Looking to expand my quiver

Started by igoswoop, June 12, 2017, 04:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RowdyW

No, the largest Penn star that will fit is one from a longbeach 66. Adam of Three Se7ens makes custom stars up to 3" in diameter in stainless steel.          Rudy

ez2cdave

Quote from: igoswoop on June 12, 2017, 04:02:05 PMI have an older Mako 20 that I fish out of Canaveral, FL. With the teak trim and the older school style the boat has, my older Penns just look the part and I enjoy using them.

I'm an "Old School" guy . . . Post up some pics of your Mako, brisltling with "old school" Penn goodness !

Tight Lines !

igoswoop

'87 Mako 20C... Not true Mako old school but still plenty of cues from the designs from the 70's.  The 20 back then was a stretched version of the Schwebke's original Mako 19 (THE original Mako).  I was 6 when this boat was new so fair enough for me to call it old school  :) 
The leaning post & T top was not really part of the plan back then but the shade is great.  This boat has been perfect for calmer days out of Canaveral and enough room to take my wife and the dogs to the sandbar for a picnic. I could see myself owning other boats down the road but it would be hard to ever talk me into selling this one. I've just made too many memories in this boat to let it go.

Pulling some live pogeys with the jigmasters...

Couple of AJs and a king before icing them down

ez2cdave

Quote from: igoswoop on July 10, 2017, 02:01:07 AMI was 6 when this boat was new so fair enough for me to call it old school  :) 

I was 26 when your boat was new . . . LOL !

igoswoop

Awesome!  They don't make them like they used to; goes for people too  :)

thorhammer

Yeah, the only way you should let go of that boat is if I buy it. About as a functional layout day-in-day-out as could be. CC's from that era typically had Captain's chairs; a terrible waste of space in a CC less than 26ft IMO. Teak looks great.

Curiously, AJ's in NC are considered trash but are on menus in Fla. I grilled a piece once from an AJ I had caught, taking care to only use top loin and stay away from parasites in the caudal peduncle (that's for you, John, lol). Melted butter and fresh lemon and it was very similar to grouper: white, flaky, mild. Tasty.

You already got power handles; swap the drags and it'd have to be a real smoker to press those Jiggy's. The 990 Magpower is well able to pull a medium planer with a pogy to get you down. I'd put 30 on it if you haven't spooled yet.

igoswoop

I couldn't agree more on the layout. These older 20's are the cure for "two-foot-itis". I missed my '73 Mako 17 Angler for the first few months I owned this one but where I live, there isn't much I can't find a way to do out of this boat. One day I'll add a flats boat and a bigger walk around but this rig keeps me on the bite.

I spooled the 990 with 50lb braid to use primarily as my light bottom rod as intended but if it were doing more trolling duty in the future, 30lb mono it would be.

Heading out again tomorrow to see if this mango bite is still on!

thorhammer

ez2cdave

Quote from: igoswoop on July 10, 2017, 02:01:07 AM
'87 Mako 20C... Not true Mako old school but still plenty of cues from the designs from the 70's.  The 20 back then was a stretched version of the Schwebke's original Mako 19 (THE original Mako).  I was 6 when this boat was new so fair enough for me to call it old school  :) 

The leaning post & T top was not really part of the plan back then but the shade is great.  This boat has been perfect for calmer days out of Canaveral and enough room to take my wife and the dogs to the sandbar for a picnic. I could see myself owning other boats down the road but it would be hard to ever talk me into selling this one. I've just made too many memories in this boat to let it go.

Seeing your boat made me feel young again, but then the mirror brought me back to reality . . . Man, do I hate mirrors - LOL !

Tight Lines !