dam super 2 speed rebuild

Started by handyandy, June 07, 2017, 03:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handyandy

more pics removed the bearing retainer plate and pinion shaft with bearing. I haven't removed the bearing yet if it's like other dam quicks it's a tight fit and will take a little persuasion to get off. None the less the pinion is very robust and well machined. The bearing is very large and over sized compared to most reels today.

handyandy

Quote from: mo65 on June 30, 2017, 06:58:05 PM
   Wow, a 2 speed, I didn't even know they made that one! Your rebuild looks to be going well. 8)

Yes they did they're kind of rare picked this one up on the auction site a little while back was little expensive, compared to what I've spent on most reels that needed rebuilt. But got a decent price compared to what any of the buy it now ones were. Hard to say what a good price for one of these are though considering they aren't common and I don't think there are any two speed spinners made today, even single speed spinners of comparable quality cost close 300 plus dollars. So in my eyes it's still a bargain for an amazing reel and very cool one too.

Anyways more pics

handyandy

Well that's where I'm at now figured guys on here would appreciate all the pics so I took a bunch. Still minor pieces to take off, need to let all the parts soak and do good cleaning of them. Then get it back together, greased, and oiled properly. Then will work on making a CF drag stack for it. Will be a little while before I can taking off all of the July 4th week and going on vacation with the GF, mom, sister, and niece so won't be till the week after the fourth that I mess with it more. The overall pic also shows my mess of a work bench I try to be more organized like freds shop but I'm no where near close. But for now the reel will sit there on the bench till I can mess with it more.

foakes

Sent out the red 2 speed knob today, Andy --

Tommy is right -- just go to a craft or hobby store to get some SS rod.

Might have the washers & shims -- but do not think so.  These reels were very short production -- and parts are basically impossible to locate.  Fortunately, I have a few for members.

The shims & washers are easily sourced -- just got to match them up -- either online, or local hobby shop.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handyandy

thankfully none of the parts that can't be sourced or something else used in place are broken. The one small shim washer and the pin was it other than cf drags I'll file fit I don't think it will take much other than cleaning, greasing, oiling, and reassembly. Thanks for the knob that pin was stuck in there good wouldn't have got it any other way

handyandy

Fred the knob came in while I was gone on vacation thanks a lot, your a savior for these old reels. Hopefully I can find some time this week to start cleaning everything and getting it back together.

happyhooker

Wow, that's a dandy reel & I can see you're having a blast working on it, even with all the "trials and tribulations".  Keep the story coming; I'll bet there is a lot of interest.

handyandy

I'll keep it coming unfortunately as much as I like working through the accumulation of old reels I have now, they're usually pretty low on the priority list of things to do. Been busy so haven't had time to start getting it back together.

Rivverrat

I had no idea about this reel either. This is one cool reel....Jeff

foakes

Got one of these old, rare 275 Super 2-speeds on the bench now --

Will start it in a few days...

Doing it for Sheridan -- one of our members.

He asked Adam to cut some CFs and SS eared and round drag washers.  With the HD metal spool -- we will see how it does when the reel is completely restored, serviced, micro-tuned, and the drag stack has Cals.

That 2 speed is smooth, overbuilt, and effective.

These old Supers are a strong reel with a double anchored bail guide, tough gears, and dead simple operation in the salt.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

I had no Idea there was a 2 speed Super.
I'll keep it simple with the single speeds I have. ;)
Enjoying the show.
Life is Good!

Swami805

Thanks Fred, Figured I'd get it done by the best. I'd posted on here about how to lap the washers and Adam messaged me that he could cut me some washers, couldn't say yes fast enough, thanks Adam. When I get it back  I'll test it with a drag scale and see what kind of numbers it gets. This could get interesting. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

Wow, that's so cool. 

My friend is fishing with a 2-speed Roddy spinner reel.  These are very interesting.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rivverrat

It reely is very " COOL " .  For me it's really neat from a design standpoint maybe not so much for actual fishing....Jeff

handyandy

Sorry was gone for a while on my annual training in the Army Reserves finally got mine all back together put back together I still need to find some rod to put the red gear selector knob back on. I left the drag stack stock but I replaced the resistax with cf's I filed down starting with sedona 3000 cf's. I was going to try lapping down the factory metal washers to squeeze in a few more cf drag disk but opted not to for now just wanted it back together. If you don't mind pm'ing adam's contact info I may buy some of those stainless washers from him. I kind of had a bummer moment on a single speed super I had been meaning to get to for a while while taking it apart and wondering what kept the bail from tripping back to closed I found the aluminum cast in ear on the rotor that helps support the bail release was broken off of the rotor. So it may become a parts reel and I might have to pick up another single speed. Anyways parts cleaned up let them soak in mineral spirits then an ultrasonic cleaning. regreased using quicksilver 2-4-C grease. I use it cause I always have some on hand for the jet drive and it has been working well for me.