Looking to expand my quiver

Started by igoswoop, June 12, 2017, 04:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

igoswoop

Thanks for clearing that up regarding the clamp; that makes sense now and that's a great idea using the acorn nuts instead of the wing nuts.

I can see how getting the side plates closer together would resist twisting better now that you point that out. In what situation would a reel be subject to a force that would cause it to twist? I'm still having a tough time understanding the moment where someone says "oh we're going to catch _(fish)_ using _(bait/lure)_ while _(technique/trolling/bottom/etc)_ . I'll bring my narrow reel."

sdlehr

Quote from: igoswoop on June 13, 2017, 11:47:00 AMIn what situation would a reel be subject to a force that would cause it to twist?
When you start hot-rodding reels and bring them to a level past that for which they were intended the forces begin to add up. The twist would occur under a heavy load when the line was at one end of its excursion across the spool. You get just a little more pull on one end of the spool than the other, and if something (is loose or) fails the whole thing snowballs and the frame twists. It doesn't take much to bring the bushings out of alignment, and then you have no free spool or even worse... some twisted reels aren't twisted enough for it to be noticeable until the crank is turned.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

thorhammer

Quote from: igoswoop on June 13, 2017, 12:18:13 AM
I'm pumped. Randy, pls PM me or let me know how to reach you best to settle up. I'm ready when you are.

Thanks for the quick replies from all of you. That reel is spot on with what I had in mind and it could probably fill in on some light trolling or heavier live baiting. Really looking forward to it.

Just curious since the 970 model came up in both my search after you turned me onto these Mag Powers, why would one choose a narrow spool model in any reel? The Penn Sailfisher and I believe the Master Mariner were some other designs that included this configuration as an option. I've never seen one up close and don't really understand the benefits that they offer and why you'd choose one.

Also, not really tracking on your last post re: the acorn nuts and the clamp. I think I'm missing something?

Thanks D! He explained the acorn nut thing better. I'll post a pic. You might also ask Randy if he has an aluminum clamp that fits it (I have an Accurate aftermarket clamp on mine, Sal does too). You are correct, the outfit will work just fine for trolling or live baiting. I used mine kingfishing. Note, they are magged and cast very well also, though I wouldn't try a max heave with braid and I seven foot rod. I use the 980's drum fishing, which is what they were designed for, and hit over a hundred yds easily with a 12' rod. Randy likely has a power handle also, if not MysticParts.com (Scott's) or ebay will. For turning a snapper that will be a lot easier than stock handle. The 970 is a great jigging reel with decent retrieve and power, as noted. It's capacity is maybe a half of the 980.

If Cortez ever makes frames for these reels, that would take the place of a whole lot of reels I own.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Jim Fujitani

Most guys on the west coast are not familiar with Star rods.  Your Star rod is probably better quality than a Penn.  I would have compared most models of Star rods with Calstar (here on the west coast) and Seeker (West and East coasts) brands. and depending on the model Star rod, even better.

thorhammer

The newer Star Aerial's are comparable to the Power Stick line, incidentally my go-to for king fishing paired with GS 545 and 555 on 3811's. The Deluxe line is a step up, IMO. Haven't fished with Calstar enough to compare, but either Star line is ok for what I do. I use the Deluxe 50 IFGA models with my Everol 50's. Very nice pairings.

Recent trip with The Tank on an Aerial stand-up pulling planer did fine on blackfins.

igoswoop

Thank you all for hopping on this so quickly. I should have the reel this Friday (thanks Randy).

One question from my original post, was there a good search feature or google advanced search you'd recommend so I don't start too many redundant threads? That gets new guys thumped on pretty quick on a lot of forums and I'm not trying to be a pest. Since this got solved so quickly, looking into the options of hot rodding some 4/0 Senators next.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Mike if you decide to hot rod your 4/0s, I have a good collection of made in the USA Accurate 4:1 stainless gears and Accurate, Newell and Tiburon frames and spools in all widths from narrow to extra wide, all made in the USA.
Thanks,
Randy

igoswoop

Have a good link for a plan to follow?

igoswoop

Not only did the reel arrive a day early, but I have to say Randy didn't describe it too well. No way this reel is a 9. If I were to resell it which I'm not, a TEN all the way. Not sure about the rules with sales around here but as a complete stranger less than a week ago, Randy AKA Vintage Offshore Tackle, runs a business that more outfits ought to take notice of in how to treat a customer. I am beyond satisfied with this reel and now that it's here a day early, it's going to my local shop for some braid first thing in the morning so I can fish it tomorrow afternoon. Excuse me while I nerd out with the original catalog and manual...

Thanks again to all for hopping on this. Getting this reel wet manyana!! Have a good one!

thorhammer

Re Randy, both his business ethics and his "rating scale"....told ya so!!  Top shelf.

Good luck with the reel tomorrow!

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Thank you Mike and John for the kind words.  Nothing makes my day like hearing from a happy customer!

Randy

igoswoop

This reel is exactly what I was looking for.

Since it's going into service pretty much right away, I went ahead and tore it down to give it a thorough cleaning (not that hardly any was needed aesthetically) and wanted to get some fresh grease in it. I don't think I got it quite right.

I polished up the brass bridge and the gear sleeve surface that contacts it under the - lets call it the - "gear" that interfaces with the dog.  It seemed to drag just a little at that part of contact but turned smooth once polished up. I cleaned out all the old grease off the pinion gear and the main gear along with the eccentric jack and pinion yoke. I replaced a light coat of grease on the brass parts and reassembled. The manual states not to pack the gears with grease so I applied a light bead while turning the gear sleeve along to get some grease in the teeth. I reassembled the reel and now I'm feeling a little bit of roughness. Its as if I can feel each tooth of the gear thumping into mesh. Did I not apply enough grease?

Rancanfish

I have two of the 990, great little reel.

Not sure what exactly you did that affected it, but did you check that your spool adjust / bearing isn't too tight?

If it's too much grease, it should squeeze out pretty quick I would think. Try working it a bit over the next couple of days.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

igoswoop

I've got it pretty well backed off; little bit of side to side play in the spool.  I'm afraid I may have boogered the pinion a little separating the ring from it. >:(

Swami805

My 970 was the kind of grindy too after I cleaned it. Pretty sure the yoke wasn't lined up right with the jack and the pinion wasn't meshing with the main gear right. Added more grease and shifted the jack a bit and it smoothed out. You might try that
Do what you can with that you have where you are