tomatoes

Started by Alto Mare, June 11, 2017, 01:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Last season I spent over $200 purchasing tomatoes plants, this year I was determined not to purchase any.

These were started from seeds, my wife told me I wouldn't be eating tomatoes this year with those.
I don't know, after 4 week  they look pretty good to me and already about 2' tall with flowers.

I believe I will be eating some and probably better than usual ;D

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

STRIPER LOU

Those look nice and healthy Mr. C.

Tomatoes, garlic, and parsley are like my favorite ingredients. Hope you have a bumper crop, looks like a great start!

......................Lou

RowdyW

The taste of home grown tomatoes can't be beat.

mo65

Sal, I wish you were closer, I could fix ya up for those tomato plants. My dad deals in plants and produce...we always have left over plants that don't sell...and whoever is around at the time gets a killer deal. We are just starting to get a few green ones. Hope your plants do well.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Gfish

Quote from: RowdyW on June 11, 2017, 02:21:14 PM
The taste of home grown tomatoes can't be beat.

Straight-Up! I don't even bother buying 'em anymore.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Keta

We planted last week, it froze the last 2 nights and looks like it will 2 more.  We were ready for it and know how to survive.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

Cool Beans....errr Tomatoes  ;)  Looks like it's gonna be a good harvest brother.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

bhale1

Tomatoes huh.....we use a bunch of them in our house too!!! You are talking about making salsa right ;D
Brett

steelhead_killer

We planted cherry and plumb tomato and they are doing great!  Mine are like 30" and have more flowers than ever.  We have not had the best weather either.  The best tomato growing I ever had was in Nevada.  Hot, dry air with plenty of water at the base of the plant.  Had giant crops. 

Andy
><)))">

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on June 11, 2017, 02:31:44 PM
We planted last week, it froze the last 2 nights and looks like it will 2 more.  We were ready for it and know how to survive.
:D :D
I already know that you know how to survive, i've listened to your stories for some time now.
As going out in the middle of a snow storm and get the snow off the roof before it caves in, chopping ice off the pond so the sheep could drink, crawling under the foundation to melt the frozen pipes. ;D
And at times you get lucky with shotting off the heater when a heatwave of above 35 degreese rolls in.
I still don't know how you manage Lee. ;D

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

One good thing is our summers are not too hot Sal.  Some of our corn is just now coming up and is protected by being 2" below the surface level in post holes.  My garlic is over 2' tall and thriving.  My bees are cold though.  The peppers and tomatoes are planted alongside fence panels so we can cover them up in the spring and fall.  If we survive the next 4 days we should be OK until late August or early September.

Quote from: steelhead_killer on June 11, 2017, 03:40:50 PM
We planted cherry and plumb tomato and they are doing great!  Mine are like 30" and have more flowers than ever.  We have not had the best weather either.  The best tomato growing I ever had was in Nevada.  Hot, dry air with plenty of water at the base of the plant.  Had giant crops.  

Andy

Iowa is a good place to grow anything but I could not deal with the humidity and the long drive to saltwater.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

mikeysm

Try growing some 349h parts.

Mike

Keta

Quote from: mikeysm on June 11, 2017, 05:36:50 PM
Try growing some 349h parts.

Mike

Spools, bearings, rings, stands and gears. 

Mark Twain

oc1

Stuff grows pretty fast here but tomatoes are really difficult for us.  The piercing insects ruin them before they can fully ripen.  In the most recent attempt we were putting each green cluster of fruit in a little mesh bag to protect them.  They did great until the last few weeks when the rats found them and chewed the bags and tomatoes.
-steve

Keta

We are having a heat wave here, it has warmed up to 45 with wind and trying to rain.

Mark Twain