Tx shark fishing

Started by mechanicpsyco, June 07, 2017, 01:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Good things are worth waiting for.  Sometimes a beach outrigger can get your line up over the first bar.  That Sargassum gets pushed up against the beach but it doesn't strand on the sand very well.  I will roll back out and sort of concentrate and move around in the surf.  Once you get over the bar there is a lot less of it.  Besides the outrigger, take along a long bamboo pole with a notch in the end and use it to shake the heck out of the line to knock some of the weed off every few hours.  Also, make heavier leads with #6 copper grapnel wires sticking out of the sides.
-steve

Rancanfish

'with kayak and bonito and stingray for bait'.....yikes.   Do the newbies serve as kayak bait?  ;D

I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

mechanicpsyco

Got a line on a spot way down through PINS, they call it big shell.  On the map you can see the water is considerably deeper.  Hopefully that is the next trip.
Only one keeper drum today......but on the bright side......Hey that's a keeper in the freezer.

Shark Hunter,
I have lived in Corpus for right at a year now.  It is totally different, yes you can drive on the beach but people leave trash everywhere.  We usually leave with several bags of trash after a night of fishing, all of our beer cans and plates will normally fit in one bag, the rest is just trying to clean up the beach.
Another thing of note here, when you leave the beaten bath of the tourists and the beachgoers, always have more than one truck, If you get buried up alone you are screwed, no cell phone reception out there, we also use CB radios.  Some spots are 20 miles or more down the  beach.

oc1

Way back when there was a pipeline that ran across the island and out into the Gulf.  It was past Little Shell but not too far into Big Shell.  That was always a sharky spot.  Some said there was a hum coming from the pipe line that would attract them.  Also, Big Shell gives you a bit more elevation to keep your line up off the water.
-steve

mechanicpsyco

OC1
Cool, I cant wait to try it. my boys are 17 and 16, they will yak it out with the best of them till dark, then you are on your own.  I will take it out about 100 to 150 yards by hand, I cant kayak anymore, I'm old and broken.
Just want a good bull to catch and release, I do have to admit we do eat some of the blacktips under 48 inches.   I mainly shark fish but have been impressed lately with the drum and trout running through that are a ton of fun on the light stuff.

Shark Hunter

I turned 52 yesterday.
I don't consider myself broken yet.
I am always appreciative of others younger than me to Kayak the baits out,
But I will do it myself no matter what time of day.
As long as the waves are under 4 feet. ;)
Life is Good!

oc1

The last time I shark fished rotomolded kayaks did not yet exist.  But we had the newest thing, a surfboard.  Surfboards seemed like a huge technological jump because they were so much faster than paddling an automobile inner tube like the older generation had done.  Interestingly enough, Penn Senators have been there on the beach through it all.

Now I paddle three to five miles every day if the wind is not too strong.
-steve

Rickb

[/quote]
Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 11, 2017, 07:15:22 AM
I turned 52 yesterday.
I don't consider myself broken yet.
I am always appreciative of others younger than me to Kayak the baits out,
But I will do it myself no matter what time of day.
As long as the waves are under 4 feet. ;)
Happy belated birthday!
Like yourself I'm not broken ,I tell a buddy "I'm mending" ;D
Rickb