dam super 2 speed rebuild

Started by handyandy, June 07, 2017, 03:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

handyandy

Fred looks like the one your working on is starting in much better shape than mine. Keep us posted on yours and take pictures of it along the way. Tried to take detailed pics of mine going back together.

handyandy

pics continued

handyandy

more pics bearing cleaned up then greased installed

handyandy

cf drag I made next to one of the resitax put the side cover with gears back on with the crosswind piece and attached the handle. Assembled the spool the same as factory just with the greased CF disc I made. Reel operates great drag is a lot smoother really strong I don't have scale to measure it with. I'd be very interested in the stainless washers. last pic is the broken rotor from my single speed super :'(

handyandy

Quote from: foakes on August 29, 2017, 04:52:14 AM
Got one of these old, rare 275 Super 2-speeds on the bench now --

Will start it in a few days...

Doing it for Sheridan -- one of our members.

He asked Adam to cut some CFs and SS eared and round drag washers.  With the HD metal spool -- we will see how it does when the reel is completely restored, serviced, micro-tuned, and the drag stack has Cals.

That 2 speed is smooth, overbuilt, and effective.

These old Supers are a strong reel with a double anchored bail guide, tough gears, and dead simple operation in the salt.

Best,

Fred

Fred how does one get some of those CF's and stainless drag washers for the super like you have pictured.

foakes

Adam (777) cut those for Sheridan --

And they turned out very well -- Adam knows what he is about.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

swill88

I sent a set of Super drag washers to Adam last week.  Three metals and three fiber.

He is probably just drying out from Irma so we haven't yet talked about how many to cut. I'm hoping to get a 5 stack of thin washers in the 270 spool and maybe more in the 550 spool. Stay tuned.

steve

foakes

Caution is helpful on the plastic spools in regards to over-dragging...

They are only going to take so much -- then they will break.

On the metal spools -- I think rather than milling out the drag stack cavity -- thinner greased CF's are better.

Got to remember, even with the resistex old brown drags -- these caught trophy fish worldwide for 3 generations.  The Cal's greased CFs with thinner SS washers, and more of them for more surface stoppong power -- I think is the key to smoothness and more drag.

The reel will easily handle the increased drag with no issues -- the problem comes when we use a plastic spool or make a metal spool weaker by milling.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't experiment -- just know the limitations and what makes sense from a time vs. effort vs. result scenario.

IMO only.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

handyandy

Fred I agree with you, hence why I'd like to get my hands on some of those thinner washers to fit more cf drag disc in the standard quick super spool. I have the factory drag stack in there now just replaced the resistax with cf ones I made starting with carbontex drags meant for a sedona 3000. It improved the smoothness of the drag greatly, and the probably increased the drag capacity some what, but I don't think a ton. To increase the drag resistance greatly it definetly needs to fit more cf disc which the thinner stainless washers would allow. It's a superb reel two speed or normal one alike with just the resistax being replaced with greased CF, but more drag would certainly be a plus and it certainly is built so that it could handle more drag. I have one spool with stock resistax drag set up and another with CF I need to figure out something to measure how much drag I can get from both. then upgrade one to the stainless washers and increased amount of CF disc and see what it could do. I think one with stainless washers and more CF's would be capable of 15lbs if not some more.

handyandy

I still have resistax under the spool as I didn't have any other cf disc to use when I made the mod I need to order some more.

foakes

Right, Andy --

One thing to bear in mind --

The oldtimers caught many fish much larger than we are getting today -- on older gear with small or limited drags.

So, what is the difference?

The rod -- and the emphasis on using the right type of rod correctly to establish a buffer-action between you and the fish -- and also a natural drag to wear down a large fish.

There is angling skill involved, technique, patience, and many other things we may have overlooked in our quest to get the highest drag out of a reel.

The rod, and the skill of the angler, has much more to do with success, IMO -- than the drag on a reel.

While the drag is obviously important -- a reel is just a line storage device as we play a fish.

Many may disagree, because it is fun to play with upgrading reels -- but the oldtimers were successful not because of their reels -- more due to their skill and a proper rod for targeting their quarry.

Just personal opinions.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

handyandy

fred I don't disagree with that at all. In fact I agree, but if I can make something better without too much trouble why not? And it's fun to mess with these reels, and see what they are capable of. Are these upgrades needed no, no they aren't really it's only seldom that I would have fish that would really be pushing it in factory form let alone upgraded. Cause to really push one of these reels for me a fish that would test it would be a 30lb plus catfish. Which I encounter but not with great frequency. More so whats usually the case is I'm sauger jigging or bass fishing with lighter tackle to make it fun, and a big drum, catfish, or hybrid will decide to bite. Giving my lighter stuff with 6-8lb test a run a for it's money. So for me really it's usually the cardinal 3/4, quick 110/220, penn 714/430 that get the most use, and most abuse from the occasional fish that is over their intended limit. The bigger reels really only get pushed every so often with a trophy fish as I might get one 30 plus pound catfish for every 30-40 fish caught. So that isn't frequent as it isn't every time I go fishing that I'm after big catfish.

Rivverrat

It's funny you all are disscussing this. Was waiting on some parts in the cleaner & was thinking...You know I like these super reels a lot. After some thought I believe  It's best that any modofications for the drag be done in a
manner all can easily benifit from.
I fully believe there is enough material within reason, to be milled out for slightly larger diameter washers. However I dont think i'ts the best way to go. I just dont want to drive to far off the road & end up losing sight of what we have here regarding these reels. At some point it's best to look at another tool for the task.

Andy I've really enjoyed your thread here on this 2 speed Super....Jeff

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on September 14, 2017, 07:58:00 PM
Right, Andy --

One thing to bear in mind --

The oldtimers caught many fish much larger than we are getting today -- on older gear with small or limited drags.

So, what is the difference?

The rod -- and the emphasis on using the right type of rod correctly to establish a buffer-action between you and the fish -- and also a natural drag to wear down a large fish.

There is angling skill involved, technique, patience, and many other things we may have overlooked in our quest to get the highest drag out of a reel.

The rod, and the skill of the angler, has much more to do with success, IMO -- than the drag on a reel.

While the drag is obviously important -- a reel is just a line storage device as we play a fish.

Many may disagree, because it is fun to play with upgrading reels -- but the oldtimers were successful not because of their reels -- more due to their skill and a proper rod for targeting their quarry.

Just personal opinions.

Best,

Fred

I totally agree, Fred. In addition to rod action, since I only fish freshwater, I prefer top grade mono over braid. I always use a fairly light weight fast or extra fast tip in conjunction with the mono. That allows me to get extreme sensitivity. Some people hate mono stretch but I find it somewhat forgiving in that as long as you don't "horse" the fish you get a little give with both the lighter rod and mono stretch. IMHO it's too easy to rip the hook out of the fishes mouth with braid, even if you are using a moderate action rod. 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Three se7ens

Quote from: handyandy on September 14, 2017, 04:05:49 PM

Fred how does one get some of those CF's and stainless drag washers for the super like you have pictured.

Those seem to be gathering a fair amount of interest.  Give me a few days to get caught up on everything, and Ill get the ones Steve sent me measured up.  I will do a run with enough washers for everyone interested, and maybe a few extra sets for me to keep on hand. 

Fred, do you know if the drag washers are interchangeable between the different models?