Newbie going to Loreto in July.

Started by Marc Fong, June 06, 2017, 05:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc Fong

I asked my wife if she wanted to go back to Loreto next year. She said not in July, because it was too hot. Also she reminded  me about the Panga bathroom break. Guess she didn't much like climbing off the dive ladder and taking a squat. I tried not laughing at the time she polluted Loreto, or yesterday, when she reminded me. The Panguero did avert his eyes. She'll get over it. Last week she just got back from a girls trip to Costa Rica, where she caught yellow fin tuna. I think she's hooked!

johndtuttle

Quote from: Marc Fong on October 10, 2017, 05:22:36 PM
I asked my wife if she wanted to go back to Loreto next year. She said not in July, because it was too hot. Also she reminded  me about the Panga bathroom break. Guess she didn't much like climbing off the dive ladder and taking a squat. I tried not laughing at the time she polluted Loreto, or yesterday, when she reminded me. The Panguero did avert his eyes. She'll get over it. Last week she just got back from a girls trip to Costa Rica, where she caught yellow fin tuna. I think she's hooked!

Yea, that's a good time to go further south. With the rainy season down there it is actually cooler than winter.

SoCalAngler

The bathroom stuff can be a issue for sure on smaller boats especially for the ladies, so I have no real help there other than renting a sport-fisher/ larger boat with a head.

As far as weather goes in Loreto this time of year is normally when I head back down. In mid to late October it is like someone flips a switch and the weather cools down, 80's in the days with cool nights and mornings. June is a transition month most years with the yt moving out the Dorado starting to move in. Years past I found great fishing in June for YT, Dorado and billfish. I guess I will have to see how things start to shape up moving forward.

I choose not to head back this year due to the poor fishing they have had for the last several years. When I say poor I mean not up the standard but even poor fishing there can be great at times.

Marc Fong

My wife's Costa Rican catch. Yes, she's hooked.

Marc Fong

Quote from: Marc Fong on September 16, 2017, 04:20:42 PM
Pictures of my Costco soda can bags I used to carry on my frozen fish filets from Loreto. So far I've used them on 2 fishing trips and several camping/picnic trips and the plastic liner is still intact. Won't last forever, but for approximately $10.00, they've already paid for themselves. The Penn Torque 30 box will give you some sense as to the scale of the bag.

No surprise. You get what you pay for. I've subsequently used the bag four-five more times and the poly liner has a number of tears. These bags are a cheap and potentially problematic for use in bringing back fish from Mexico. I bought a YETI bag, heavier, very expensive, but quite durable. That being said, I am considering other alternatives for bringing fish back from Mexico.

Marc Fong

Just got  this from Chris Wheaton, the coordinator of the " Fishin for the Mission Tournament" that we were invited to last July, in Loreto. If you want to see what Baja is all about, check out the videos on Amazon Prime, entitled "Destination Baja Sur"

Quoting from Chris Wheaton:

"For those of you that asked or are interested, Destination Baja Sur Season 2 is airing now. First airings are on the Pursuit Channel and then soon after they will be available on Amazon Prime. New episodes air on Sundays and episode 4 just aired. Episodes 9, 10, and 11 will be documenting the trip that we took on the Pacific Provider with my Sea Fox on board, fishing and filming from Ensenada to San Jose Del Cabo in 2016. I can't wait to see the adventure through the eyes of the cameramen and see what makes the cut. Set your DVR's to record the season and see the beauty of Baja California and that will explain why I have loved going down there for the last 45 years! If you missed the season 1 episode 1 in Loreto that I was on, it is available to watch free for Amazon Prime members already. The episode highlights the Fishin for the Mission tournament that I have run for the last 2 years. Enjoy!"

I'm definitely going back. Airfare is a bargain and accommodations was less than $100 a night. If you have an Alaska Airline credit card your buddy can fly free.

Ciao,
Marc

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Marc Fong on February 02, 2018, 11:49:12 PM
Just got  this from Chris Wheaton, the coordinator of the " Fishin for the Mission Tournament" that we were invited to last July, in Loreto. If you want to see what Baja is all about, check out the videos on Amazon Prime, entitled "Destination Baja Sur"

Quoting from Chris Wheaton:

"For those of you that asked or are interested, Destination Baja Sur Season 2 is airing now. First airings are on the Pursuit Channel and then soon after they will be available on Amazon Prime. New episodes air on Sundays and episode 4 just aired. Episodes 9, 10, and 11 will be documenting the trip that we took on the Pacific Provider with my Sea Fox on board, fishing and filming from Ensenada to San Jose Del Cabo in 2016. I can't wait to see the adventure through the eyes of the cameramen and see what makes the cut. Set your DVR's to record the season and see the beauty of Baja California and that will explain why I have loved going down there for the last 45 years! If you missed the season 1 episode 1 in Loreto that I was on, it is available to watch free for Amazon Prime members already. The episode highlights the Fishin for the Mission tournament that I have run for the last 2 years. Enjoy!"

I'm definitely going back. Airfare is a bargain and accommodations was less than $100 a night. If you have an Alaska Airline credit card your buddy can fly free.

Ciao,
Marc

Also check out the Tripui fishing tourney. Not much to enter, has kids division, no big money pay out as the proceeds go to charity. Without the big pay out boats are much more willing to call out where they are catching fish. There has been huge raffles in the past with lots of gear and such. Nice banquet if you choose to buy in for it, though not a must, great trophies if you are lucky enough to win a category and all kids get one for just being there and signed in.

