tomatoes

Started by Alto Mare, June 11, 2017, 01:56:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Long Enuff

My daughter has certainly grown over the years.  Tomatoes, however, are about the same.

Alto Mare

Very nice Long Enuff! I let them get tall as well, I don't like to cut the tips.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Very Nice.
A small garden is one of the simple things in life that keeps me sane.
Just a simple pleasure.
There are pests that keeps others from such a thing.
I consider myself lucky. ;)
Life is Good!

gstours

yes mr sharkee dude,  gardening is therapy,  so is working on fishing stuff! :)
   I had a row of Kale winter over first time ever.  Like rhubarb it rises to see the sun,  now is 4 ft tall and flowering w yellow colors.
  Got so tall I had to tie it up .    Enjoy what you have. ;)

steelfish

Quote from: Alto Mare on June 14, 2017, 04:12:45 PM

These are very meety, I enjoy them diced up and fried with extra virgin olive oil and a little garlic.

Compadre Sal, can you school me a bit more on how do you prepare those fried tomatoes?

I really like to eat tomatoes at any way/form specially fresh, on a breakfast with the eggs I usually slice a whole tomatoe and eat it like candy.
but I've been hearing about frying tomatoes but really dont know whats the correct way to do it

here in Mexico we have a nice variety of tomatoes but what I usually buy (really hard to grow tomatoes in the desert) is the "pear tomatoe" and Jitomate

Pear tomate

Jitomate or tomate ball
The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Hey compadre, we call those Roma tomatoes, or plum tomatoes. We used to get a couple of hundred bushels from Jersey farms, when my Mom was around. I have friends that still do, that's what we use to make tomatoe sauce.
We do fry tomatoes sometimes, but only the green ones, not the ones from the early season, we usually use the ones from late season that are left on the vine.
We have many dishes we use tomatoes for,  today I happen to be in and out and decided to make zucchini parmigiana.
These are from my garden, but not the tomatoes

I dip them in egg, breadcrumbs and fry them up

those will then get assembled in a baking pan in layers with fresh tomatoes that have been cooked in some olive oil and garlic, topped with the king of cheese and mozzarella. Will then bakes for 45 minutes.

We also make stuffed tomatoes with rice, you could also add ground beef, we like it without.
The dish we make the most at my house is tomatoe salad. Very simple, tomatoes cut into wedges, placed in a bowl with a piece of garlic, sliced ognions, fresh basil, sliced cucumber, balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.
At times we'll add lettuce to it, depends on the mood.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George6308

Alto it's not sauce......it's gravy!

Alto Mare

Quote from: George6308 on July 05, 2017, 08:45:36 PM
Alto it's not sauce......it's gravy!
haha...I have seen this argument  go on for some time and never got anywhere. :)
I'm imported and where I come from, we would consider gravy same as that brown gravy you would get with your sloppy joe's ;D.

We call it salsa di pomodoro:

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/italian-english/salsa-di-pomodoro

Sal

steelfish

Thanks Sal, those zuccini look so yummi

Btw, I would call that a Salsa too.  ;)
The Baja Guy

mo65

Finally! My Rife's Pink tomatoes are ripening...they are always the last variety to mature...but so worth the wait. I posted this pic on the Facebooks but just had to share it here too. That's the tomatoes double stacked on a big ol' burger and an ear of Silver Queen sweet corn...Lord have mercy! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Shark Hunter

My plants are finally at their peak.
They were planted the second week of may at about 10" tall.
They took their sweet time.
Pick three or four about every day.
This won't last long, but I am enjoying it!
Life is Good!

David Hall

Mine went in really late, they're just about four feet tall and blossoms galore, no fruit yet but soon.
I did get a dozen jalapeƱos harvested yesterday!  One ghost pepper on the bush.  A ton of serano peppers, a few arboles.  Pickled the jalapeƱos. Next batch is getting stuffed and smoked.

steelfish

I wish I could grow any vegetables here  :'( :'(

miles around is desert and extremely hot and dry, only few trees and green plants survice, all the rest are local desert spicky bushes and plants
The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Early Saturday morning harvest:

The large tomatoe in the back weighs 1.5 lbs, here she is resting on my tank for size comparison

Sal

David Hall

Sal I have to ask what you do with the Italian peppers?  Do you pickle or eat them fresh?