see them carried all the time.

2. I brought way too much gear. 4 rods and reels. Going from the domestic terminal to the international terminal was a pain. I fished from a panga and had a 20lb spinner and a 30 lb, 40 lb and 50 lb conventional reels, a bunch of lures, extra line, leaders, and hooks. The reality is the panga had everything I needed. Next time I might just bring two favored rod and reels and 2 or 3 lures. (#40-50) Panga equipment was adequate, as was all of the tackle.

I too only take 2 reels and very little in the way of tackle.  I either use the rods I leave down there or borrow one from the boat.  Most of the time the locals don't have enough hooks.  Usually the lures on the boats work for the target fish.

3. I was satisfied with the panga outfitter and paid, I think, $270 for two people, plus $20 for bait. Note: As you walk the harbor there are a number of panqueros quoting prices in the $240-250 range. Depart around 6:30 am, back by 2-2:30 PM. They cleaned, packed and froze our catch and held it until we departed for the states.

The prices seem to be cheaper in Los Cabos.  A panga price down there is anywhere from $180.00 to $225.00.

I'm going down in November and will see what the regulations are at the time.  The Mexican airport security banned rods in the cabin for the first time last June.  I never had problems with reels in my carry-on but they change regulations like I change my socks. 

5. Car rental. If you book with a major car rental agency here in the US, the contract price you agreed to is not what you'll pay in Mexico. Surprise. You'll pay more, because of the Mexican car insurance "requirement." Still not sure about this. In the end, I paid (I think) $230 for a Jetta for a week. Not bad, considering I paid $1200 for a week in Hawaii over the New Year.

I don't know if Loreto has a Fox Rent-a-Car but they are extremely cheap for a mid-sized car (less than $8.00 for the week).  However, Mexican law requires that you must carry liability insurance.  I think it is around $20.00 a day.  Try Fox if available and book on line and carry the confirmation with the price to avoid and misunderstandings.

6. The boss (Alan) suggested that I pick up insulated 50 can soda bags to carry back fish. Found two bags at COSTCO for $8.00 and they worked perfectly. We filled two bags with frozen sealed fish when we flew back.

Good idea.  I might do this next trip.

Yes the Mexican people are very accommodating.

8. Bought my fishing license here in the states before I flew to Mexico. No problems.

Yep, easy peasy.  I usually get an annual.  I have been stopped and asked for my license when I was last in Loreto. 

9. Clothing. Two pairs of shorts and one pair of jeans would suffice. Long sleeve fishing shirts are recommended. Sun screen hat and sunglasses are important. You should see the tan lines still on my feet from wearing my KEEN sandals.

Yep. Also a little bottle of hand cleaner.

10. With the exception of one previously convicted felon, so he said,  who hassled my wife and my sister in law, we found the people to be warm, friendly and charming.

I'm sorry you ran into a dirtbag.

Finally, meeting with Jurelometer in Loreto  and all of the helpful tips I received, is a reminder of what a wonderful community Alan has created.

Yep, this is one great site.  Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Marc Fong

Quote from: Dominick on August 31, 2017, 07:06:49 PM

Marc I don't know where you got the information on 3" versus 4" but the large Bazooka is more than 4" and I see them carried all the time.

I looked at the airline website that indicated a 3" diameter. I called to confirm. The agent(s) were less than helpful I got several answers depending on who picked up. In any event I concluded that 4" was possible, but that kicks you into the category of excess charges.

I too only take 2 reels and very little in the way of tackle.  I either use the rods I leave down there or borrow one from the boat.  Most of the time the locals don't have enough hooks.  Usually the lures on the boats work for the target fish.

The prices seem to be cheaper in Los Cabos.  A panga price down there is anywhere from $180.00 to $225.00.
Nice. How's the fishing down there?

I'm going down in November and will see what the regulations are at the time.  The Mexican airport security banned rods in the cabin for the first time last June.  I never had problems with reels in my carry-on but they change regulations like I change my socks.  

I don't know if Loreto has a Fox Rent-a-Car but they are extremely cheap for a mid-sized car (less than $8.00 for the week).  However, Mexican law requires that you must carry liability insurance.  I think it is around $20.00 a day.  Try Fox if available and book on line and carry the confirmation with the price to avoid and misunderstandings.
I think that's what I was expecting, but likely got hosed. Whatcha going to do? Didn't want to walk to Loreto.

Good idea.  I might do this next trip.

Yes the Mexican people are very accommodating.

Yep, easy peasy.  I usually get an annual.  I have been stopped and asked for my license when I was last in Loreto.  

Yep. Also a little bottle of hand cleaner.

10. With the exception of one previously convicted felon, so he said,  who hassled my wife and my sister in law, we found the people to be warm, friendly and charming.

I'm sorry you ran into a dirtbag.

Finally, meeting with Jurelometer in Loreto  and all of the helpful tips I received, is a reminder of what a wonderful community Alan has created.

Yep, this is one great site.  Dominick

Let's do some fishing Dom!

Marc Fong

Pictures of my Costco soda can bags I used to carry on my frozen fish filets from Loreto. So far I've used them on 2 fishing trips and several camping/picnic trips and the plastic liner is still intact. Won't last forever, but for approximately $10.00, they've already paid for themselves. The Penn Torque 30 box will give you some sense as to the scale of the bag.

SoCalAngler

Don't forget to get your wristbands to fish in Loreto as most of the area is a marine park.

Marc Fong

Quote from: SoCalAngler on September 17, 2017, 12:25:47 AM
Don't forget to get your wristbands to fish in Loreto as most of the area is a marine park.

Good point. However, they ran out of the wristbands before we got there, so none was required. How much are they?