It's held the last week in June. Thursday is signup for those that are not presigned in and there is a pot luck dinner, if you choose to attend the pot luck just bring a dish of your choice to share. Friday first day of tourney fishing. Saturday second and last day of the tourney, with awards that night, raffle and dinner. If you choose not to have dinner that's fine but do attend for awards and raffle. If you like adult beverages they are sold there or if you want to BYOB is fine also.

All the money raised helps out the local Loreto community. Off the top of my head one year it went to a school to get them much needed supplies, another time to the Loreto fire department which built them beds and cooking area that they did not have and to the old widows home to buy them a Suburban to get the ladies to the doctors, shopping and such.

It's a lot of fun and I have been there every year they have had the tourney.

SoCalAngler

The YT are WFO south of Loreto right now. Many of the boats out of Puerto Escondido are reporting limit style fishing for the moss backs. My pops went fishing out to Catalana and saw fish stacked up over a couple of high spots he likes to target. Their largest YT went to around 30 lbs. A couple of others boats around the island didn't have much luck until they got the radio info and headed to the area my father was at, then they proceeded to catch all the fish they wanted.

The bait report for the last couple of days has been bad, there is so much krill in the water that the Mack's will not bite the sabiki rigs. It seems their getting fat and happy on all that krill. Not to worry if you can't get bait, the fish are biting the iron well as well as other artificial's. Rick Hill (he is the person that gives the Loreto reports to Gary Gram for the Baja Bytes reports) was fishing with my dad and  decided to tie on one of the bucktail jigs I gave him. These are bigger jigs with 2-3 oz heads. The first cast out resulted in a yellowtail. Ya baby.

These are all good signs the Loreto area is back to form fishing wise after the poor last 4-5 years.  

Marc Fong

Quote from: SoCalAngler on March 10, 2018, 06:39:49 PM
The YT are WFO south of Loreto right now. Many of the boats out of Puerto Escondido are reporting limit style fishing for the moss backs. My pops went fishing out to Catalana and saw fish stacked up over a couple of high spots he likes to target. Their largest YT went to around 30 lbs. A couple of others boats around the island didn't have much luck until they got the radio info and headed to the area my father was at, then they proceeded to catch all the fish they wanted.

The bait report for the last couple of days has been bad, there is so much krill in the water that the Mack's will not bite the sabiki rigs. It seems their getting fat and happy on all that krill. Not to worry if you can't get bait, the fish are biting the iron well as well as other artificial's. Rick Hill (he is the person that gives the Loreto reports to Gary Gram for the Baja Bytes reports) was fishing with my dad and  decided to tie on one of the bucktail jigs I gave him. These are bigger jigs with 2-3 oz heads. The first cast out resulted in a yellowtail. Ya baby.

These are all good signs the Loreto area is back to form fishing wise after the poor last 4-5 years.  

Sounds promising. Can you rent pangas out of Puerto Escondido or would you rent one out of Loreto proper?

SoCalAngler

I don't think they have panga rentals right in Puerto Escondido, but Jose Torres of Torres Sportfishing lives in the bay next to Puerto Escondido and I have seen him pick people up at the Docks there. I would have no problems fishing with him or his sons, as a matter of fact I would highly recommend them. And they have pangas

Marc Fong

Anyone heading down to Loreto this year? My trial schedule has lightened up and I'm thinking about heading down early July for a quick trip. I've seen some nice pictures of mahi mahi and would like to get me some.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Marc Fong on June 02, 2018, 01:47:53 PM
Anyone heading down to Loreto this year? My trial schedule has lightened up and I'm thinking about heading down early July for a quick trip. I've seen some nice pictures of mahi mahi and would like to get me some.

I might be down, but most likely I'd stay 17 miles south of town in Tripui where my father lives. I don't think I would have a problem getting to town even not on fishing days, so splitting the room cost would be a issue if that was something you were looking to do. My father sold his boat as he is getting too old to deal with launching, getting in and out of it, maint. and such.

So panga rental is in my future when I head down.

Remember July is hot, very hot in the Loreto area. Loreto has a micro climate which is often hotter than places further south like La Paz or even Cabo. Many of the restaurants, shops and such close down in late June or beginning of July do to less tourist traffic and don't open back until Oct., so just remember that.

It might be better to head down in late Oct when things cool down. 

jurelometer

No dorado yet.   The only dorado out of Loreto  that I have heard about was from the the charter operation that travels pretty far for the big tuna.   They are getting some dorado in La Paz now, and the locals in Loreto are starting to think dorado thoughts as the fish work their way northward.

I saw lots of sardina  in April and May,  and a decent amount of sargasso grew over the winter.   The sargasso  is starting to break off and form paddies.  Water temps are climbing slow and steady.  Could be a decent summer for dorado and sailfish if enough get past the gauntlet of the commercial fishers.

-J

Marc Fong

My buddies caught some nice Dorado in July at the tournament I missed because of work. There's always next year.

Smols

Funny, I read this thread sometime back and thought loreto would be worth checking out. Just yesterday, I was invited to Loreto to fish the third week in August. They say the dorado are around in big numbers and they are even catching yellowtail some days. I know it will be hot, but I'm thinking it will be worth it if the dorado fishing is good - the yellows would be a bonus. Any feedback from you guys who know Loreto fishing would be welcome.

Smols