dam super 2 speed rebuild

Started by handyandy, June 07, 2017, 03:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swill88

I opened up (4) 270 Supers (including the 2 speed).

The spools are metal. (3) have the stack I sent to Adam.

Tongue-fiber-eared-fiber-tongue-fiber-spool.

I think I measured the stack it at 0.27". (from memory... where are my notes!)

The (1) different spool is a 2 piece metal. It came with one metal washer.

A tongued and no fiber. It has a shallow well and does not have ear slots for the eared washer. It will tough to modify imo.

Also, I opened up (2) 550. The spools are plastic.
they are interchangeable with the 270. The drags are  identical to those I sent you. It's a deeper well and the most washers could fit here. With a plastic spool how much drag?

My calcs for 5 stack Super are hiding from me and the pics are in the cloud. Will add these soon.

Fred serviced my nib 550 and it's beautiful  He knows way more about these than everyone here. (Midway Tommy?)

I've opened all of six. Freds comments on these reels is priceless. Thanks!

And Adam, Thanks. We want your skills and input (after you dry out of course.)

Please pitch in everybody.

HandiAndy, Riverat and Mo.Thanks for these threads!

Steve (hijacker)

foakes

Glad to check a few of mine -- and let you know,tomorrow, Adam.

Pretty sure all of the Super 270's are the same.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

swill88

A couple 270 spools.  Totally different washer size.

Spools are interchangeable with all my supers and 550s

mo65

Quote from: swill88 on September 15, 2017, 05:24:29 AM
A couple 270 spools.  Totally different washer size.

Yes...unfortunately I have the spool with the smaller washer. It appears to be the problem child. So far this week I've read of 5 of these spools opened up by members, only to find that one...single...keyed metal washer inside! What the heck kinda drag stack is that? I did add a resistex disc between that one metal washer and the spool, and it is better, but there's no way this set up can compare with the 3-stack spool.
   Curious to know more about this situation.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Midway Tommy

QuoteFred serviced my nib 550 and it's beautiful  He knows way more about these than everyone here. (Midway Tommy?)

Fred knows more about the inner workings of DAM reels than I will ever know. I've got at least one of nearly every model or version but I've only dove into my early Junior, Microlite, 110, 110N, 1001 & one 220N, so I'm sitting back here learning from you gents! One of these days the stash in my crates will get serviced/restored and whittled down to the point where going through the DAMs will be a breeze considering the tips y'all are providing. My Super, Line Counter & Two Speed should be a lot simpler now.  8)   
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Rivverrat

The 2 piece  split spool is not the one for mods. As stated prior the opening for the drag stack is smaller diameter & not as deep.
The drag knob is 2 bladed, aluminum on the more desirable spool.
The drag knob on all Supers with a split spool that I have come across are 3 bladed & made of plastic.

If you come across something different I'd like to know...Jeff.

Rivverrat

Also every line counter I have or have come across has a split spool....Jeff

handyandy

good to know about what you have found on the drag knobs. Both my spools are the single piece ones both have the metal two blade knobs. So mine hold true that the two blade metal knobs came on the one piece we'll say improved one piece metal spools with the larger drag washer bore. But who knows if that's how mine came originally given the age hard to say. One being a regular one speed super non line counter the other being the two speed.

handyandy

Quote from: Midway Tommy on September 14, 2017, 10:12:49 PM
Quote from: foakes on September 14, 2017, 07:58:00 PM
Right, Andy --

One thing to bear in mind --

The oldtimers caught many fish much larger than we are getting today -- on older gear with small or limited drags.

So, what is the difference?

The rod -- and the emphasis on using the right type of rod correctly to establish a buffer-action between you and the fish -- and also a natural drag to wear down a large fish.

There is angling skill involved, technique, patience, and many other things we may have overlooked in our quest to get the highest drag out of a reel.

The rod, and the skill of the angler, has much more to do with success, IMO -- than the drag on a reel.

While the drag is obviously important -- a reel is just a line storage device as we play a fish.

Many may disagree, because it is fun to play with upgrading reels -- but the oldtimers were successful not because of their reels -- more due to their skill and a proper rod for targeting their quarry.

Just personal opinions.

Best,

Fred

I totally agree, Fred. In addition to rod action, since I only fish freshwater, I prefer top grade mono over braid. I always use a fairly light weight fast or extra fast tip in conjunction with the mono. That allows me to get extreme sensitivity. Some people hate mono stretch but I find it somewhat forgiving in that as long as you don't "horse" the fish you get a little give with both the lighter rod and mono stretch. IMHO it's too easy to rip the hook out of the fishes mouth with braid, even if you are using a moderate action rod. 

I agree with you guys, but if I can make the reel better without major modification or money why not? I agree on the mono I prefer mono. Albeit I do have braid on a handful of rods for specific applications. I have one penn 430 spool with 15lb powerpro, another cardinal 4 metal spool with the same. These spools I use almost entirely for changing out on these reels when I want to cast top waters or jigs in heavy pads/weeds. I personally find the braid allows me to pull the lures like frogs or weedless jigs through thick weed cover/pads much better. I will also use the braid when jigging for sauger/walleye sometimes as even with a good rod I find the sensitivity of braid with a mono or flouro leader to help when they aren't biting hard. The braid doesn't catch as much of the river current and sinks so I can get away with lighter jigs which helps feel the light bite sauger can have sometimes. I like to help out people that will go fishing with me that aren't as in tune with telling the difference between they barely bump bottom or have a sauger stealing their minnow. I also have braid on penn 209 and 309 I use for paddle fish snagging where I don't want any stretch at all so it will sink the snagging hook into the fish, once again it sinks, and is thinner diameter than mono so I can use slightly lighter weights which is nice when you constantly heaving them up and down. So for me braid has it's uses, I prefer mono, and use it mostly. Fred what is the line rough capacity of super spools?

Rivverrat

Quote from: handyandy on September 18, 2017, 04:03:36 PM
good to know about what you have found on the drag knobs. Both my spools are the single piece ones both have the metal two blade knobs. So mine hold true that the two blade metal knobs came on the one piece we'll say improved one piece metal spools with the larger drag washer bore. But who knows if that's how mine came originally given the age hard to say. One being a regular one speed super non line counter the other being the two speed.
I will add here that I did recently see 2 Super line counter models with the 2 blade drag knob.

foakes

Here is approximate line capacity when these reels were born -- using the mono of the day.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Three se7ens

The post is up in my section for the new washers/drag kit.  Included is a PDF with the dimensions of the drag washers.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22913.0

handyandy

Quote from: Three se7ens on September 25, 2017, 01:48:52 AM
The post is up in my section for the new washers/drag kit.  Included is a PDF with the dimensions of the drag washers.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22913.0

Awesome thanks, I also add I picked up a parts single speed super it had a two blade drag knob and the single piece spool so far for me the two blades are holding true being on single piece spools.

steelfish

wow, really old thread but I didnt a 2-speed spinning reel exited much less it now considered a vintage reel, so, where are the modern 2-speed spinning reels?
The Baja Guy

foakes

Quote from: steelfish on October 13, 2021, 01:00:38 AM
wow, really old thread but I didnt a 2-speed spinning reel exited much less it now considered a vintage reel, so, where are the modern 2-speed spinning reels?

Good question, Alex...

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.