2/0 "Bait Special" conversion of a 3/0

Started by mhc, June 11, 2017, 12:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhc

I've started converting a black plated 112 3/0 into a 2/0 size using custom stainless stand, frame spacers and a 29L-85 spool. The 111 2/0 and the 112 3/0 use the same gear set as the 113 4/0 used to make "Grouper Special" reels. I thought a smaller reel with the same gears would suit braid better (The term 'Bait Special' was suggested by Rudy (RowdyW) when I asked what a small diameter grouper special would be called after Mo65 posted photos of his "River King" 99 width 259 & I couldn't think of a better name  :D)

I started with an international 30-20 stand and had the mounting bolt holes and half moon disks welded in to give somewhere for the rod clamp to screw in. Thanks to Ray (superhook) for the disk idea when I made a 349 stand using an international stand.

As you can see it took a bit of work on the bench grinder and files to get it somewhere close to what I needed.

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

mhc

Oops - hit post instead of review.

The spacer rings were made using the same process for a longbeach 60 frame made a while back - hacksaw. grinder and files.

The next step was to make some spacer bars. To use the 5-40 screws, the spacer needs to be at least 5mm thick to give a 1mm clearance either side of the screw - I used a piece of 40 mm wide 6mm 316 stainless bent around a 60 mm dia rod. We needed a bit of heat to do this.

Used a belt sander to 'square' one end for reference and mark the spacers.

Cut the segments with a thin cut-off wheel and then square the 2 pieces on the bench grinder;

I then marked out and drilled the holes to reduce some of the weight;

I did a test fit to make sure it was going to work before I went any further.

The spool spins OK, thats a good start! - but I'm out of time for now. I'll follow up when I make more progress.

Mike

mo65

I'm diggin' this! Nice work...bet it turns out great!  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

thorhammer

Decker

A working reel slowly emerges from hunks of twisted metal...  artistry!

Donnyboat

Good stuff mike, talented patient work, looking forward to the end result, should be, nice strong reel, consitering what you started with. cheers Don, Mail in the post, this evening.
Don, or donnyboat

Alto Mare

Lots of talent here in creating some of the most unique reels out there and all done by hand.
Don't ever stop doing this Mike. Thanks for the entertainment!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

redsetta

This is terrific Mike - great work!
Looking forward to the next post.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

STRIPER LOU

Mike, that's a lot of great hand work. Your a patient man!

......................Lou

oc1

Wow.  Nice work.  You're a talented guy Mike. 
-steve

mhc

Thanks for the encouragement guys - I hope to get a bit more done later in the week.
I had a bit happening when I started this thread and with the distractions I ended up putting it in the international section instead of the senator section. (the use of a modified international stand probably doesn't qualify the reel as an international  :D) I'm not sure how these things work, but could one of the moderators move it to the senator section without too much trouble?
Mike

sdlehr

Quote from: mhc on June 13, 2017, 11:58:08 AMcould one of the moderators move it to the senator section without too much trouble?
Mike
Done! No problem at all!  Mike, please elaborate on the half-moon disks. I can imagine their purpose but am not sure. Thanks.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

thorhammer

That Int stand is designed to be mounted to an Int tube frame, which has separate threaded holes for clamp studs. What Mike did was weld in discs to the fill the hourglass contour which he will then drill and tap to accept clamp studs for the 2/0 width.

mhc

Thanks for that Sid.
Good point about the disks - I knew what I was thinking but should have explained it for the rest of us. They are to fill in the cutouts in the stand to give somewhere for a rod clamp to screw into. The international T stands have the cutouts to reduce weight and the rod clamps screw directly into the reels frame. When I used one of these stands to make a 349 stand, I screwed 'lugs' onto the spacer disk to attach a clamp and was looking for an easier way.

A photo of the 349 stand.

Thanks again,
Mike