Previous topic - Next topic

Tightlines667

Looking good!

Nithing wrong with fresh King Mac.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Swami805

I use the same brine method for smoking fish too but add a blend of spices , works great for yellowfin tuna. I put green lemon wood on a bed of red oak coals for smoke, citrus wood is the best for smoking fish IMO. That fish on the grill looks tasty.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

igoswoop

So I've got some AT stainless gear sleeves and some new handles coming for my jig masters from Scott's. I don't really plan on running more than 10lbs of drag or so on them.  Any other good ideas you all would suggest for these reels?

thorhammer

Have you already put carbontex drag in? I'd stop there if you are gonna use them kingfishing, functionally. If you decide to go all-in, Cortez Classic Conversion kit and everything you already have will drop straight in. The reels should do fine as you have them at ten pounds though, providing you have the solid cross bars and not gen one posts..

igoswoop

No carbontex yet.  Is that the smoothdrag.com guy?

I have the solid crossbars. I'll take a look at the Cortez Conversion.  You mentioned them before. Do you have a 500 done with one of their frames?  How do you like it?

thorhammer

Smooth drag and Pennparts both have carbontex and that's your first and main upgrade. No I don't have "a" Classic conversion...I think I have ten...not really needed for a king but dang they are the sweetest and freespool is outstanding. Some of the blue ones below. I also have green and silver in some reels.

igoswoop

igoswoop

Bonehead move in the ordering process. I ordered a pair of the ss AT design gear sleeves for the jigmasters from Scott's (along with a pair of 3 position power handles) last week. Didn't realize there was coarse thread and fine thread gear sleeve. My drag stars are for fine thread and I just finished installing the ss gear sleeve on one of the reels. I was pumped because my smoothdrag order showed up unexpectedly early so I sat down and started slamming the first reel together. Oh well. I'll be ordering 2 new coarse thread drag stars tonight and hopefully have them by the end of the week. I'll be paying closer attention next time I upgrade a part. Didn't know there was even a different thread pitch available. Hope the stars cut for coarse thread aren't too tough to find. Happy 4th to everyone! :)

thorhammer

I) Scott's is about always early, not inexpectedly :)

2) they should have the coarse thread. Instead of looking at the schematc only, always read full section on the reel; Mo and Scott do a great job keeping up eith design changes so you know what goes together and put in a blurb at top of each parts page where applicable.

igoswoop

I see that now. Their explanations are pretty thorough if one takes the time to read them.  ::)

2 10-60BS drag wheels on the way!

thorhammer

yeah, I've a 505 fine thread or two for the same reason, lol

Maxed Out

Quote from: thorhammer on June 30, 2017, 07:12:27 PM
Smooth drag and Pennparts both have carbontex and that's your first and main upgrade. No I don't have "a" Classic conversion...I think I have ten...not really needed for a king but dang they are the sweetest and freespool is outstanding. Some of the blue ones below. I also have green and silver in some reels.

Whoa there John. You can't be serious  :o  :o

What else you got hiding in your belfry ?? Feel free to share more.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

igoswoop

Kind of underwhelmed and stumped right now.  ???

My drag stars came in for my 500's and I wasted no time getting them slapped in. I know 100% I installed the carbontex drag stack in the correct order and the keyed washer is timed into the recesses as it should be. It took a couple tries to line it all up when bolting the bridge back in. The combination of the new power handle, the new gear sleeve and the new drag star seems to be a little more mass than the stock parts. Even with the drag star backed off all the way (tightly bottoming out against the handle), there seems to still be too much drag pressure being exerted on the spacing sleeve that compresses the drag stack. A haven't put it on a scale yet but I will tomorrow.  The only way I can see gaining the ability to back off the drag a little more would be to shave down the spacing sleeve (part # 9-60). I don't know if this is a good idea in that I imagine the part is chrome plated brass and grinding a few thousandths off will probably make it more susceptible to corrosion. Bummed out. I was really looking forward to getting this guys spooled up later tonight and get these outfits back into the rotation.

Anyone run into this? Do the carbontex drag washers break in some?

RowdyW

Igoswoop, Penn Parts has different lengths of that spacer sleeve. I generally find that a .040 shorter sleeve does the trick. Or go ahead & shave it down & put the shaved end down into the grease on top of the drag stack. Just keep it square. The drag doesn't have to be backed off 100%. A pound or two of drag when backed off is OK.                 Rudy

igoswoop

Thanks Rowdy; I'll take a look but in the meantime, I'll cut the sleeves down 20-30 thousandths and see how they work.

On a side note, I hate to nitpick but these drag stars are the correct thread pitch but the overall diameter of the stars is really small it seems like. I know I put a much bigger handle on the reels than was originally intended but these stars seem almost out of place.  Will a senator star work?