Looking to expand my quiver

Started by igoswoop, June 12, 2017, 04:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

igoswoop

Hello, just did a brief intro over in the welcome thread and I thought I'd start here next. My first question would be to avoid starting new topics like the one I'm about to begin. Is there a good search process or mechanism you use regularly here to avoid redundant threads? Trying to not be the new guy asking the same things over and over.

On to my current request...

I have an older Mako 20 that I fish out of Canaveral, FL. With the teak trim and the older school style the boat has, my older Penns just look the part and I enjoy using them. The Jigmaster 500's I'm using on a pair of Star kingfish rods with 30lb mono have been an absolute blast bump trolling live bait or pulling spoons nearshore for mackerel and bonita (for bait). I've actually been using these rigs for some lighter weight bottom fishing and while I've boated a several nice snapper with them, the 15lb drag limit isn't working as well as I imagine something else could for a medium duty bottom rig. I have a 7' Penn Power stick that is beefier than the Star live bait rods that I think will end up being perfect for the reel I'm looking for. What would you suggest for a reel with a little higher drag potential? I would like to run braid on this reel as I'm just not really feeling bites when dropping a 12oz lead in 100' of water with a live sardine on a circle hook. Looking for line capacity around 350+ yds of capacity and I'm thinking 50lb braid? I've got 2 heavy Star bottom rods with 4/0 Senators and heavy braid on them when targeting grouper but I'd like something that will help me get a 20lb snapper turned without having to thumb the spool too often. The jigmasters on the live bait rods just don't have enough horsepower to turn these bigger snapper and I'm not really getting any feedback when something bites. I'm catching fish but I'm missing quite a few.

thorhammer

Penn Magpower are Jigmaster size with ball bearings and 4/0 size drags; black and gold will match your Power Stick. Do you have a PC 3821 or PC3811?

Your other option is hotrod a Jigmaster or 3/0 with steel gears and drag upgrade from Bryan Young or versa insert.

igoswoop

It's a PC3821.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Mag Power; I'd never seen this reel series before but don't see any 990's available at the moment. Any other reels you'd suggest?

How much drag upgrade can be applied to a hotrodded jigmaster? I was also under the impression that it wasn't a good idea to run braid on one?

thorhammer

How much drag can one take....well depends on the upgrades. If you go with aluminum frame and Cortez Conversion plates with the internal goodies, probably over 20lbs. I'm sure someone has tested this, Sal probably knows for certain. I'll hook up a scale tonight and check on my Cortez 501 with steel gears, double dog bridge and carbontex drag (not Bryans or the inserts, which probably generate 20-50% more. make sure you get a stainless gear sleeve if you go this route or you will be rounding it off on the crank.

980 is smaller diameter but same drags; 970 is narrow 980. Both can stand 50 lb braid and they have 4.1 ratio as I recall.

Alto Mare

Your  guessing is a good one John, the Jigmaster loaded with upgrades could handle 20lbs without breaking a sweat.
On the 970-980, you were very close, the ratio is 4.25:1. The 990 is a little faster 4.7:1.
These are tough little reels.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

Note the double dogging in my 501 AND 970 are courtesy of Sal!!! Thanks pal!!!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: igoswoop on June 12, 2017, 07:16:55 PM
It's a PC3821.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Mag Power; I'd never seen this reel series before but don't see any 990's available at the moment. Any other reels you'd suggest?

How much drag upgrade can be applied to a hotrodded jigmaster? I was also under the impression that it wasn't a good idea to run braid on one?

Here's a nice 990 in the original box with travel bag, manuals, lube, wrench, etc.  I also have a new in the box spare spool.  I would rate the reel as a 9+ on a 10 scale and I could deliver all of the above to you for $145 Paypal plus shipping at the cost of postage.  If that works for you, please let me know.

thorhammer

There you go Swoop; 990 with twice the power and faster than a Jiggy. One will come up and can usually be had for less than $120. You can spend $400 on a Jiggy should you choose to go the full hawg on it, but then it doesn't have the old skool look anymore. I'd put a 113H (4/0 sleeve size) handle on the 990 and see if you like it; if not you can sell those reels all day. The 990 has a six screw stand, solid cross bars, and aluminum reinforced rings so is maybe twice as strong as Jigmaster out of the box.

I think the Jiggy quick take apart feature is preserved if you only sub in a solid frame (I'll check or someone correct me). That could work well for you if you upgrade the mechanicals and keep spare spools loaded with braid or mono, with a quick switch for your application du jour.

thorhammer

Randy posted while I was typing...there's your rig right there with all the ancillaries. LT 120$ will get you one with some use on it and no box, spool etc., and if Randy says its a 9 you will have to look closely to see where that minus one came from.

igoswoop

thorhammer

That will work for you on that 3821 very well.  If I don't upgrade clamp I got off studs to fit and use acorn nuts.

igoswoop

I'm pumped. Randy, pls PM me or let me know how to reach you best to settle up. I'm ready when you are.

Thanks for the quick replies from all of you. That reel is spot on with what I had in mind and it could probably fill in on some light trolling or heavier live baiting. Really looking forward to it.

Just curious since the 970 model came up in both my search after you turned me onto these Mag Powers, why would one choose a narrow spool model in any reel? The Penn Sailfisher and I believe the Master Mariner were some other designs that included this configuration as an option. I've never seen one up close and don't really understand the benefits that they offer and why you'd choose one.

Also, not really tracking on your last post re: the acorn nuts and the clamp. I think I'm missing something?

Shark Hunter

A reel that is narrow can take a lot more abuse as far as the frame twisting, Verses a wide reel.
Instead of wing nuts on the rod clamp, John cuts the clamp bolts to size and uses acorn nuts on them.
Much cleaner and you wont catch anything on the protruding studs like you do with wing nuts.
Good choice on that reel, and good advice John. ;)
I would have slapped a 114H on there and called it a day.
But that's just me. ;D
Life is Good!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: igoswoop on June 13, 2017, 12:18:13 AM
I'm pumped. Randy, pls PM me or let me know how to reach you best to settle up. I'm ready when you are.

Thanks for the quick replies from all of you. That reel is spot on with what I had in mind and it could probably fill in on some light trolling or heavier live baiting. Really looking forward to it.

PM sent!

swill88

Glad you are buying it... otherwise I would!