tomatoes

Started by Alto Mare, June 11, 2017, 01:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I am so ready for some Home Grown Goodness.
I eat them until the corners of my mouth start cracking from the acid content.
Life is Good!

54bullseye

swill88

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 11, 2017, 08:59:46 PM
I eat them until the corners of my mouth start cracking from the acid content.

That hit the spot. Thanks Daron.

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 11, 2017, 08:59:46 PM

Store bought fruit and vegetables are mostly crap, tomatoes and peaches are some of the worse.  Last year we drove 90 miles over the mountains to
Medford, OR and picked 200# of ripe peaches, canned and possessed for a week but we are eating good.  Jalapeno peach jam is very good.  I ate over 10 peaches to make sure the ones we were picking were good...:0)
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

David Hall

In my family growing up we always had a family garden, I remember the first time I put one in after my wife and I married, she couldn't understand why I would go through so much work?  After eating the fresh tomatoes there was no looking back.  I just finished tilling for the garden this morning after not having a garden the past three years, I couldn't stand it anymore.  I just have to figure out how to keep the rats and squirrels out of them.  Last year they took every single peach off the tree, the night before I was going to harvest!  I'm told the best repellant is to get a dog, so I took some boards off the fence so my neighbors dog can come over and chase the rodents away.  Hope it works!

Dominick

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on June 11, 2017, 02:03:03 PM
Those look nice and healthy Mr. C.

Tomatoes, garlic, and parsley are like my favorite ingredients. Hope you have a bumper crop, looks like a great start!

......................Lou
Lou you forgot basil... I can't grow tomatoes in my yard the nights are too cool.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

STRIPER LOU

Dom, our basil plant is in the front window. Whenever I want a piece, I just head into the living room with a pair of scissors. We have Basil all year long!

Three se7ens

Quote from: Keta on June 11, 2017, 07:07:20 PM
We are having a heat wave here, it has warmed up to 45 with wind and trying to rain.

Last week we had the coldest June day on record for the last decade.  It was in the low 70's...

bluefish69

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on June 12, 2017, 12:44:10 AM
Dom, our basil plant is in the front window. Whenever I want a piece, I just head into the living room with a pair of scissors. We have Basil all year long!

Lou

I have 3 Basil Plants in my window sill. They look like bushes. Also Rosemary, Thyme, Parsley & Oregano. I think we are covered.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

I can't imagine dealing with all those pests,
Our main pests are squirrels and chipmunks. The occasional Deer, Racoons and Possums.
If any of these disturb my only crop, they will be shot.
I live in the city, but I will not tolerate any vermin in my garden.
22 to 12 gauge. You are not getting my maters. ;)
Being so close to the 4th of July, I can fire a gun in the back yard.
My mater garden is right outside the back door.
It was a firework. ;D
Life is Good!

Decker

One trick that has worked for me...   When the plants get "leggy" (tall and thin) and before blossoming, dig them up, remove any leaves near the bottom of the stem, and replant them much deeper, a 5-6 inches below the newest leaves.  The stem that you have just buried will sprout roots, and the existing roots will be even deeper in the soil, where there is more moisture.   Even if you can't go much deeper, you can lay the stem sideways to plant it.   More roots -- healthier plants.   If I buy plants late in the season, they tend to be scrawny, too big for their pots, and cheap, but after replanting them that way, they thrive.  It's hard to kill a tomato plant. ;D

Bulldawg

Home grown tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, EVO, balsamic and a piece of semolina bread..

It's what's for dinner!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bulldawg on June 12, 2017, 10:30:35 PM

Home grown tomatoes, basil, mozzarella, EVO, balsamic and a piece of semolina bread..

It's what's for dinner!
You got it Bulldawg! I  recently dicovered mozzarella from Hole Food store...good stuff.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

exp2000

Great stuff Sal !

In our hot climate. we can only grow produce in the winter time. Summer is too hot for most things to survive.

Truss tomatoes are the only edible ones in the supermarkets and they are pretty pricey at he moment - A$7.00 per kilo.

A great simple snack is avocado on bread topped with fresh rocket (Arugula) and tomato with a bit of pepper.

It's a magic combination!
~

Rancanfish

Yeah, fresh veggies and fresh fish. I have trouble eating the store bought salmon my wife buys.

The tomatoes in the store have the texture of potatoes, and no flavor.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.